All in the name of Free Speech, I'm sure

taijasi

Gnōthi seauton
Reaction score
(with Biblical justification, God's very own backing, to boot! What more could you ask!)

Christian hate Pastor Steven Anderson prays for Obama's death
Christian hate Pastor Steven Anderson is praying for President Barack Obama's death. Anderson, yet another hate spewing homophobic Christian, is Pastor of the Faithful World Baptist Church, in Tempe, Arizona.

Aside from praying for President Barack Obama's death, Pastor Anderson seems fixated on homosexuality. His fixation is clearly unhealthy, and could very well be indicative of an individual unable to process his own sexual confusion.
Hmmm ...

(with Biblical justification, God's very own backing, to boot! What more could you ask!)

Christian hate Pastor Steven Anderson is praying for President Barack Obama's death. Anderson, yet another hate spewing homophobic Christian, is Pastor of the Faithful World Baptist Church, in Tempe, Arizona.

Aside from praying for President Barack Obama's death, Pastor Anderson seems fixated on homosexuality. His fixation is clearly unhealthy, and could very well be indicative of an individual unable to process his own sexual confusion.
Hmmm ...

do you have a chip on your shoulder, a large one ?

do you have a chip on your shoulder, a large one ?
You mean do I hate homos, and pretty much anyone who generally doesn't believe the way I do? No. Do you?

Do I pray for other people's deaths, even the ones I disagree with, and who get in the way of progress - social, spiritual, and otherwise? No. Do you?

And would I dare to stand in front of other people and ask them to follow suit, and carry on like this? No. Would you?

"Forgive them Father, for ..."

Indeed.

A radical will go to ANY length, once she thinks she's got god on her side. She will bomb abortion clinics, and suddenly that's not okay ... yet somehow for an idiot like this to stand up and mislead other people is still accepted in America - why?

It's our RIGHT, we say. It's free speech. And the consequences? None, if god is on your side. Pick up a Bible, and suddenly that condition is met. Hmmm.

Looks to me like the person with the CHIP is this disgrace named Steve Anderson. Seems he hates pinkos, ****, and about anyone else not sitting in his pews.

Glory, do I have a bit of a chip when it comes to HYPOCRISY?

You bet I do.

well if not you then the author of the article

does this sort of thing appeal to you ?

Anderson, yet another hate spewing homophobic Christian,

Anderson trots out the usual Christian slander and smear on the gay lifestyle.

whoever wrote this crap is clearly a hate filled and ignorant :eek:

Hi Andrew! waves

This pastor's behavior is not Christian, imo. See what Jesus had to say about this sort of thing:
Luke 9
51 Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem, 52 and sent messengers before His face. And as they went, they entered a village of the Samaritans, to prepare for Him. 53 But they did not receive Him, because His face was set for the journey to Jerusalem. 54 And when His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?”[e]
55 But He turned and rebuked them,[f] and said, “You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. 56 For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.
[g] And they went to another village.​

Je suis d'accord, seattlegal. After all, I like to think the gist of Christ's words is uncontaminated here.

WWJD - Would Jesus condone, let alone answer, this man's prayers?

I doubt it. Isn't that why the scene with the Holy Hand Grenade in Monty Python's is so funny???

("Oh Lord bless this, Thy hand grenade, that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.")

As for the homophobia, that's almost worse. Judge not, for as ye judge so shall ye be judged. And something about casting the first stone???

Hmmm ....

Seems it's EASY to toss this crap around about hating the sin, loving the sinner. Meanwhile, Christ is still wondering, when are you going to get around to the loving part?

So, have at my glass house, and when you feel better about it, then what? (not you, Seattlegal, not anyone in particular - we are all, after all, in this together)

But I, for one, regardless of personal feelings, like to think I know what Christ actually meant. "Hating the sin" means that if you find homosexuality inappropriate for you (and certainly if you think it should not become the status quo), then don't practice it. Stay heterosexual.

Now work on the loving the sinner part. Remember forgiveness? Or have you forgotten about that while you're busy throwing rocks, condeming others, and generally putting up such a fuss because someone dares to call attention to some of the problems we have in such sickos as Steve Anderson.

Do most Christians slander others and smear the gay lifestyle? Well, umm, have you been to the rural south (of the United States) recently?

Plan a TRIP, if not. You just might be surprised.

The threat against the President, however, is what bothers me. Self-righteousness knows no limits. And that is why, of the 7 deadly sins - Pride comes in tops.

Je suis d'accord, seattlegal. After all, I like to think the gist of Christ's words is uncontaminated here.

WWJD - Would Jesus condone, let alone answer, this man's prayers?

I doubt it. Isn't that why the scene with the Holy Hand Grenade in Monty Python's is so funny???

("Oh Lord bless this, Thy hand grenade, that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.")

As for the homophobia, that's almost worse. Judge not, for as ye judge so shall ye be judged. And something about casting the first stone???

Hmmm ....

Seems it's EASY to toss this crap around about hating the sin, loving the sinner. Meanwhile, Christ is still wondering, when are you going to get around to the loving part?

So, have at my glass house, and when you feel better about it, then what? (not you, Seattlegal, not anyone in particular - we are all, after all, in this together)

But I, for one, regardless of personal feelings, like to think I know what Christ actually meant. "Hating the sin" means that if you find homosexuality inappropriate for you (and certainly if you think it should not become the status quo), then don't practice it. Stay heterosexual.

Now work on the loving the sinner part. Remember forgiveness? Or have you forgotten about that while you're busy throwing rocks, condeming others, and generally putting up such a fuss because someone dares to call attention to some of the problems we have in such sickos as Steve Anderson.

Do most Christians slander others and smear the gay lifestyle? Well, umm, have you been to the rural south (of the United States) recently?

Plan a TRIP, if not. You just might be surprised.

The threat against the President, however, is what bothers me. Self-righteousness knows no limits. And that is why, of the 7 deadly sins - Pride comes in tops.
Reminds me of the "poisoned waters" metaphors in the scriptures. ;)

Hating gay people doesn't mean you are a homosexual..... *rolls eyes* I used to get that as a kid in school..... I thought it was just childrens dense and thick skulls that this logic couldn't penertrate..... But, seems alot of people seem to think this.... You can hate something as an oddity, as a threat.... Because your views strongly differ to it... Not because of some confused conflict..... Self denial.... I guess.

There is a wonderful story from the writings of Denys the Areopagite:

When I was once in Crete, the holy Carpus entertained me, – a man, of all others, most fitted, on account of great purity of mind, for Divine Vision.

He said then, when some one of the unbelievers had at one time grieved him (and his grief was, that he had led astray to ungodliness a certain member of the Church, whilst the days of rejoicing were still being celebrated for him); that he ought compassionately to have prayed on behalf of both, and taking God, the Saviour, as his fellow-helper, to convert the one, and to overcome the other by goodness, and not to have ceased warning them so long as he lived until this day; and thus to lead them to the knowledge of God, so that the things disputed by them might be clearly determined, and those, who were irrationally bold, might be compelled to be wiser by a judgment according to law.

Now, as he had never before experienced this, I do not know how he then went to bed with such a surfeit of ill-will and bitterness. In this evil condition he went to sleep, for it was evening, and at midnight (for he was accustomed at that appointed hour to rise, of his own accord, for the Divine melodies) he arose, not having enjoyed, undisturbed, his slumbers, which were many and continually broken; and, when he stood collected for the, Divine Converse, he was guiltily vexed and displeased, saying, that it was not just that godless men, who pervert the straight ways of the Lord, should live. And, whilst saying this, he besought Almighty God, by some stroke of lightning, suddenly, without mercy, to cut short the lives of them both.

But, whilst saying this, he declared, that he seemed to see suddenly the house in which he stood, first torn asunder, and from the roof divided into two in the midst, and a sort of gleaming fire before his eyes (for the place seemed now under the open sky) borne down from the heavenly region close to him; and, the heaven itself giving way, and upon the back of the heaven, Jesus, with innumerable angels, in the form of men, standing around Him.

This indeed, he saw, above, and himself marvelled; but below, when Carpus had bent down, he affirmed that he saw the very foundation ripped in two, to a sort of yawning and dark chasm, and those very men, upon whom he had invoked a curse, standing before his eyes, within the mouth of the chasm, trembling, pitiful, only just not yet carried down by the mere slipping of their feet; and from below the chasm, serpents, creeping up and gliding from underneath, around their feet, now contriving to drag them away, and weighing them down, and lifting them up, and again inflaming or irritating with their teeth or their tails, and all the time endeavouring to pull them down into the yawning gulf; and that certain men also were in the midst, co-operating with the serpents against these men, at once tearing and pushing and beating them down.

And they seemed to be on the point of falling, partly against their will, partly by their will; almost overcome by the calamity, and at the same time resigned. And Carpus said, that he himself was glad, whilst looking below, and that he was forgetful of the things above ...

And, when with difficulty he raised himself, he saw the heaven again, as he saw it before, and Jesus, moved with pity at what was taking place, standing up from His super-celestial throne, and descending to them, and stretching a helping hand, and the angels, co-operating with Him, taking hold of the two men, one from one place and another from, another, and the Lord Jesus said to Carpus, whilst His hand was yet extended:

"Strike against Me in future, for I am ready, even again, to suffer for the salvation of men; and this is pleasing to Me, provided that other men do not commit sin. But see, whether it is well for thee to exchange the dwelling in the chasm, and with serpents, for that with God, and the good and philanthropic angels."

These are the things which I heard myself, and believe to be true.

Denys the PseudoAreopagite
Epistle VIII, vi.

Thomas

Namaste Andrew!

So good to see a post. I was wondering who would bring this up....and if I had to name a dozen folks I wouldn't have considered you'd visit for this.

But yes, as far as I can tell it is apalling. However we found much of Reverend Wrights language to be colorful when taken out of context... I've got to look into it more but on first glance....it is teetering on treason!

Re: Careful what you ask for - and how you ask it

wil, Namaskar!

(here's a wordy one for ya :p)

Yeah, against better judgment this was the first post I made today, but I'm glad to see the response it's gotten, overall. I'm afraid I sufficiently derailed my own thread by getting somewhat lost in the gay angle on it ... since the part that jumped out at me was this guy actually PRAYING for anything alone the lines of ill will or the removal of President Obama.

The significance and Purpose of Prayer has increasingly seemed to me to revolve around the idea that we ourselves can become channels (conscious, willing, cooperative conduits) for Divine Energy. This most certainly includes Love and Light, and with the New Revelation that Christ is to bring it will also increasingly involve a measure of Power.

The disturbing aspect of what this self-righteous pri- ... umm, I mean, misguided person ... is doing is to invoke Divine Energy(ies) with such a negative, focused, destructive end in mind. The presumptuousness is part of where he gets off track, since it is by no means the role of the clergy to impose their personal political views upon others, especially not their own congregations, let alone possible viewing/listening audiences at large. But that isn't the worst of it.

In the acknowledgment that our world is as yet an imperfect world, wherein what we call evil still finds too great a foothold, I think Christians rightly apprehend the basic holdup - the disjunction or disconnect between Humanity and Deity - which prevented the accomplishment of more of the Divine Purpose for us 2100 years ago. This was indicated by the Christ in several ways, but none so evident as the fact His Ministry on earth was cut short to only 3 years before the backlash of the dark forces grew too great. The words, "Father, please forgive them ..." also suggest that we really did not realize the magnitude of what kind of DIVINE IMPERATIVE we were holding up by attempting to put out the Light, and squelch the Love, of God's greatest Messenger yet.

We can practice forgiveness as we consider the case of a Steve Anderson, or any other hate-spewing hypocrite who dares to call himself `Christian,' though I wonder - just how is it that these self-appointed evangelists still manage to have an appeal? Is it 19th century mesmerism (known contemporarily as hypnotism) resurfacing in a devilish guise? Is it some Divine Purpose which we do not yet quite understand, showing us that indeed, we must learn to hate the sin, but love the sinner, by giving us a perfect example of the latter? After all, what an excellent opportunity! Or could it be that we are simply seeing part of the holdouts, an unfortunate pocket, here & there, of resistance to the practicing of Christ's message of Love, understanding and forgiveness?

I think it is a combination of all three. Fortunately, for folks like this wolf-in-sheep's clothing, time is running out. Not much longer will people turn a deaf ear and a blind eye to this kind of hate-spewing, because no matter how you try to defend this as `free speech,' it is not at all far from the kind of focused and intentional evil that prevailed for a time in Nazi Germany. It has been said that the only sin of the New Era is separativeness. And attempting to invoke the Divine Will to further one's own narrow, misguided political agendas, besides the ostracism, stereotyping and outright persecution of homosexuals ... THIS is certainly separative, divisive, and clearly not without it's karmic consequences.

As ye sow ...

The energy of Divine Will, which we can witness beginning to reach Humanity more directly from the Father's House, is best directed along the channels carefully prepared by Loving hearts and enLightend minds. The consequences of invoking this energy into an environment wherein negativity still holds sway ... are usually destructive, possibly even to the point of what we call devastation. {Curiously enough this word even contains the Sanskrit word `deva,' suggesting the very Angels whom & which embody ALL spiritual energies, however they might manifest - although `devastate' is actually from the Latin, etymologically ... meaning `to lay waste'.}

The impact of untempered Spiritual Power in such circumstances where negativity rules the day are wide-reaching, affecting us all. As we are finally learning, we are all in this TOGETHER. But the Law of Cause and Effect (Sowing and Reaping, as Christ taught it) - while impersonal - is not arbitrary. Hate-spewing individuals and groups must learn their lesson, preferably sooner rather than later, for their own benefit and for the good of the greater whole. To dig in and drag their proverbial heels only slows Spiritual progress for everyone on our little planet, and on one level (albeit well beyond us), this means to interfere with God's Plan, and perhaps even the timetable for Christ's outward reappearance.

If this hatemongering preacherman wants to pray for his own political agendas, let him take such misguided efforts into the privacy of his own home and his own heart, for indeed, when teaching us how it is we should go about prayer, Christ is on record as saying, "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret" (Matthew 6:6). Esoteric implications aside, I think the instruction here is clear enough. And if Anderson gets lost while he's in there, and never again sees the light of day - well, all the better. :rolleyes:

My own hope (not prayer) would be that he finds the Light and Love he's missing, sees the error of his ways, and openly apologizes for his statements. That, however, is something for which I will not hold my breath. There were those like him 2100 years ago, and they will probably be around in another 2100. Fortunately, they will by then have become a true endangered species ... and I doubt many conservation groups will have much pity for their plight.

My own, fervent prayer, is that folks like Anderson will come back to the basics. Let them focus on the Lord's Prayer, or Our Father. Let them teach the same Love and Forgiveness which were at the heart of Christ's message and Ministry. And above all, let them BE THE EXAMPLE which they so cherish in Christ Jesus ... let them strive to embody - Christ in (us all), the Hope of Glory (and surely, the promise of Peace).

Namaskar

They meant it for evil but G!d meant it for good.

Forgive them for they know not what they do.

As I see it, it is all good.

I thought for sure that the election of Barack Obama would uncover our latent racism and allow the cleansing that is needed to release us from such bigotry and move forward.

It appears it is occuring, we need to thank those who try to polarize in these ways as they are not promoting their cause but identifying and isolating the problem.

All is well!

peace my brother.

Namaskar....

If God doesn't kill the President does that mean that Jesus disapproved of the prayer? Will Pastor Steven Anderson apologize to God for misapprehending His will?

Obadiah Abdullah life goes on bra
Lala how the life goes on
Obadiah Abdullah life goes on bra
Lala how the life goes on.

Namaste Bra,

sorry just couldn't help myself...

but thank you these and other questions we are waiting to here....

but seriously G!d answers all prayers,

sometimes the answer is no.

Hmmm ...
One bad apple don't spoil the whole barrel...

Re: Careful what you ask for - and how you ask it

wil, Namaskar!

(here's a wordy one for ya :p)

Yeah, against better judgment this was the first post I made today, but I'm glad to see the response it's gotten, overall. I'm afraid I sufficiently derailed my own thread by getting somewhat lost in the gay angle on it ... since the part that jumped out at me was this guy actually PRAYING for anything alone the lines of ill will or the removal of President Obama.

The significance and Purpose of Prayer has increasingly seemed to me to revolve around the idea that we ourselves can become channels (conscious, willing, cooperative conduits) for Divine Energy. This most certainly includes Love and Light, and with the New Revelation that Christ is to bring it will also increasingly involve a measure of Power.

The disturbing aspect of what this self-righteous pri- ... umm, I mean, misguided person ... is doing is to invoke Divine Energy(ies) with such a negative, focused, destructive end in mind. The presumptuousness is part of where he gets off track, since it is by no means the role of the clergy to impose their personal political views upon others, especially not their own congregations, let alone possible viewing/listening audiences at large. But that isn't the worst of it.

In the acknowledgment that our world is as yet an imperfect world, wherein what we call evil still finds too great a foothold, I think Christians rightly apprehend the basic holdup - the disjunction or disconnect between Humanity and Deity - which prevented the accomplishment of more of the Divine Purpose for us 2100 years ago. This was indicated by the Christ in several ways, but none so evident as the fact His Ministry on earth was cut short to only 3 years before the backlash of the dark forces grew too great. The words, "Father, please forgive them ..." also suggest that we really did not realize the magnitude of what kind of DIVINE IMPERATIVE we were holding up by attempting to put out the Light, and squelch the Love, of God's greatest Messenger yet.

We can practice forgiveness as we consider the case of a Steve Anderson, or any other hate-spewing hypocrite who dares to call himself `Christian,' though I wonder - just how is it that these self-appointed evangelists still manage to have an appeal? Is it 19th century mesmerism (known contemporarily as hypnotism) resurfacing in a devilish guise? Is it some Divine Purpose which we do not yet quite understand, showing us that indeed, we must learn to hate the sin, but love the sinner, by giving us a perfect example of the latter? After all, what an excellent opportunity! Or could it be that we are simply seeing part of the holdouts, an unfortunate pocket, here & there, of resistance to the practicing of Christ's message of Love, understanding and forgiveness?

I think it is a combination of all three. Fortunately, for folks like this wolf-in-sheep's clothing, time is running out. Not much longer will people turn a deaf ear and a blind eye to this kind of hate-spewing, because no matter how you try to defend this as `free speech,' it is not at all far from the kind of focused and intentional evil that prevailed for a time in Nazi Germany. It has been said that the only sin of the New Era is separativeness. And attempting to invoke the Divine Will to further one's own narrow, misguided political agendas, besides the ostracism, stereotyping and outright persecution of homosexuals ... THIS is certainly separative, divisive, and clearly not without it's karmic consequences.

As ye sow ...

The energy of Divine Will, which we can witness beginning to reach Humanity more directly from the Father's House, is best directed along the channels carefully prepared by Loving hearts and enLightend minds. The consequences of invoking this energy into an environment wherein negativity still holds sway ... are usually destructive, possibly even to the point of what we call devastation. {Curiously enough this word even contains the Sanskrit word `deva,' suggesting the very Angels whom & which embody ALL spiritual energies, however they might manifest - although `devastate' is actually from the Latin, etymologically ... meaning `to lay waste'.}

The impact of untempered Spiritual Power in such circumstances where negativity rules the day are wide-reaching, affecting us all. As we are finally learning, we are all in this TOGETHER. But the Law of Cause and Effect (Sowing and Reaping, as Christ taught it) - while impersonal - is not arbitrary. Hate-spewing individuals and groups must learn their lesson, preferably sooner rather than later, for their own benefit and for the good of the greater whole. To dig in and drag their proverbial heels only slows Spiritual progress for everyone on our little planet, and on one level (albeit well beyond us), this means to interfere with God's Plan, and perhaps even the timetable for Christ's outward reappearance.

If this hatemongering preacherman wants to pray for his own political agendas, let him take such misguided efforts into the privacy of his own home and his own heart, for indeed, when teaching us how it is we should go about prayer, Christ is on record as saying, "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret" (Matthew 6:6). Esoteric implications aside, I think the instruction here is clear enough. And if Anderson gets lost while he's in there, and never again sees the light of day - well, all the better. :rolleyes:

My own hope (not prayer) would be that he finds the Light and Love he's missing, sees the error of his ways, and openly apologizes for his statements. That, however, is something for which I will not hold my breath. There were those like him 2100 years ago, and they will probably be around in another 2100. Fortunately, they will by then have become a true endangered species ... and I doubt many conservation groups will have much pity for their plight.

My own, fervent prayer, is that folks like Anderson will come back to the basics. Let them focus on the Lord's Prayer, or Our Father. Let them teach the same Love and Forgiveness which were at the heart of Christ's message and Ministry. And above all, let them BE THE EXAMPLE which they so cherish in Christ Jesus ... let them strive to embody - Christ in (us all), the Hope of Glory (and surely, the promise of Peace).

Namaskar

Well, well, look who's risen from the dead. How are you doin' Andrew? Be interested to know what you've been up to.

Welcome back! I missed your long posts.

Totally agree with all you've said as far as this Anderson fellow. As one who is currently a member of an independent fundamental Baptist church, I am appalled that this 'Pastor', if you want to call him that, has gone to such lengths as to condemn our Commander-in-Chief to the pit of hell. I am further perturbed by the fact that our church is listed in his church's directory! (a problem that has since been remedied by requested removal from the list).

Now while I'm not a fan of Obama, by any means, I believe the best way to help our President is to pray for him, as I Timothy 2:1-2 instructs so:

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

We need to pray for our leaders that they will gain the wisdom and gudiance necessary to execute the office upon which they have responsibility to uphold. It is counter-productive, and sets a dangerous precedence, to wish our leader to die.

We should recognize the God raises up leaders and tears them down. And that we should be subject to those in authority, according to Romans 13:1-7:

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing. Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

(Mind you, Paul is writing a letter to the Romans, whose governmental entities will eventually behead him)

As much as I dislike Obama, he is still my President for at least the next 3 1/2 years. Not that I have to agree with him on the issues; I can in peaceful protest let the administration know my voice, as is being done in townhall meetings currently being conducted all around the country concerning the healthcare reform issue. But that doesn't give me the right to condemn the President or resort to harsh name-calling. It is disrespectful for the Office that Obama holds.

Back