value systems questionnaire

bananabrain

awkward squadnik
Reaction score
i'm looking into ways of testing the validity of the spiral dynamics model and one of those involves doing personality tests.

i'd be really interested to see what sort of results people come up with on this site. i know what i'm expecting (this being a self-selecting sort of group) but would really like to hear about your profiles (not asking anyone to post their test results, of course)

you can take the relevant test here:

jobEQ's VSQ: Value Systems Questionnaire: Test the organizational culture

b'shalom

bananabrain

The registration information is off-putting - do they reall need my name, DOB, education background, occupation, and post code?

The registration information is off-putting - do they reall need my name, DOB, education background, occupation, and post code?

Yup, then they know if you are worthy of recruitment to their masterplan!!! Muhahahahahaha :p

brian,

i thought the same, but they're benchmarking against a representative sample of the population with a view to compensating for cultural, regional and educational specifics, which is an inherent use of the application. if you don't want to hand over that info, you can always give them slightly different information (say, a different day that month, or the postcode of somewhere down the road) so it's still valid but not useful for security purposes.

b'shalom

bananabrain

I saved the page with my results to disk. It's on xp though. I'll send it your way when I'm back there. I found it very curious that my strongest results were turquoise followed by yellow, but following that I had beige and purple. Course I'm a student and not presently working so all of my results could be a little wonky.

mine was curiously turquoise as well, which surprised me. incidentally, i've been working on a diagnostic of my own and want to test it out. it's in excel '03 - would appreciate feedback if you don't mind.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Ok, just done a couple of tests, but to be honest found the questions and answers to not simply be contrived, but to be obviously contrived to the point where they were very clear what they were trying to address or have addressed according to very narrow boundaries.

For example, how on earth does a test includes a number of answers about the workplace that asks about your spiritual feelings of work, whether you wish to be a tribe, supporting traditions, seek to enlighten, etc? Juxtaposed were clear aggressive terms focused on money, power, and conflict.

When you look at the results, it's clear they want to set up people into 8 very clearly different groups - but the groups themselves seem very forced and almost caricatured.

In other words, it was not a test of natural responses, but instead, a test that used obvious constructs in order to see how these blazingly obvious derivative constructs could allow a person to be pigeon-holed into a set of narrow constructs.

It all just felt very artificial, and the use of colour isn't indicative or useful - it's just another label for a very artificial box.

A weird thing is that I ended up with Turquoise and orange - and both seem somewhat contradictory (one follows materialism, the other a strange technological philosophy).

However, it is worth pointing out that the questions were focused solely on a work environment, and I'm not sure how you can dissociate many everyday work places from material concerns. Yet the test wanted to measure materialism without realising the inherent bias this might introduce.

Apologies, BB, not trying to trash the interest - the previous report on employment attitudes was interesting and insightful - but I've seen various attempts to "colour" people's attitudes, but each one has seemed to set out an artificial set of divisions, and then assign individuals to these divisions - with no other purpose than to label people according to these divisions, rather than describe anything real or tangible.

Then again, I'm an arrogant sod as well. :)

I said:
For example, how on earth does a test includes a number of answers about the workplace that asks about your spiritual feelings of work, whether you wish to be a tribe, supporting traditions, seek to enlighten, etc? Juxtaposed were clear aggressive terms focused on money, power, and conflict.
well, where i work, there are people who are very driven by the vocation to be in the sector they're in, because there is a family heritage, it's something they were interested in when they were small boys, it gives them a very warm feeling. that's a purple vMeme. in the same teams, there are people who are in it for the money, or the intellectual challenge, or for the sheer difficulty of meeting a tough deadline. sometimes, you can be "in it" for many different mixtures of reasons at once, because people are complicated.

When you look at the results, it's clear they want to set up people into 8 very clearly different groups - but the groups themselves seem very forced and almost caricatured.
no, you're missing the point of the theory, it is not that you are a purple or a red or an orange, but that you will have different behaviours depending on the situation or your underlying personality or whatever. the people involved are very clear it's not about putting people in boxes, but about a theory of human development.

In other words, it was not a test of natural responses, but instead, a test that used obvious constructs in order to see how these blazingly obvious derivative constructs could allow a person to be pigeon-holed into a set of narrow constructs.
well, they're obvious because they're real, i think. besides, built into the theory is the idea that people develop from one to the other and back again depending on contingent factors - you can't pigeon-hole someone who doesn't always act in the same way.

It all just felt very artificial, and the use of colour isn't indicative or useful - it's just another label for a very artificial box.
the colour is chosen specifically to be non-indicative, apparently, it's not supposed to give you any clue, although the "cooler" colours are more "we" and the warmer colours are more "me", but that's the extent of it.

A weird thing is that I ended up with Turquoise and orange - and both seem somewhat contradictory (one follows materialism, the other a strange technological philosophy).
then the vMemes associated with those colours haven't been properly explained i don't think - they're certainly not contradictory, though, i can see how they would interrelate. i'd certainly expect you to show both of them, turquoise being very panentheist in spiritual terms, but at the same time you are someone with a particularly strong set of logical capabilities.

However, it is worth pointing out that the questions were focused solely on a work environment, and I'm not sure how you can dissociate many everyday work places from material concerns.
well, that's the point, isn't it - these things are operating on some level, but how strongly and how consciously is the question.

Yet the test wanted to measure materialism without realising the inherent bias this might introduce.
it's not mere materialism, though, the materialism tends to be a symptom, not a cause, so would an overt focus which gave huge importance to rationality and the critical faculties, which you have in spades - that is more likely to be the orange that's showing up than a gold-plated bathtub.

Then again, I'm an arrogant sod as well.
that's a very "orange" way to be! you see?

b'shalom

bananabrain

Apologies for the rant, bb - I think I sometimes take intelligent tests far too seriously - usually by deconstructing them in a rather antagonistic and knee-jerk manner. :)

which is, again, a very "orange" way to think and feel in a "stressful" situation (not real stress, but you know what i mean) - except this isn't an intelligence test. and anyway, nobody can actually define intelligence except as "whatever it is that intelligence tests measure". this is a diagnostic of your, as it were, deep values, modes of interaction and life objectives; the question is how well your personality is integrated and this test won't tell you, but it will tell you something about what is important to you in terms of the development of your personality.

b'shalom

bananabrain

did the value system one [very quickly], top green 82%, followed by turquoise and yellow, then beige,purple, blue [high 30's], orange, least at 14 red. whether theory [or self evaluation] and practice coincide is another matter!

I put in NA for most of the responses on the registration and they did not send me login info. :D. I guess I will have to give them my real name, Mickey Mouse :D!!

Then when I tried to put in my "real name" it told me it already had my e-mail address !! So now I need an "alias" e-mail address :D. These guys are making me work hard ! :D And that did not work either, these folks do not like me (they know I am a trouble maker :D, does that make me a turquoise ? ).

Back