jewish restaurants?

vinny

Reaction score
is there such a thing? im not the biggest restaurant guy mostly because im broke but are there restaurants who specialize in jewish food?

Interesting question...

I know some delis that advertise kosher foods....

But kosher kitchens? I wonder...

The most interesting I ran into was a veggie place...they specifically indicated the veggie burger was kosher...and that putting soy cheese on a veggie burger was not Kosher as it implied meat and milk together even if neither the meat or the milk were present you were intimating meat and milk by creating veggie burger and veggie cheese.... Like when my mom hit me upside my head for saying gee whiz....because she said it was what people would say instead of using the lord's name in vain...and that ain't kosher...

hmmm... are circle K stores kosher?

wil, the best resource I've found for researching whether or not something was kosher or not (foods, stores, restaurants, etc.) is Kashrut.Com - The Premier Kosher Information Source on the Internet

They even advertise kosher foods/treats and where to find them (they are currently touting an ice cream treat, Cool Dogs, which are hot dog shaped ice cream treats in sponge cake "buns" and chocolate drizzle. The consumer can add whatever else they want, like everything s/he likes on an ice cream sundae.) If you're ever at Fenway Park, I think they are sold there. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

is there such a thing? im not the biggest restaurant guy mostly because im broke but are there restaurants who specialize in jewish food?

vinny, there's no such thing as "Jewish food", it's all borrowed from the different regions one would find Jewish populations.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Wil,

I used to work cashier at a Circle-K. We certainly did not carry kosher food. (But the bean-and-cheese burritos were pretty good!)

hmmm... are circle K stores kosher?
humorous!

and that putting soy cheese on a veggie burger was not Kosher as it implied meat and milk together even if neither the meat or the milk were present you were intimating meat and milk by creating veggie burger and veggie cheese.
sounds a little much.

i live in new england, and i thought there were traditional jewish foods but ok now ive learned something else ;)

humorous!

sounds a little much.
I don't know if it is a bit much. If you are orthodox, it is the intent of the law that appears to be the goal to adhere to. In my experience, (I'm not jewish and don't play a jew on tv, but have friends from orthodox to renewal) some folks aren't interested in arguing technicalities to justify not doing something, they argue technicalities to justify following the intent...gotta honor that. Or rather I do...you don't.

i live in new england, and i thought there were traditional jewish foods but ok now ive learned something else ;)
On holidays there are some traditional foods, and even in meals there are...but as for Jewish eateries...other than delies...I haven't seen it. I have been at Orthodox retreat centers that are kosher and fed us kosher foods...but like Phyllis said...they were a variety of foods from various nationalities, just prepared and served kosher.

vinny, there's no such thing as "Jewish food", it's all borrowed from the different regions one would find Jewish populations.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Dearest Phyllis, where would Gefilte fish come from I wonder? Latkes I understand to be Polish. Where is Matzo from?

Just curious...that's about all of the "Jewish" foods I can think of outside of roast lamb, boiled eggs and horseradish...

Back