Jewish resources to non-Jews learn more about Judaism

islamicway

Reaction score
Assalmu alaikum, I've started a blog about Islam and have put up some resources on Judaism to help Muslims learn more about Judaism. I would like to add more, and wondered whether anyone on here could link to some online resources for non-Jews (the site can be aimed at Jews primarily as well) to learn about Judaism and Jewish practice, faith and culture.

I think its really important for people to understand other people's faith, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Apparently I'm not allowed to link to the blog post until I have 10 or more posts, so I'll link later when I can.

Shalom, Salam!

Some useful articles, thanks for sharing. I will try to find the time to keep posting!

I think its really important for people to understand other people's faith, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Namaste and Alekum Asalem,

Admirable goal, you are to be commended, I thank you in advance for being open and non biased on the subject, allowing everyone room for more understanding.

Namaste and Alekum Asalem,

Admirable goal, you are to be commended, I thank you in advance for being open and non biased on the subject, allowing everyone room for more understanding.

That's very kind of you to say. Thank you. I take it your from an Abrahamic faith? I still need to get my post count up, but once I do so I'll link to the post, as it is already up on my blog. And Ihope to be adding more. I've also got some comparisons of Jewish and Muslim dietary laws up there as well.

The link to my blog is on my profile, so you can check it there if you like.

How interesting... someone has left a comment as anonymous on my blog to the post about interfaith issues. (I get the impression its probably from this forum...) They think Muslims will lie to Jews and Christians, even though there are plenty of interfaith marriages and groups.

I'm sorry they feel this way, I know there are Muslims who are strongly anti-Israeli and this sometimes becomes anti-Jewish but the failings of some Muslims shouldn't change the fact that Muslims like me genuinely do enjoy learning about Judaism and other religions

EDIT: I meant to add that they also believe Islam with perish because it doesn't follow the teaching of Jesus according to them. Interesting, because according to their view neither would Judaism, but Judaism must be more acceptable because ... ?

hi islamicway,

i think you might consider that we here at interfaith.org would love to engage in dialogue, but cannot be responsible for what goes on elsewhere. with that in mind, if you want to dialogue with us, please join in. if this is merely about directing traffic to your blog, i suggest you re-read the code of conduct. with all that said, it sounds like you have an interesting perspective and one we'd like to hear more about; what is it you think non-jews need to learn about judaism and why should they go to an islamic blog to find out?

i am also rather perturbed to see that on your "editor's pick" of the six that you select, one is neturei karta, of all people! that is rather like picking the bognor regist tourist board as a representative of english culture! neturei karta are NOT to be held up as representative of anything but their own twisted little mindset; they are mostly held in varying degrees of contempt and disgust even by other ultra-orthodox sects. if you are wanting muslims to learn about judaism, then you should avoid these people like the plague - all they do is play to islamic prejudices against zionism and the state of israel, for their own reasons (which, i might add, they don't share with muslims) and present themselves as somehow representative, which they're not.

for more on them, i suggest you read my own article on my regular blog:

http://www.spittoon.org/archives/2380

b'shalom

bananabrain

Last edited:
My primary purpose was not to drive traffic to my blog, I put the link up but I'll remove it if its not helpful and just put a link to my blog in my signature for future reference. (I have seen others on forums do this, I hope it doesn't break any rule). Well, my blog is for Non-Jews primarily Muslims who might not know about the way Judaism views Islam, such as Maimonides views, or the practices that have similarities and differences with Islam, everyone quotes Kosher and Halal, Abraham etc but there are subtle differences. I do like knowing similarities, but when there are differences its worth noting and they aren't reasons for divides. And I would think just for the benefit that comes from knowing about other cultures, religions etc. For some reason Judaism has piqued my interest recently, but maybe another will soon. So when I meant non-Jews I guess I meant Muslims for the most part. (sorry about that). Having said that I have Christian and other faiths visiting my blog.

Ok, thanks for the advice, its appears I cannot delete my post.

Hmm, you're right I think maybe I should not include any political issues in interfaith issues, although that was one of my earlier posts when I wasn't sure which direction I was going in. I guess I was trying to point out that not all Jews are Zionists, but maybe that didn't come across. Why are they held in digust, I know they're disliked by quite a few Jews but why disgust?

The url says 'editors pick' but its actually resources for study of Judaism (or something like that), I changed it later.

the political stuff is best moved onto when you have already built some form of social capital - i.e. people can talk to each other about difficult issues without getting angry. unfortunately israel/palestine is one such subject for understandable reasons.

I guess I was trying to point out that not all Jews are Zionists, but maybe that didn't come across. Why are they held in digust, I know they're disliked by quite a few Jews but why disgust?
when you say "they", i presume you mean NK? well, it's because they constantly stand with people who call for the death of jews - not that that worries them, because they think that they're the only proper jews. they go to conferences on holocaust denial held by the jew-hating, murderous government of iran and will take just about any other platform as long as it offers an opportunity to attack israel; they are engaging in the worst sort of intellectual dishonesty and theological lunacy and the worst thing is that because they dress like they do people assume they are somehow "genuine" or "authentic" - nothing could be further from the truth.

b'shalom

bananabrain

How interesting... someone has left a comment as anonymous on my blog to the post about interfaith issues. (I get the impression its probably from this forum...) They think Muslims will lie to Jews and Christians, even though there are plenty of interfaith marriages and groups.

Old time members here aren't in the business of putting "malicious" posts on a blog someone "advertises" here. We're too comfortable here for that kind of thing.:) Why would we go to a blog, which is external to this site and say we think you're ........ a demon .......... or some other "bad thing" when we could just get into a fight here about it?

Fellow members would feel insulted that they used an external site for the fight. Insulting or slandering outsiders or newbies on an external site isn't our way. The way to pick a fight here is to do it here, not somewhere else.

...... I'm not trying to be rude there ........ just making a point. Whether it's seen as provocative or humorous, I don't know.

I understand you're new.........

How about I tell you my story? When I learned about this site, it was from reading debates between Christians and Muslims. Obviously I found the Muslim side revolting and always wanted the Christian side to win.

But I always found myself unsatisfied. I felt that the Christian side never seemed to put up strong enough arguments. It always seemed to fall short because the methods it employed were always too attached to a particular way of thinking. They didn't try to understand the Muslim side and try to argue from their side. I always felt like the Christians were missing the point.

The Muslims didn't really try to understand Christianity and the Christians didn't really try to understand Islam. If I had had my way, I would have said that the case for Christianity was that it was a response to legalism. Islam was based on laws, and if people based their lives around laws, that would make a religion legalistic. Being legalistic wasn't good and that was the case for Christianity. If only the Muslims understood, and if only the Christians thought of saying that........:rolleyes:

That was that I wanted to say.......

Finally, I came across a Muslim site that really provoked me and I wanted to tell the guy that he was missing the point. I emailed him, but didn't get an answer.

I noticed that his site linked to www.comparative-religion.com. That used to be the address of this message board. It moved to www.interfaith.org not so long ago.

I've been posting here since 2005. I left the other Muslim-Christian debates behind and got involved in the ones here.

The people who run this message board don't want members to be drawn to a blog, but you could link from your blog to this forum. They just don't want things flowing in the other direction.

Make yourself at home.

Oh BTW, we used to have Christian-Muslim debates but we don't have them anymore for some reason. All the people who got involved in them left for some reason. Nowadays there aren't many Muslim posters, so you're an asset here.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your story. I like the idea of linking to some threads on here, I've seen a couple of really interesting articles linked, so I may do that... I'll see how things go.

I'm not sure how long I can stick around on this forum, I may be able to provide a few posts here and there, there's another interfaith forum I go to, and youtube sometimes has decent discussions (surprisingly), busy with the blog, setting up another...

I sometimes find forums can get hostile, which is fine if you want a really heated debate, but I'm not sure thats what I go for...

I thought I might share something I discovered a few weeks back that I found interesting. It is a video talking about talmudic debate. Considering what I have learnt about Judaism in the first century as well as my own personal journey in thinking about the purpose of Christianity, I found it quite interesting.

Interpreting Talmudic Debate - How the Sages Derived Torah Law - Chabad at Oxford

Christianity, for example, isn't driven by debate. Some would argue that it was right that one's relationship with God should not be intellectual. But that could also be a weakness.

I think because Judaism was based on debate, through continual refinement of the Jewish thought system the rabbis sought to make Judaism a rational tradition. I think this is also where we may have misunderstood the Pharisees from which Rabbinic and Talmudic Judaism is descended.

Why do I say that? It is because I am disappointed at the way Christianity works. There is a strong anti-intellectual culture among Christians. Christians by habit do not seek the most rational ideology. That is because they believe that "salvation" should not be based on something intellectual, because not everyone is smart enough to rationalise or justify their relationship with God on deep and esoteric thinking.

I would agree that God should not require someone to leap over such a difficult hurdle.

But to "dumb down" theology and to tell people "not to think deeply" about their tradition is to encourage the development of a community and culture that lacks discipline, sophistication and thoughtfulness. This is the reason why Christianity has split up into so many denominations. It is why there are so many schisms and divisions in Christianity.

Because of anti-intellectualism, Christians are an undisciplined and unsophisticated group that often cannot agree. The reason why they can't agree is because Christianity has been "dumbed down" and many of its adherents actually believe that "dumbing down" is actually a good thing!!!

Everybody is a product of their environment and in a "dumbed down" culture, people don't look any further or beyond what they already know. They think they already know what they need to know, but this arrogance of thinking one has sufficient knowledge leads to conflict with others and sometimes this conflict is with other Christians. Insufficient and incomplete knowledge is what leads to divisions in Christianity. Resistance and discouragement of further acquisition of knowledge keeps Christians from rising above this level of communal cohesion.

But I have decided this isn't truly a weakness or flaw in Christianity. That was what its founders intended. That's because Christianity was never supposed to be an independent religion. Christianity was "dumbed down" so that it could grow quickly and reach more of the world's population in a short time. Christianity was never supposed to be a "rational tradition" that had to make sense to everyone. It was about extending God's mercy to as many people as possible.

Jesus reached out to the common people, to the uneducated underclass. He created a new group. There were at least four main groups in Judaism at the time: the Pharisees, Sadduccees, Essenes and Zealots. The Pharisees and Jesus' followers survived the destruction of the Second Temple. The others did not.

The Pharisees went on to establish Rabbinic/Talmudic Judaism. Jesus' followers, which I call "Nazarenes" went on to establish Christianity. This is where I would like to highlight what I consider the distinctive characteristic between the Pharisees and the Nazarenes. Most people think of the Pharisees as legalistic, dogmatic, arrogant and self-righteous, but I have learned that not all groups of Pharisees were like that. The Pharisees could be quite rational, thoughtful and humble. The Pharisees, basically, were the students and experts of the Torah. They were the intellectuals of Judaism, just like the imams and theologians of Islam and Christianity today are "experts" on Islam/Christianity.

The Nazarenes were not experts on the Torah. Jesus' followers were not Pharisees. He didn't want them to be Pharisees and by that I mean he didn't want them to be intellectuals. The distinction between Judaism and Christianity therefore is the difference between the "learned" and "unlearned." The Jews today are "spiritual descendants" of the Pharisees (intellectuals) and the Christians today are "spiritual descendants" of the Nazarenes (simple-minded). I think this is the dominant trait that runs in the two "families.":)

I believe there is a place for both the intellectual and simple-minded within a religious community. What happened in the first-century could be thought of as a "split" between the intellectual and simple-minded segments of Judaism. The intellectual half survived to become the "fully intellectual" Judaism of today. The other half branched away into the Gentile world to become the "fully dumbed down" Christianity today. Deep thought is encouraged in Judaism but discouraged in Christianity. This helped Judaism retain its identity but helped Christianity to grow.

Salvation should not have high hurdles, however .........

A good community needs "wise leaders." Because Judaism was driven by careful study of the Torah and was an intellectually-driven tradition, not only would their leaders (rabbis) be rational and sophisticated people, but so would the common Jew.

Christianity being a "dumbed down" tradition has often been a huge undisciplined monster. Maybe we would benefit from the leadership of so-called "modern-day Pharisees" (Jews).

Christianity is unlikely to ever be unified, at least not independently. God's people should be unified, but it is unlikely that the leaders of Christianity will ever create such unity. An undisciplined mob is more likely to bicker and quarrel. Maybe these modern-day Pharisees (also God's people) can help us.

From what I have heard some say, maybe that's our destiny!!!:)

Just my thoughts. I thought I might put that out there. I've been itching to share it.:eek:

I'm not sure how long I can stick around on this forum, I may be able to provide a few posts here and there, there's another interfaith forum I go to, and youtube sometimes has decent discussions (surprisingly), busy with the blog, setting up another...

I think the people who run the forums would hope that everyone who signs up did it for the long-term rather than putting up ejaculatory posts.:eek: ........ and then disappearing.

I sometimes find forums can get hostile, which is fine if you want a really heated debate, but I'm not sure thats what I go for...

I don't think heated debates are always bad, as long as we learn something from it.

After two hours of writing that last post and wondering if I should post it in the Judaism forum, at the risk of having an argument with bananabrain, I decided to post it anyway. It's more of an experiment to see what the response might be. Maybe he'll get angry or maybe he'll be kind. Sometimes the response is BOOM!!!!! Other times it's like a quiet river.

I think the people who run the forums would hope that everyone who signs up did it for the long-term rather than putting up ejaculatory posts.:eek: ........ and then disappearing.

I don't think heated debates are always bad, as long as we learn something from it.

After two hours of writing that last post and wondering if I should post it in the Judaism forum, at the risk of having an argument with bananabrain, I decided to post it anyway. It's more of an experiment to see what the response might be. Maybe he'll get angry or maybe he'll be kind. Sometimes the response is BOOM!!!!! Other times it's like a quiet river.

I don't have time right now to read your other post. It looks interesing...

Maybe I didn't explain, I don't have time. Notwithstanding other commitments, I have people who follow my blog and kindly request certain information to put up. I appreciate your linking to a source that I used on the blog, and I said thank you on the blog post.

If it is wrong for me to join a forum with the intention to post not very frequently, then I have to say this forum differs quite a lot from other forums. I like other forums for precisely that reason. They have regulars, not so regulars, once a monthers, once a yearers, and they are all welcome. No-one is treated as a deserter, people know that the others may have time commitments, and things may come up in their life which means they no longer have time to respond.

I'm not sure what I said that was 'ejaculatory'. I would delete my post about comments from the blog, but I can't, I may have to contact an administrator, but I have no idea who is an administrator on here. I'll look into it.

I have gotten into a few heated debates in the past, I really do not have any time to get drawn into any. This is all a matter of personal choice, I respect your choice, I would expect you to respect mine.

If it is wrong for me to join a forum with the intention to post not very frequently, then I have to say this forum differs quite a lot from other forums. I like other forums for precisely that reason. They have regulars, not so regulars, once a monthers, once a yearers, and they are all welcome. No-one is treated as a deserter, people know that the others may have time commitments, and things may come up in their life which means they no longer have time to respond.

Nahhhhhh........ I was just saying that so you'd spend more time here. There really is no rule. There's just a shortage of Muslims here.

I try to limit my time here as well, but sometimes I just can't help being involved. You might become addicted yourself if you spend more time here.

Back