France bans face-covering Islamic veil

Nick the Pilot

Reaction score
France bans face-covering Islamic veil - Yahoo! News

PARIS – France's new ban on Islamic face veils was met with a burst of defiance Monday, as several women appeared veiled in front of Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral and two were detained for taking part in an unauthorized protest.

France on Monday became the world's first country to ban the veils anywhere in public, from outdoor marketplaces to the sidewalks and boutiques of the Champs-Elysees.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy set the wheels in motion for the ban nearly two years ago, saying the veils imprison women and contradict this secular nation's values of dignity and equality. The ban enjoyed wide public support when it was approved by parliament last year.

Though only a very small minority of France's at least 5 million Muslims wear the veil, many Muslims see the ban as a stigma against the country's No. 2 religion.

(cont.)

I know in my heart I shouldn't want this ban to happen, but... I'm glad of it. I hope they ban full face coverings here in the UK, too.
For simple safety reasons it makes sense, but an altogether ban, I don't know.

If a bar, airport, bank or eatery etc. decided no viels I don't see an issue.

If during a police stop for vehicles or identification required removal...makes sense to me.

for reasons discussed exhaustively here (do an advanced search on "niqab") i dislike the full face-veil and do not think it should be permitted in any environment where wearing a motorcycle helmet or balaclava would be considered a) a security risk b) an impediment to communication c) rude or d) creepy. if niqabis must wear it, they can do it at home or when they're at the mosque. i will confine myself to saying that in typical french style, the law is clearly going to be applied selectively, whilst being drafted in such a way as to appear to penalise christians whilst not actually doing so ("visible cross wearers", anyone?) and penalising jews for the sake of "fairness" and, presumably inclusivity. i should add my usual caveat that i have no problem whatsoever with the hijab, jilbab, chador or any other islamic clothing that leaves the face visible.

b'shalom

bananabrain

I think its the same old issue though: people are always deciding or commenting on how women should dress, rather than leaving the choice more open to them. Its like the stay at home and look after the children or go to work, neither is right nor wrong.

Personally, I do not feel a face veil is necessary and the Quran does not call for it. However, I also believe in personal freedoms, but I can see the limitations in everyday life, I don't think a complete ban is necessarily the way to go.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_france_veil_banFrench President Nicolas Sarkozy set the wheels in motion for the ban nearly two years ago, saying the veils imprison women and contradict this secular nation's values of dignity and equality.

What a shame the French didn't bother to ask the women if they felt imprisoned or if it affected their dignity or equality. Great to see they decided to simply dictate dress code in a democratic country, based on a load of bigoted BS.

Was delighted to see a rich French man has offered to pay any fines for women wearing niqab in public. :D

do not think it should be permitted in any environment where wearing a motorcycle helmet would be considered a) a security risk b) an impediment to communication c) rude or d) creepy.

I don't think motorcycle helmets should be banned and I'm not talking about just when you're riding a motorcycle. You never know, a brick might fall out of the sky.

i should add my usual caveat that i have no problem whatsoever with the hijab, jilbab, chador or any other islamic clothing that leaves the face visible.

What if they're ugly, like Medusa?:eek: We can't all go around carrying mirrors and I'm afraid I might be turned to stone. There are times when we need hands free to carry umbrellas and mobile phones.

I'm curious, is there any other item from a religious-cultural group that people would like to see banned?

I'm curious, is there any other item from a religious-cultural group that people would like to see banned?
The opposition is not to it being a religious item. Of course you knew that.

The issue is that the face is covered and identification is made difficult.

Perhaps these pictures help illustrate the problem....and the association of what a face covering is often used for....no religous connotations....

The opposition is not to it being a religious item. Of course you knew that.

The issue is that the face is covered and identification is made difficult.

Perhaps these pictures help illustrate the problem....and the association of what a face covering is often used for....no religous connotations....

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that you were deliberately choosing Islam, but it stems from the fact that France is a very secular nation and its reason for doing what it does stem from its secular stance. Which is admirable in some ways, but in other ways I disagree with it in practice.

I understand the limitations, I mentioned this earlier point, (I think) But I was reading some of the others saying they hope there is a full ban and wondering if there were reasons beyond the practical for this. I can understand there might not be, but similarly, there might if you get what I mean. (not the most eloquent way to put it)

People are offended by Christianity and want it out of schools and have replaced traditional Christmas festivities with other things. Even Santa Claus has to go away even though he isn't even fundamental to Christianity.:eek: People stop setting up Christmas trees and singing "Oh Come Ye Faithful."

While they haven't banned Christianity, they are disgusted with it. There is social pressure to revolt against Christian culture.

People were making fun of Jesus long before Mohammed.

People are offended by Christianity and want it out of schools and have replaced traditional Christmas festivities with other things. Even Santa Claus has to go away even though he isn't even fundamental to Christianity.:eek: People stop setting up Christmas trees and singing "Oh Come Ye Faithful."

While they haven't banned Christianity, they are disgusted with it. There is social pressure to revolt against Christian culture.

That's true, Jesus has quite a fair amount of humour directed at him. I can't say it sits well with me. I know of some schools keeping the tradition of the nativity even in very multicultural schools. But it has been replaced in some places, which could give the perception of an unwanted religious practice.

Muslimwoman said:
Great to see they decided to simply dictate dress code in a democratic country, based on a load of bigoted BS.
you are still missing the point on this. they are not dictating dress code - they are banning FACE COVERING, not modest or islamic dress. i don't like the way the french do things, but you have to understand that their state religion is "laicité" - which is not exactly secularism. "laicité" is constitutional and therefore democratic within the french system. it tolerates no challenges from other religions, hence the generally conciliatory attitude of most of the religions in france. basically, it is clear who's boss - they are trying to penalise "uppityness", not islam. it just so happens that it's the uppityness of 2,000 islamist women in this case. i would go so far to say that the attitude of the french state is "cultural". in the uk we do not define "what is british" by statute - the french do. they have a "roman law" system - which basically differs from the british "common law" system (which is how both shari'a and halakhah operate, incidentally) which says:

IF THE LAW DON'T SAY IT'S OK, IT'S FORBIDDEN.

common law says:

IF THE LAW DON'T SPECIFICALLY FORBID IT, IT'S OK.

to go against this is basically going against the entire french constitutional system, which you might not like, but is fairer than, say, that of some other countries i might mention.

Saltmeister said:
People are offended by Christianity and want it out of schools and have replaced traditional Christmas festivities with other things.
people are always saying this, but it always comes down to some idiot in a local council worrying that someone's going to take offence and pre-emptively cringing. when it is investigated, the local non-christians always, always, ALWAYS say "what? what are you on about? we've got no issue with it!" - this is NOT, however, the case with face covering, which a lot of people, both religious and non-religious, ARE offended by and can say why clearly and distinctly, in terms which do *not* require the backing of "personal choice". this issue is NOT about "personal choice", but about the social norms of a liberal democracy, which both france and the UK are, for all that they go about things very differently. in a liberal democracy, you cannot wander down the street naked and you cannot hide your face when engaging in any kind of official interaction. many people dislike this, but it is an inescapable conclusion. some french officials are, privately, saying that they don't quite know what they're going to do with rich saudi lady tourists going shopping at upmarket clothes shops - but i say if they let these people off, they are nothing but hypocrites. either there's a principle at stake, or there ain't - and this is, as many people fear, simply a way to bash muslims, which i do NOT approve of.

and until we can make fun of muhammad, islam will not have really grown up as a civilisation, in my opinion.

it is a sad day, but i am of the opinion that if that other non-negotiable of liberal democracy, free speech is to be preserved in any meaningfulness, Qur'an-burning will have to join holocaust denial as an act of permitted ideological protest, although society will, i hope, continue to draw the appropriate conclusions about the sort of people who would engage in either activity. i wouldn't associate with such people and i would criticise and condemn these practices in the strongest manner possible, but i could not in conscience outlaw them, any more than i feel people are entitled to rescind what i consider to be an implicit responsibility to show their faces when interacting with others.

b'shalom

bananabrain

My kids just turned 18....when they were in elementary school I was frankly surprised that there was a Christmas Pageant. That they sang Holy Night, Jingle Bells, Drummer Boy...

With what you read in the paper and on the net all this was banned, verboten and non-existent. We had a good time, a nativity scene and santa claus in a public school. My kids did also learn about Kwanzaa, Hanakuh, and Ramadan, and of course I had no issues with that.

they have a "roman law" system - which basically differs from the british "common law" system (which is how both shari'a and halakhah operate, incidentally) which says:

IF THE LAW DON'T SAY IT'S OK, IT'S FORBIDDEN.

common law says:

IF THE LAW DON'T SPECIFICALLY FORBID IT, IT'S OK.

Hmmm...interesting!

s.

its menacing, sinister and a threat to our security.

A threat to our security in what sense?

What is menacing and sinister about it?

you are still missing the point on this. they are not dictating dress code - they are banning FACE COVERING, not modest or islamic dress.

Only a moron would believe this ban is about face coverings and I know you're not a moron. Martians on Mars know the wording of this law was to ensure it could pass through. This law is targetted at one group in society and one group only. A group of under 2,000 women.

This is clearly demonstrated by the 30,000 Euro fine and a year in prison for husbands/fathers/brothers forcing a woman to wear a face covering.

Sarkozy said “the burqa is not welcome in France”, he did not say face covering is not welcome in France.

In February this year Sarkozy announced a debate on "the place of Islam in France".

i don't like the way the french do things, but you have to understand that their state religion is "laicité"

Indeed they are staunchly against any public displays of religion .. so where is the ban on hijab, kippah, sikh turban, wearing a crucifix in public places? ... ah yes of course that ban was on schoolchildren, although it was decided crucifixes and stars of David were "discrete" ensuring it was only Muslim girls affected by the ban.

Laicite is based upon religion not interfering with the state and the state not interfering with religion and yet look up any quote by Sarkozy on this ban and you will see the words burqa and Islam, not face covering.

I find it utterly incredible that on other threads at the moment everyone is talking about how Arab countries are moving toward democracy and must become secular and then on this thread are arguing that Europe should do the opposite. Make your mind up people.

Back