How can I develop my spiritual experiences?

AliceKBlack

Reaction score
Hi!
Throughout my life I've occasionally had spiritual experiences of other realms/meeting out-of-body beings, but no way to get these regularly.

I want to have these experiences more often--I really enjoy them--but I don't know how. Does anyone know (and please tell me stuff you've tried, not just stuff you've heard about!) how to access these sorts of experiences more frequently?

Thank you!

Namaste and Welcome Alice,

Interesting, while I've had moments and wouldn't mind having more....

I get most my spiritual bliss from experiences of nature and relationships and reading texts and contemplating the here and now...

Hi Alice,
This is something I've been working on myself over the past years. I got some really good, comprehensive advice from a friend of mine that has helped me a lot. (*digs through old e-mail archives*)
Here it is (sorry for the length!):

"There are many ways of increasing the clarity when exploring other levels of existence, but they vary depending on the individual. Ultimately, the best way is simply to be happy and fulfilled. Anything more specific is where the variance comes in.

The best time is generally whenever you’re the most calm and settled. Your physical position should be whatever feels natural, but I might suggest cross-legged or half or full lotus (if you can) with your spine straight up, index-finger-to-thumb mudras, and your tongue curled back. I recommend being well-rested and not attempting such exploration with food in your stomach (i.e. within approximately thirty minutes of eating), stimulants in your physiology (sugar, caffeine, etc.), or any pressing issue on your mind (general thoughts and worries are okay if unavoidable, but not any imminent expectation or concern). Also, don’t try it when anything is physically internally distracting you (thirst, hunger, pain, full bladder and/or large intestine, etc.).

The healthier your physiology is, the easier it should be. Pure, healthy food and other influences should help, as should anything that balances your body. You can try exploring other levels of existence immediately after exercising. Regular meditation should help too; you might attempt exploration right after coming out of a transcendental state. Doing meditation after or before asanas (Yoga) and pranayama (breathing exercises) should also help. If you ever have a lucid dream, you can try exploring other levels of existence within the dream. There are ways of inducing lucid dreams if you don’t naturally have them. Apart from that, it’s more or less just a matter of concentration and practice."

Hopefully that helps--it was pretty specific, and I have to admit I didn't even follow all that advice, but I did notice that even putting more attention on trying to cultivate the experiences really has made a difference.

(Oh, and if you want an answer more tailored to your own experiences/life/routine/whatnot, the guy I got that from actually has a website: Window to the Divine, and he'll answer any question you e-mail him.)

Also, I'd like to say that I really agree with the point Wil touches upon:
I get most my spiritual bliss from experiences of nature and relationships and reading texts and contemplating the here and now...

IMO, spiritual Bliss is really the goal of any practice, so while experiences of "out of body beings," etc. can be really nice, I've found that they aren't necessarily necessary (lol) to grow in true joy :)

Greetings and welcome, AliceKBlack
Q. How can I develop my spiritual experiences?
A. Simple, Do more spiritual exercises!

Using the trilogy of mind, body and spirit one may note that there are many works concerning physical exercise and intellectual exercises, but few (de-cripted) works available concerning spiritual exercise. Yet the basic principals of the former two are applicable to the latter.

The initial goal is to reduce the physical interaction to the point that it does not interfere with with the spiritual exercise, with the same being said for the activity level of the intellect. One may also meditate while engaging in mindless routine tasks such as walking a known safe route, washing dishes, etc.

the place to meditate is similar, select one that has little to no distractions to the scenes and intellect. Sounds and smells may trigger powerful memories, memories that may engage the intellect or mind which, detracts or distracts from the intended purpose - spiritual exercise.

Hi!
Throughout my life I've occasionally had spiritual experiences of other realms/meeting out-of-body beings, but no way to get these regularly.

I want to have these experiences more often--I really enjoy them--but I don't know how. Does anyone know (and please tell me stuff you've tried, not just stuff you've heard about!) how to access these sorts of experiences more frequently?

Thank you!
Caution:
To seek the above experiences, as an intended goal in one's spiritual development, may be seen as similar to the partaking of psycho active substances merely for the "high."

Those experiences, which you have expressed a desire to achieve, are but way points, and may prove to be but distractions, on the path to the whole of one's spiritual development.

The best time is generally whenever you’re the most calm and settled.

Advancing on the above statement is to position oneself to be calm and relaxed more often by:
Ultimately, the best way is simply to be happy and fulfilled.
...and, by simplification:
"The Way to do is to be" - Bynner.
but I did notice that even putting more attention on trying to cultivate the experiences really has made a difference.

This is an excellent first, and on going, step!:)

hi alice,

well... yes.. but it would depend upon the particular paradigm with which you are most familiar. if you are well versed in Taoist spiritual alchemy then i'd recommend some of the Secret of the Golden Flower methods and such, if you are steeped in the Western traditions then i would suggest what the Buddhists refer to as "stilling the discursive intellect" as it is able to use whatever symbol set you are most comfortable with.

Back