What is the essence of all religions?

Discussion in 'Belief and Spirituality' started by ResistETIntervention, Mar 14, 2012.

1. NiceCupOfTea

NiceCupOfTea Pathetic earthlings

i see what you mean, although please dont quote nutlik
    to me again

so sticking with the analogy of toilet habits self control would be normal bowel movements not diarrhea or constipation.

2. seattlegal

seattlegal Why do cows say mu?

lol, ok. ;)

It's "knowing when to grasp, and when to release" --wei wu wei. The degree that an individual can accomplish this will vary according to the individual's development, abilities, and the actual condition at hand. :eek:

3. seattlegal

seattlegal Why do cows say mu?

Small correction: these would be oppressive acts, not repressive acts. :eek:

4. luecy7

luecy7 New Member

Perhaps it is a start to recognize that one is working as a member, employing their heart, mind, and soul, to do harm (or not good), upon others. That would require doing some things.

5. radarmark

radarmark Quaker-in-the-Making

You speak for only yourself. If the goal is to go beyond (this means the same as my term G!d). You create the duality, you create the conflict because you cannot appreciate any other view but your own. This entire paragraph is about how you fell, not I. I use the terms a lttle differently and do not make the obvious mistake of falling for the fallacy of misplaced concreteness (mistaking the abstract for the actual).

Duh! When one returns from being beyond and tries to communicate with others one must remember that your experience is not another's. This is precisely what the Pali canon says and is repeated by Hui-neng and Marpa.

This is not pertinent, and has nothing to do with the innate goodness and love proposed in the Golden Rule (which exists even in Confucianism, Daoism and oh, Buddhism ("Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful" Udanavarga 5:18). Stick to the topic. If you reject the Golden Rule, then you directly reject the Buddha. One cannot have it both ways.

Irrelevant and I agree

Again, irrelevant and I agree. The topic is the Golden Rule (see above).

You say so much about your problems, I cannot help but reply. Not everyone sees G!d the way you do. So what? It does not make everyone wrong. As shown above you are even being inconsistent to Buddhism.

6. luecy7

luecy7 New Member

Are you taking responsibility for your words now? Fabrication does have pitfalls.

An ankle biter had degraded my health.

Do the trees deny responsibility for their actions, as you have?

You are sharing a new word, and I believe you have the best word to focus on: Repressed.

What do you think repressed the most? Did I repress you, or did I repress my self? Was I repressed by the golden rule, or by you?

In my view, I think you have shared the word that best describes what I have seen of you. Meditation: qwell the mind to a near death experience. History: forget about it. Relationships: Why? Education: For what? Serving others: Theft of your freedom. Manners: Rules suck. A history that you would prefer to forget: Check. Taking responsibility for your actions: Of course not. Mobility: Self limited. Accusing others of hampering your mobility: Absolutely. Income: Two parents working full time. Job: Where is the freedom in that?

7. bhaktajan

bhaktajan Active Member

luecy 7's Compassionate tough love.
    Human bio-feedback data into the bargain.

I'm pretty sure that's legitimately called 'Psycho-analysis'.

8. Lunitik

Lunitik Interfaith Forums

What have I fabricated?

Explains why you were puffing and panting...

What actions have I denied responsibility for?

I have not repressed myself at all, and why you have been repressed is of no consequence, the effects of your repression are plain and clear in everything about you. It is exactly this which I have been trying to point at since I got home, you are not a natural person, you are not really alive.

Then you do not even know what meditation is, you have not seen me outside the meditative state.

I do not forget history, it simply is no longer relevant at all.

Again, you misunderstand me, I do not cling to relationships, but I enjoy them while they are there.

When have I said this? I have said acquiring knowledge isn't going to help finding truth, but this only shows you don't know what education means. Education is not about cramming nonsense in yourself, the word means 'to draw out' and this is exactly what I go on doing.

Again, you show your lack of comprehension. I have not said serving others is a lack of freedom, I have said it is meaningless to serve people out of obligation or to gain something for yourself. I go on helping people simply because there is the chance to help - for instance I helped an old lady bringing a table into her home while simply coming back from the store. It has to be a natural arising, not an endeavor.

Have I been rude in your house? I say rules are not necessary because these things should arise naturally.

A lack of dealing with your cheating on your wife: obvious.

Still with her because you lack any spine: yup, despite how unhappy you both are.

I was in another city on your request...

Did you not? We didn't leave the house other than to go to your job...

Certainly, they have been a blessing.

Do you have any freedom? You barely know your own children. I would rather starve to death doing something I love than waste my life doing what you do. You think it is respectable, but you have no life at all, you do nothing for fun. You really think you are an example for how to live life? You don't live, you just survive, and it is because of your utter lack of love.

9. Lunitik

The child has not learned self-control, it has learned awareness and the ability to respond effectively. The child does not deficate less as he grows older, and holding it is actually very unhealthy, but the adult is able to find an appropriate exhaust point...

You show your lack of understanding of wei wu wei here, it is active inaction... it means to allow everything to arise without trying for anything in particular. It is like breathing, it goes on happening and yet you are not doing it... as you go deeper into enlightenment you experience divine animation, eventually this becomes total. This is wei wu wei.

Because I am addressing that society.

It would seem that way to you, but where is the need to think? It only means your response time is delayed.

Then I suggest looking at your actions a little closer.

Brain is engaged, mind is simply bypassed, but apparently you think the two are not separate? The brain is a bio-computer, it is helpful, but the mind creates all problems in life - your identification with it. Utilize the brain, but what is it fundamentally? It is just a point of much electric activity in the human body, just like a computer, and it consists of nothing but dense energy like everything else. I only try to show people they are not something dense, they are the most subtle thing in existence: awareness.

I see nothing wrong with the child deficating wherever it wants, it would provide fertilizer if it is outside, but our need to create an inside has made it a difficult thing for the child and our other animals.

I did it twice in the thread... just read those posts ffs

10. Lunitik

Here, since its so hard, let me show you the posts:

11. bhaktajan

bhaktajan Active Member

So We have an unanimous consensus.

One must acknowledge the problem first ---then proceed to remedy it.

12. Lunitik

The enlightened man knows no problems, he is the remedy.

13. Lunitik

The biggest difference between us, Rob, is you believe you are a good person because you help people, I am simply thankful someone let me help. Your deeds make you feel needed, you make others dependent on you, and this you find praiseworthy, it fuels your ego. For me, the reward is in the deed, because I simply enjoy helping people, making others lives easier, there is no question of myself getting something out of it.

You think you are a good person because you follow the law too, but you need the law to do what is right. You miss this point, it is just another social construct like your idealizing of working, you are giving away part of your life because you have things you want but there is no time to enjoy them. I simply enjoy life directly, I do not need things to make my life better. You have even commented that you do not agree with Open Source because people don't make enough money from it, I think IBM, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Yahoo, Oracle, HP, all these companies seem to be doing just fine through their use of Open Source, many large businesses today would not even be possible without Open Source.

I could have set up a Wordpress instance for your site so it didn't look so cheap, I could have set up a small cluster with phpBB or similar for your forums idea, and what would cost you a few thousand a year on Windows would have been free - except for the price of the domain. Now you can put something like AdSense - which runs on Open Source systems - onto the forum and you could have made money from it just like everyone else. Open Source is about the entire technology industry working together to create something better together, but you prefer one company to control everything. This is fundamentally your entire problem, you think control is meaningful, you would rather control than liberate, you would rather stifle anothers freedom rather than have everyone benefit from you without any direct reward for you personally.

Here is a fairly complete list of people profiting from and contributing to Open Source, but that doesn't even include the start ups, innovating in ways that would be impossible without the FOSS movement. No single company is doing as much for the global economy in a positive way than Open Source.

14. Lunitik

Open Source is no less than the greatest thing to ever happen in the tech industry, and it is exactly because it causes the entire industry to unify their R&D to the benefit of each other.

Here is another list of companies working together on something truly innovative that no single company could ever pull off. Here is another list of companies that would be impossible without this sharing. You talk against this ultimate in sharing, yet you want me to respect your notions of what it means to be a good person? Here is another group of companies profiting from and investing in open source, please browse each link on the left. All these companies are benefiting from each other, it is truly a beautiful thing and it is driving the whole industry forward.

For you, this is not a good thing, for me, I wish all of society was more like this. Individual entities scratching their own itch and allowing everyone else to benefit from their work, instead the world is basically greedy and wants to keep everything for themselves - this is what is wrong in the world, but you put down one of the leading movements to fix it.

15. Lunitik

Each and every company listed is making at least as much as your company is worth annually from open source software, yet they give away their technology because they benefit from others who do the same, you keep your technology utterly secret and yet you cannot really say what exactly is the benefit of it. The planes can still fly with the dents, it is just something cosmetic according to you, yet even this you protect.

How many people do you suppose Facebook or Google have made millionaires? Both are impossible without Linux and the open source movement around them. How many app developers do you think are earning a good living on Android or Google AppEngine or Facebook's App Framework? Zynga purely profits from Facebook traffic and they are going to be a multi-billion dollar company soon - just app creators on the web. Everyone involved can clearly see the benefit to their bottom line, and there are more and more companies coming about that depend entirely on Open Source to make their business even plausible.

Open Source is exactly why the web has gone from this to this. Both are simply web sites, but everything that allows the latter to be so much better has been developed in the open and is available as source code in projects like Mozilla Firefox and Chromium. If we'd left it to Apple or Microsoft the web platform would be nothing today because their basic business practice is about locking you into their platforms, about controlling the customer.

Freeing people to innovate is what the Open Source movement is all about, companies use patents and the like to make innovation impossible.

16. bhaktajan

bhaktajan Active Member

Why is the Bot Spamming? This is NOT a Rhetorical Question!

17. Lunitik

The internet IS the Open Source client platform.

The original TCP/IP stack was created by BSD developers and open sourced right away, HTML was developed at CERN and open sourced immediately. JavaScript was developed openly and so were the modern JIT's which make it feasible. Many sites use PHP and Python which are both open source languages. Apache is running 75% of all sites and is utterly Open Source, some of their newer innovations like Cassandra and Hadoop atop their Tomcat Application Server make most of todays sites a breeze. Fulfilling modern traffic demands would be almost impossible without things like OpenStack and CloudFoundry. Many sites today use things like Ruby on Rails or Django through the latter, which makes everything infinitely easier scale wise. Things like GWT and YUI make creating webapps infinitely easier.

Everything which runs the Web of today is developed by the Open Source communities... yet, ignorant to this you speak against technology sharing. Can you even remember how useless things used to be in this sector? Now, even animated movies like Toy Story and Nemo are rendered on Open Source clusters using Open Source software like Blender for free. Video games often are rendered by the same means, we'd still be in the days of Duke Nukem if people had to rely on Microsoft prices to render their graphics, now the same sorts of games are handled entirely online. All of this, apparently, you are against because Open Source is no ones property, it is simply shared by a global community for the benefit of all.

18. Lunitik

You are not interested in the topic, here's a hint: Stay out of it.

Luecy7 is a programmer, this is something that came up between us in person. There is no need for your "contribution", it is simply an example of his hypocrisy.

19. Lunitik

The greatest thing about Open Source is that you are not stuck with trying to put together what the supplier gives you in an attempt to fulfill your own needs, you can mold the software to exactly fit them. With a proprietary vendor, you have to compromise in certain ways, in open source there is never compromise, there is only mutual benefits. You can simply fork the code if you change it significantly, you can go in an entirely new direction and perhaps merge back together later... there is utter freedom.

You value compromise, I value each person coming to their full potential and compromise makes that impossible. In compromise, each person gets only half of what they desired, the Open Source movement is an example of everyone making each other more rather than less. There is much which can be learned from the way open source works, chief among them is that you don't have to work together to benefit each other, you only have to enable that benefit.

Through this, the Linux kernel supports something like 80 file systems, they all work flawlessly because of the VFS subsystem. There are currently something like 20 hardware platforms whose drivers all work across platforms because of the way it is designed. Not that you'd want to, but now you can put an Nvidia graphics card into an IBM mainframe, just because there is nothing to stop you. The examples go on and on, always the emphasis is on enabling not sacrificing.

There are even forums like this or sites like this where a wide community assists with any issues you might come across, instead of depending on tech support from a company. People volunteer their time - and I have volunteer thousands of hours - to simply assisting people with any problems which might arise in their use of all this software. All of this is then aggregated in places like this so that people can find assistance easier, again all volunteer based. There are even live chat methods like IRC, where currently there are over 1,000 people ready to answer questions in a particular channel. Then, on top of this, there are even people creating scripts through mechanisms like this which as you can see automates almost anything you could want...

This is the way society ought to be, everyone helping each other to do what they want to do, rather than a society of people trying to hold each other back and control each other. Of course, there are rules, but it is mostly just common sense.

20. radarmark

radarmark Quaker-in-the-Making

I am sorry... is this some SW site? I grok bhaktajan's plea. What do any of Lunitik's posts after #352 have to do with 1) interfaith, 2) Religion, Faith & Theology, 3) Belief & Spirituality and 4) "What is the essence of all religions"?

Can anyone besides Lunitik tell me?

Last and confused.