What is nirvana?

"Beloved, now we are the sons, (children), of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when He shall appear we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is."
1 John 3:2

"Beloved, now we are the sons, (children), of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when He shall appear we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is."
1 John 3:2
Dude...really? The one post you make that doesn't contain a matrix.reference or picture of some book or link to an nde site is a bible quote without discussion in an alternative section?

Sorry...
What if I say,
"If Physicists see us as "frozen light"?
What then about yourself?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Aupmanyav, just wondering.
What do you think I am saying when I quoted John's statement about Christ's atonement for the, "sin of the world."

Here we are, all in the same boat. All of us. Due to, "The Fall".

Geo, I am an atheist of long standing and very definite views. I would rather read a science article than what John wrote.
Neither there were any (original) sins not the death of Jesus atoned anything. I know what and where I will be after my death (probably in a hospital on a dissection table where medical students will be learning about human body). Nobody appears after death, and no two skeleton are alike.

Last edited:
Nirvana [lit., 'without qualities'] refers to the extinction of the Soul. Thus the extinction of one's ego and one's individual being.
That witch was a "part" then merges with the absolute void.

Nirvana is revealed to be a temporary attainment due to the eternal nature of the individual soul's nature ---the soul is active and conscious by nature.

Well then, I think that nature is much more vast than we can perceive here, in this organic state.
I can agree with you about ego though.
The survival instinct, and ego are primary here in this body.
The misery in the world is the result of it.

I know that the Zen Master Hakuin discussed samadhi and various samadhi experiences he had. And I know that some literature equates the samadhi experience to the nirvana experience.

I think there may also be discussion of it in the writings of Swami Vivekananda and of Sri Ramakrishna.

I recall reading that when some saints enter into the trance of nirvana, they tend to choose not to return to earth...whereas, if I recall, it is easier to come back to earth / life, after entering into samadhi.

I know that the Zen Master Hakuin discussed samadhi and various samadhi experiences he had. And I know that some literature equates the samadhi experience to the nirvana experience.

I think there may also be discussion of it in the writings of Swami Vivekananda and of Sri Ramakrishna.

I recall reading that when some saints enter into the trance of nirvana, they tend to choose not to return to earth...whereas, if I recall, it is easier to come back to earth / life, after entering into samadhi.

I'm familiar with Hakuin's work. Out of all of the Zen masters I've read, I have the most respect for his teachings

Back