'You will burn in hell!'

Q

Quirkybird

I have been posting on another forum where some 'born again' Christian posters seem to be salivating at the idea of heathens like myself burning in hell forever and ever. How sick is that? They also keep saying the deity is a 'God of love', can't they see that condemning people to burn in hell for mere unbelief would be the act of an evil psycho?

Ah, the joy of
smiley-angry034.gif

I have been posting on another forum where some 'born again' Christian posters seem to be salivating at the idea of heathens like myself burning in hell forever and ever. How sick is that? They also keep saying the deity is a 'God of love', can't they see that condemning people to burn in hell for mere unbelief would be the act of an evil psycho?
Why is it, I wonder, that you need this kind of 'affirmation'? :rolleyes:

Christian scripture originally said that hell would last for an eternity, not for eternity. The original scripture accurately said that there will be multiple eternities. Take a look at a couple of different ways Psalm 90:2 has been translated into English.

Psalm 90:2 "Before the mountains were made, or the earth and the world was formed; from eternity and to eternity thou art God."

"Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.'

"Before mountains were brought forth, And Thou dost form the earth and the world, Even from age unto age Thou art God."

http://bible.cc

The words eternal, everlasting, and age were originally translated from the word kalpa or manvantara, referring to a fixed length of time of billions of years. Christian scripture did not originally say hell is eternal, but later was intentionally changed to say that it is.

Well whatever, there is no evidence an afterlife exists, so I will concentrate on living the life I have now.

The original scripture accurately said that there will be multiple eternities. Take a look at a couple of different ways Psalm 90:2 has been translated into English. The words eternal, everlasting, and age were originally translated from the word kalpa or manvantara, referring to a fixed length of time of billions of years. Christian scripture did not originally say hell is eternal, but later was intentionally changed to say that it is.
"kalpa" is Sanskrit! The text of Psalm 90 reads "from age to age": the Hebrew word is ‘olam. And what has that to do with hell, anyway? In Mark 9.48, Jesus speaks of being "thrown into hell where the devouring worm never dies and the fire is not quenched." If Peter remembered that passage correctly, and Mark translated it into Greek correctly, one can only wonder who would worship such a god?

"...I will concentrate on living the life I have now."

--> This is an idea that is very important in some forms of Buddhism. They emphasize that we should concentrate on what's happening right here, right now. There is a lot of wisdom in such an idea.

concentrate on living the life I have now.
That's the core message of every religion.

Eschatalogical speculation is just that ... but it's not 'the one thing necessary'

By the way, in Traditional Christianity, hell is there only for those who want it ...

I wonder, apart from baiting Christians, do you ever wonder that perhaps it's you who has misunderstood the text? That would be the more likely solution, don't you think?

Certainly, incomprehension arises when one takes a verse and presents it out of context.

Scripture has to be read holistically if it's going to be read literally, and thoughtfully, then if one has the nous the apparent contradictions and inconsistencies resolve themselves and the text reveals something of Itself.

Beyond this, it has to be read prayerfully, or 'in the spirit' as the text itself says, if one seeks enlightenment, more than just understanding.

If one reads purely 'by the letter', then really one skims the surface, and it's hardly surprising one remains 'in the dark' and misses the point altogether. Especially in this 'no-brainer' consumer-oriented world in which we live.

To assume it's 'just a text' like any other, and you approach it like you would a domestic appliance manual is, I suggest, somewhat short-sighted and rather naïf.

Don't be silly, Thomas, people automatically understand the things they read, it¨s human nature.

Don't be silly, Thomas, people automatically understand the things they read ...
Of course they do, it was silly of me to think otherwise. :)

Actually, the current trend here at IO reflects the trends evident in the recent European elections ...

In the past week or two I have been on a couple of US forums where the majority of the posters are extreme and unpleasant 'born agains'. They believe only they have the 'truth' and everyone else, including Christians believing in other doctrines, are destined for the fires of hell! They didn't take kindly to their position being challenged, although I did it quite politely. I was given the heave ho, when I suggested that if Jesus was alive today they might have been the sort of people he had in mind when he came up with the quote, "Depart from me for I never knew you!":D

Back