Christian Fundamentalism

S

Sacredstar

Dear All

A couple of weeks ago, I went in to a prophecy end times website forum without realising it was full of Christian Fundalmentalists. I have to admit I was horrified by the language and hatred that I found there. The more love that I gave the more angry they became. They appear to love all the worst of the bible and use it to support their negativity. I must admit I did allow it to affect me for a few days and it led me to serious contemplation of the world and how much work there is to do. I then did some research to learn more. I was brought up a Christian in the name of love and yet I could not reconcile with their beliefs at all.

an article that appeared in the Guardian about this

Their beliefs are bonkers, but they are at the heart of power
US Christian fundamentalists are driving Bush's Middle East policy
George Monbiot
Tuesday April 20, 2004
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1195568,00.html
-
if you seek to understand this, the history of its development and is overall objectives and interference in world affairs this is a good link

Christian Fundamentalism Exposed

What is Christian Fundamentalism?

http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/

We are talking 30 million people in the US involved in this darkness.

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/fund.html

Seeking to build bridges with those who wish to destroy them.

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

Hello all,

[For the benefit of those who aren't aware the origin of this thread is found in the last few posts of the thread "spiritual abuse" in the "belief and spirituality" section http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1598 in which the original poster describes spiritual abuse by a Christian preacher. This thread is a response to my allegation that this is no way representative of Christians or Christianity and very far from the beauty of Christ's words. Thanks for moving the discussion here and expanding it to something very interesting, Sacredstar, and I hope you don't mind this little intro :) ]

I accept that this fundamentalism is terrible and very worrying, but I maintain that these people, although a sizable proportion, are still a minority (30million is small proportion considering Christianity is the largest belief system in the world).

The words and example of Christ are beautiful and moving beyond description and the essence of Christianity is again breathtakingly beautiful as are the vast majority of Christians. I would go so far as to say that these fundamentalists are very far from the feeling and belief of most Christians (certainly my friends).

I think it is therefore very sad that so much emphasis is placed on fundamentalists. Fundamentalism in any religion is a bad thing and is never representative of the marvelous beauty of that religion but it is unfortunately that which most people focus on.

Actually, you've started/moved this in just the forum. I'd be interested to see the response here.

Sam.

Dear Sam

I agree with all that you have said, my heart sank and hurt when I interacted with some of these people and when reading the links above, so I prayed for understanding.

Yet we cannot stay innocent of the fact that these Christian Fundamenalists actually desire war in the middle east to achieve the predictions in Revelations, or the fact that they are instrumental in dictating world events in the US. They appear to delight in every step towards war and tribulation which is completely against the sacred heart of Jesus and the wisdom of GOD.

My only experience in the past was born again Christians demonstrating outside MBS (Mind, Body, Spirit) exhibitons. I invited them in to show me where the devil was and promised that I would rid the demon should they find him!!

They do not accept any logical reason. It is very sad indeed that in their intolerance they have become anti-christs themselves.

For where there is anti-love, surely there is an anti-christ.

GOD help us all

Sacredstar

I used to belong to a couple of big Christian discussion sites on MSN - I even admined one for a while. What I really learned there, most of all, is that Christians come in every different shape and form, filling a wide personality spectrum. There are some I am still very friendly with today.

However, there is often a predilection for obsession in "end times" matters, with various people convinced they've cracked it with speculation lacking any kind of basis in research.

The Christian Right are a natural part of America's political and religious sphere - but it is something that we simply have to get used to. Although some Christian Fundamentalists can be pretty venomous at the slightest provacation, others have been most delightful company. Ultimately, I would prefer to reach in the latter manner, than the former. A friendly word can be more powerful at instituting change, than hate.

Dear Brian

Yes I agree. One would like think that all hearts could melt with love, but yet the more love I shared the more militant they became, so then I prayed that they would find the love, light and wisdom in their hearts and that GOD would speak to them direct.

Love beyond measure

Sacredstar

if you want to know how fundamentalists (of all the abrahamic faiths) tick and how they got that way, i suggest a good starting point is karen armstrong's book "the battle for G!D"; the important point for her is that fundamentalists are essentially *modern* - but people who experience modernity as a dreadful experience and are driven by fear of it. this leads many to retreat into a paranoid siege mentality which eventually lashes out. i think it's a fairly good typology.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Well from a healer of consciousness and facilitator of change standpoint, they haven't healed the root causes of their core issues. If they had they would not entertain anything other then being unconditional love.

Big smiles!

Being love

Sacredstar

Dear Marsh

Do you think they will ever shift? What will it take?

I noticed that a majority will not consider any text outside of the King James Bible. Is it a generation thing? I did notice the younger ones were not abusive like the older ones.

May peace prevail on earth.

Sacredstar

Good evening all,

When a person, or group of like minded persons are so insecure in their own beliefs, and yet maintain a sense of arrogance about self over others (read that as I am superior to you, or I know better than you...), then you will likely find a den of "fundemental extremists", just waiting to fester, and proliferate. It does not matter what label is placed on the group, "instant a$$&*)^$", just add irrational paranoia.

A true "fundementalist" is one who quitely walks the walk, and ignores the talk. They live the best of their beliefs day by day. They don't have to tell us who they are, we see it in their actions...and we quietly approve, and even wish we could act that way in a crisis, or under pressure, or just because.

I watched a homeless man in a wheel chair try to negotiate a curb recently, and he failed resulting in his sprawling in the street. Just then the light turned green, and people started to move forward intent on ignoring the plight of the "bum". While a few of us mulled over getting out to help him, vs. holding up the "traffic's important sojourn to where ever, one young man did not hesitate. He bolted from his car, and in a flash bodily picked up the rather filthy human, while irritated drivers honked their horns at the "delay" his car caused them in moving forward.

Funny thing though, when the one man picked up the other, he couldn't right the wheel chair, so he spun around looking at the cars with a kind of lost look on his face. The fallen man looked too, with a sort of "we'll see what you people do next" look in his eyes. It's funny because one of the first to honk their horn in irritation, got out of his car and righted the wheel chair, while several others hesitantly continued forward from their cars to lend assistance (they all beeped their horns at first) :D

Once the man was seated squarely in his wheel chair, a couple of people still hovered around him (while the young man who started the whole affair slipped away and drove off), and offered the homeless man a few dollars (sheepishly I should think). In the meantime, traffic was at a dead stop behind all these "abandoned vehicles running, with doors wide open"..., but no horns were being lain on.

The ultimate irony was the police officer in his squad car, sitting at a gas station, the driver watching all of this hallaboo, with the biggest grin I've seen on a cop, in a long time...

I'm certain other faiths can claim these as their moral and philosophical prerequisites, but from my point of view, that sight was Fundemental Christianity in affect. Not perfect, in fact mostly stumbling along, but getting the job done, none the less.

The instant we get away from thinking of selves, and start thinking of someone else, that is when God can work positively in our lives, for ourselves and for others. And that is the point when we set examples for the world to want to emulate.

That is the true fundemental value of any faith worth its salt. And it is a good thing.

Merry Christmas all.

v/r

Q

bananabrain said:
if you want to know how fundamentalists (of all the abrahamic faiths) tick and how they got that way, i suggest a good starting point is karen armstrong's book "the battle for G!D"; the important point for her is that fundamentalists are essentially *modern* - but people who experience modernity as a dreadful experience and are driven by fear of it. this leads many to retreat into a paranoid siege mentality which eventually lashes out. i think it's a fairly good typology.

b'shalom

bananabrain
I recently read this book and found it very helpful in understanding fundementalism in the Abrahamic faiths, which I didn't realize was rooted so deeply in the modern period. It sheds some light on why fundementalists are so incredibly hostile and where their frame of mind originated. It's sadly ironic that modernity can have such an overwhelming backlash while bringing the world to this level of achievement and comfort (which admittedly isn't where it could-or should-be).

Sacredstar said:
an article that appeared in the Guardian about this

Their beliefs are bonkers, but they are at the heart of power
US Christian fundamentalists are driving Bush's Middle East policy
George Monbiot
Tuesday April 20, 2004
The Guardian

-
Hi Sacredstar,

Yes, I read a similar article to this. It mentioned that the Christian Fundamentalists believe that the recreation of the nation of Israel in 1948 fulfills certain prophecies. Because of this, they wish to see the survival of Israel in the Middle East at all costs.

Dear Quahom1

Thank you for sharing that wonderful story.

being love

Sacredstar

Hello Sacredstar

I just wanted to remark on this column that you linked

"if you seek to understand this, the history of its development and is overall objectives and interference in world affairs this is a good link"

Its not just the fundamentalists that believe in the end times prophecies. This article was so extremely biased in one direction that it cannot possibly hold an objectiveness needed to make a valid point. That article was very anti-christ so do 2 wrongs make a right? That author would have sounded so much more reasonable in stating his arguments had he not been sarcastic and disrespectful in his opinion. He not only bashed the fundamentalist christians he bashed every practicing christian because every christian is aware of the end times some are just not as passionate in vocalizing it.

We are told to watch for these happenings and we do so because the Bride of Christ awaits her Bridegroom with eagerness.

6 "These things which you see--the days will come in which not one stone shall be left upon another that shall not be thrown down."
7 So they asked Him, saying, "Teacher, but when will these things be? And what sign will there be when these things are about to take place?" 8 And He said: "Take heed that you not be deceived. For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He,' and, 'The time has drawn near.' Therefore do not go after them. 9 But when you hear of wars and commotions, do not be terrified; for these things must come to pass first, but the end will not come immediately." 10 Then He said to them, "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 11 And there will be great earthquakes in various places, and famines and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and great signs from heaven. 12 But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons. You will be brought before kings and rulers for My name's sake. 13 But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony. 14 Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer; 15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist. 16 You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death. 17 And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. 18 But not a hair of your head shall be lost. 19 By your patience possess your souls.

20 "But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her. 22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. 23 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! For there will be great distress in the land and wrath upon this people. 24 And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled. 25 "And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; 26 men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of heaven will be shaken. 27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."29 Then He spoke to them a parable: "Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. 30 When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near. 31 So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. 32 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. 34 "But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. 35 For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man."

And no im not a fundamentalist.. im non-denominational. I hold to no doctorines other than Gods.

I believe in the complete inerrancy and authoritve word of God.
I believe in the Holy Trinity= God: Father Son Holy Spirit the 3 aspects of God

Faithful Servant

Back