Stream of Conscious Questions

Quath

Reaction score
So I have a few questions about Judaism. Almost everything I know of it comes from Christian debate forums/websites. So let me ask a few off the top of my head:

1. Is the Old Testament the major holy book? (I believe I heard that there are some more stories like the Macabees or something.)

2. Is the name God or Yaweh or some other version?

3. Is there a concept of heaven or hell?

4. Is Satan considered evil or just some accuser of humanity?

5. How many denominations (or versions) of Judiasm are there?

I will probably ask more, but 5 is a good number to start with.

Quath

Quath said:
So I have a few questions about Judaism. Almost everything I know of it comes from Christian debate forums/websites. So let me ask a few off the top of my head:

Hi Quath. Welcome to the site. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1. Is the Old Testament the major holy book? (I believe I heard that there are some more stories like the Macabees or something.)

The major holy book in Judaism is the Torah. The prophets and writings are less important but are still important, and together these three collections are called the Tanakh which is an acronym for the Hebrew names of these collections. We don't call it the old testament because we don't consider that there was ever a new one. Macabees we consider apocrypha. I know some Christian sects include it in their canon.

There is also the Talmud which is very large and contains a lot of law and also other things. The talmud is not considered part of the biblical canon. Then there are other important books that have popped up but those are really the main ones.

2. Is the name God or Yaweh or some other version?

There are many names for God but we consider the holiest to be the tetragramatton, which we do not pronounce. Instead we will say either HaShem, which means "The name" and is a direct reference to that particular name or Adonai which means Lord.

3. Is there a concept of heaven or hell?

Not quite, and in Judaism ideas about the afterlife don't get much emphasis. We pay more attention to this life. The closest thing is the idea of Gehenna and Gan Eden. The idea is that after someone dies their fulfilled mitzvot(commandments) are weighed against their sins with justice tempered by mercy. At this time they either go to gan eden or to gehenna. Gehenna is like a forge where the person will hopefully be transformed so they can move on to Gan Eden. They might experience the pain caused by the negative effects of their sins in this life. It's all pretty vague. If they haven't after a certain period of time transformed -- and this would only be the truly wicked -- their soul is mercifully extinguished. If they transform, they go to Gan Eden which is a good place and not the same as the one as genesis.

There's also an idea of transmigration, of the soul leaving one body at death and eventually inhabiting another, that appears in Judaism. But ultimately these things are usually seen as something not worth worrying too much about in this lifetime.

4. Is Satan considered evil or just some accuser of humanity?

Accuser. In Judaism angels don't have free will the way we do. They serve God as God wishes. Satan is just seen as another servant of God doing God's will.

5. How many denominations (or versions) of Judiasm are there?

Well, Judaism't pretty open to free thinking and usually denominations are defined more by action than belief. And except for some extremists, everyone Jewish considers everyone else who is a Jew to be Jewish. This could become complicated because of a ruling the Reform movement made that says if someone's father is Jewish they are Jewish while in Judaism traditionally the mother must be Jewish. I'll sum it up though.

Orthodox Jews are traditional Jews and can be divided up in many ways while still all being orthodox. When BB gets to the thread if he wants he can go into some of the differences between the modern and ultra, sefardic, hasidic, etc. They strive to keep all of the 613 mitzvot(commandments) as explained in the Talmud.

Conservative is commited to keeping the mitzvot(commandments) but is willing to be quite a bit more lenient than the orthodox and tends to be more open to modern scholarship in study. It leaves decisions about change to the rabbis.

Reform is quite liberal and originally only cared about the moral laws. But they have returned very much to ritual law. They say it's up to the individual entirely to decide how much they will observe.

Reconstructionism is the one exception about belief. It broke off from the conservative movement. Some of them do not believe in God, some of them believe God is that force that exerts itself when humans act for the greater good. They're naturalists and I have been told they follow the mitzvot in order to connect with their ancestors, to keep the traditions alive.

Jewish renewal is not a movement but they do have their own seminary and they have affiliated synagogues. They're about bringing meaningful spiritual and mystical experience mostly to the movements other than orthodox. They're big on feminism and protecting the environment. The founders were all mostly hippies.

But each of these movements considers the other movements Jewish and I don't consider myself a member of any of them. I'm just a Jew.

I hope that's helpful.

Dauer

Thanks, Dauer! That was some great information. I guess I will shoot off a few more.

6. Christians place a lot of importance in the Garden of Eden story as the fall of man. How does Judaism treat this?

7. Faith healing plays a lot into Christianity as well. Are there elements of faith healing in Judaism?

8. How strict are the laws (mitzvot?) kept? For example, not resting on the Sabbath resulting in being stoned to death in the past. Is this type of extreme punishment dropped?

9. There were a lot of prophets in the past in the Tanakh. Are there any new prophets or is this a living document that gets updated as new prophets appear?

10. I saw a statistic yesterday that said that 1/4 of Jews are atheist. So what defines a Jew? Is it blood, culture or beliefs?

Thanks for the answers.

Quath

Quath said:
Thanks, Dauer! That was some great information. I guess I will shoot off a few more.

No problem. I'll take a look.

6. Christians place a lot of importance in the Garden of Eden story as the fall of man. How does Judaism treat this?

I find the story of the Garden of Eden is one of those things enigmatic enough to yield a few different answers about certain issues, but some are pretty clear. The serpent is not the Satan and there are a number of ideas about what he is and if you'd like I can go into that a little. Both Adam and Eve each are fully responsible for their actions. The only punishment of the fall is that which is described directly in Genesis. Their sin is described in Hebrew as a cheit, a missing of the mark, which is the least bad of any of the types of sins. So we don't consider there to be original sin or any form of inherited sin. Actually in Judaism it is the deeds of the righteous that can speak on behalf of future generations. The Garden of Eden is also not necessarily taken literally.

7. Faith healing plays a lot into Christianity as well. Are there elements of faith healing in Judaism?

I don't think there really is. There's a big history of Jews in medicine. Maimonides was personal physician to Saladin and this is reflective of a normative role for educated Jews. There was a time when there was a particular role for some people as Baal Shem, a Keeper of the Name. They would do special rituals to help sick people or make amulets. This was during a period of history when the same type of thing was going on outside of the Jewish community. But I can't think of any examples of faith healers.

8. How strict are the laws (mitzvot?) kept? For example, not resting on the Sabbath resulting in being stoned to death in the past. Is this type of extreme punishment dropped?

All of the laws of the Torah are understood through the mishna, which is the oldest part of the Talmud, and the mishna is understood through the gemara, which is a later part of the Talmud. In deuteronomy there are laws set for trials and how they are to be carried out. This is explained further in the Talmud which shows it is very difficult to actually carry out the death penalty, near impossible. Furthermore, it can't be done without a standing Sanhedrin, a High Court, which does not exist. A statement is made that one execution in seven years is a bloody court.

9. There were a lot of prophets in the past in the Tanakh. Are there any new prophets or is this a living document that gets updated as new prophets appear?

No. There cannot be new prophets unless certain conditions are met. I think the majority of Jewish people must be living in Israel for prophesy to happen again but I'm not sure. That's not to say there haven't been people in Jewish history who claimed to be prophets, but even if they were they would not be added to the canon, which is closed.

10. I saw a statistic yesterday that said that 1/4 of Jews are atheist. So what defines a Jew? Is it blood, culture or beliefs?

If someone's mother is Jewish, they are Jewish. If someone converts, they are Jewish. They cannot reverse their Jewishness. They can do things that cut them off from the Jewish people, but if they do teshuva, repentance or returning, they can rejoin the Jewish people. Judaism isn't defined by belief in the way Christianity is. There are things Jews don't believe and general beliefs Jews tend to share but it's more about actions. That's not to say all Jews believe completely different things, just that what is indoctrinated tends to be a bit vaguer. You could have a mystical panentheist and a rational monotheist who are both entirely Jewish and hold entirely valid Jewish views on God. I believe it's unlikely the Torah or any other holy book is from God, and that these books are more likely holy because we hold them to be so, and I'm still Jewish. I don't, however, have a problem with the fact that the community makes the book holy. I consider it a way of making God more accessible.

As far as the study, I don't know if it's true or not. There are secular Jews. They remain Jewish even if they don't believe at all and probably identify themselves as Jewish. There is one form of Judaism I didn't mention before called humanistic Judaism. They don't believe in God.

Dauer

and... here's BB!

Orthodox Jews are traditional Jews and can be divided up in many ways while still all being orthodox. When BB gets to the thread if he wants he can go into some of the differences between the modern and ultra, sefardic, hasidic, etc. They strive to keep all of the 613 mitzvot(commandments) as explained in the Talmud.
there are two main ethnic groupings, namely the ashkenazim, which means literally "germans", but actually refers to all jews of european or eastern-european extraction, in other words anyone from the original communities in france, germany, poland, russia, hungary etc. the communities in the americas are generally from these places, too.

basically, the ashkenazis refer to non-ashkenazic jews as "sephardim", which literally means "spanish". like the ashkenazic definition, it is not, strictly speaking, correct, as it does not distingmish between those descended from families from iberia (such as the Moroccan, bosnian and turkish jews) who were expelled from iberia after 1492 and those from communities that never lived in spain and portugal, such as the persians, iraqis and yemenites. these communities are more properly referred to as the "eidot mizrah" or ‘communities of the east’. there are a few more groupings like the ethiopian jews and so on, but generally this is a really heterogeneous grouping.

the sephardic and eidot mizrah communities don't have reconstructionist, liberal, reform, conservative, masorti, modern-orthodox, hasidic denominations; this only really happens in the ashkenazic world. generally, it's an ethnic identity which ranges from the secular, like the art collector charles saatchi to the ultra-orthodox, like the "shas" political party in israel.

if you want to know about the various denominations within orthodox and ultra-orthodox ashkenazic jewry, feel free to ask.

this episode is one of the most mysterious, multilayered and difficult to understand parts of the Torah. many different concepts are derived from it, particularly in the area of mysticism. this is enough for a thread on its own.

i would say 'depends what you mean'. amulets are not the only thing; many of the hasidic rebbes are attributed mysterious healing powers by their followers and i've heard some of these stories first hand. similarly, the great sephardic kabbalists such as the baba sali are also attributed to have great healing powers. i'd say this is pretty uncommon outside the mystically-minded part of the ultra-orthodox world, but is quite popular in israel.

A statement is made that one execution in seven years is a bloody court.
in fact, that's seventy years. effectively, the standard of evidence is set so high that it's impossible to secure the death penalty. there is a considerable body of opinion that holds that the different penalties are actually meant to indicate the relative severity of the offence, rather than as actual tariffs. in other words, it shows what you deserve for committing such a dreadful sin, but stops short of carrying it out.

No. There cannot be new prophets unless certain conditions are met. I think the majority of Jewish people must be living in Israel for prophesy to happen again but I'm not sure. That's not to say there haven't been people in Jewish history who claimed to be prophets, but even if they were they would not be added to the canon, which is closed.
what we mean by prophecy is very, very specific. there are also specific ways of identifying a new prophet in an environment where prophecy is considered possible. by this logic, the only "true nevi'im" are jewish. obviously this doesn't preclude a level of prophecy for other faiths, which is assisted by the fact that the word for "prophet" in hebrew is "navi", which is different from the word in arabic used in islam, which is "rasul", meaning 'messenger'. some people have taken this to a chauvinistic extreme, unfortunately, but they're a bunch of eejits.

b'shalom

bananabrain

in fact, that's seventy years. effectively, the standard of evidence is set so high that it's impossible to secure the death penalty. there is a considerable body of opinion that holds that the different penalties are actually meant to indicate the relative severity of the offence, rather than as actual tariffs. in other words, it shows what you deserve for committing such a dreadful sin, but stops short of carrying it out.

I thought it looked more like this:

Rabbi A says, 1 death in 70 years is a bloody Sanhedrin.
Rabbi B says, 1 death in 7 years is a bloody Sanhedrin.
Rabbi C says, If I were on the Sanhedrin there would be no deaths.
Rabbi D says, If you were on the Sanhedrin evil would run wild in Israel, ( or something like that.)

Am I incorrect in this or is it just my understanding of the text that is incorrect? 7 may have been added later, but it still says 7.

Dauer

Edit: Wait. I see my error. I got the two mixed up, the stricter and the more lenient. Now I see. I think my brain was on hiatus.

Thank you all for the great answers. Thi is actually going faster than I thought. It took me months on a Christian board to get some of these type of questions half-answered. With tens of thousands of denominations, it was hard to get anything close to an agreement on most questions. So I will go ahead with the harder and more controversial type of questions.

11. There is a theory that the early writings were compiled together after Moses had passed. By that point there were two sets of stories because the Israelites had been separated. So when compiling the Bible, some of the stories were placed together instead of reconciled. The two places I have seen this are the creation account and Balaam story with the talking donkey. How is this seen in Judaism?

12. How is God's morality reconciled? This probably deserves a topic of its own, but I would see how controversial it is first. I will just list a few actions of controversy:
a) God kills 42 youths with bears for mocking Elijah.
b) God kills David's son for David's adultry.
c) God kills a man who refused to hit a prophet.
d) God makes the Pharoah refuse to let the Israelites go and then kills the firstborn as punishment.
e) God condones slavery.
f) God tells Joshua to kill off every man, woman and child of neighboring tribes. He even joins in the fighting or keeps the sun in the sky for more daylight fighting.
So are these actions considered morally good because God did them or they interpreted differently?

13) Is evolution or Big Bang Theory a problem for Judaism as it seems to be for Christianity?

14) Are the temples supported only by tithing?

15) Does Judasim support mixing religion and politics in general?

Thanks again for all the answers.

Quath

Quath said:
11. There is a theory that the early writings were compiled together after Moses had passed. By that point there were two sets of stories because the Israelites had been separated. So when compiling the Bible, some of the stories were placed together instead of reconciled. The two places I have seen this are the creation account and Balaam story with the talking donkey. How is this seen in Judaism?

The orthodox believe that the written and oral torahs were received at Sinai. Most everyone else is open to any modern theory that makes sense. To me it seems most likely the Torah was written by a number of different groups of people and even different individuals within these groups. I don't quite support documentary hypothesis because I think it's too rigid and that sometimes it is taken too far, but I still think it's going in the right direction.

12. How is God's morality reconciled? This probably deserves a topic of its own, but I would see how controversial it is first. I will just list a few actions of controversy:

This probably deserves a separate topic. I believe the traditional idea is that God's nature is defined on Sinai and anything that appears to violate this is simply a misunderstanding on our part.

I am a liberal Jew and believe that all representations of God in the Bible are just showing different ways that man has related to God. I don't believe God interferes with the laws of physics. This is not to say that all liberal Jews believe what I believe, but this is what I believe.

It would be helpful also if you can cite your sources in the new thread too.

There is another issue that arise from this about evil in the world, to which there are a number of answers.

13) Is evolution or Big Bang Theory a problem for Judaism as it seems to be for Christianity?

Not really. According to Judaism there are many ways to approach the text and many levels of understanding. There are some Jews who oppose one or both of these ideas anyway, there's just no reason for their positions to be the only ones.

14) Are the temples supported only by tithing?

No. They are not temples of which there was only one, the one in Jerusalem that is now in ruins. Sometimes they are called temples, which is confusing, but they are actually synagogues in English. There is a system of yearly dues that some people groan about. Anybody can pray at a synagogue, but in order to become a member you pay a certain amount each year. There's a set fee but it's really assessed for each person based on what they can afford.

Something you may not ask about that is related, is that a rabbi is an employee of the congregation and is not considered and closer to God than anyone else. They are, however, considered an expert of Jewish law and are able to give a ruling based on existing laws when asked. I think of them more like scholar-gurus.

In general? In America, no. I think historically Jews have put up with enough mixing of Church and State to warrant caution. Rabbis don't really have the authority to tell people who to vote for in an election, but in certain very ultra-orthodox communities they do anyway. This is a very very small minority. That's not to say they won't have an opinion, but if they talk about something they see as wrong with politics that doesn't make it God's word.

In Israel there are some who believe it should become a more Jewish state and some who believe it should become a more secular state. Reasons vary. Right now it's a democratic country with certain things, like marriage laws, controled by the orthodox rabbis.

Dauer

dauer seems to be answering stuff fairly comprehensively, so i'll just confine myself to adding bits that he hasn't covered.

evolution is controversial in some quarters, but in general terms it would only be problematic if you took all the dates in the first chapter of genesis literally and, to be perfectly honest, there are very few jewish PoVs that do. it is a matter of general agreement that the ma'aseh bereishit, as it's called, is meant to be read allegorically, symbolically and mystically and, frankly, it's much more rewarding that way.

the big bang, on the other hand, really isn't at all controversial as far as i'm aware. there's a book, "genesis and the big bang", which is supposed to be pretty comprehensive on how to reconcile the two.

i would say that some aspects of politics are of great importance to jews, particularly those to do with social justice and fairness. however, this is in the nature of an informal mixture and comes under the general commandment to make the world a better place and be good citizens. by contrast, the formal mixture of religion and politics is both explosive and potentially messianic, as we are currently seeing in israel. it has usually, in the past, resulted in catastrophe for us, which lesson seems not to have been learned by the national-religious camp, unfortunately.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back