Skipped Heart Beats

Namaste Jesus

Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai
Veteran Member
Reaction score
For nearly 2 years now I've had the sensation of skipped heart beats. Usually after every 3rd beat. Cardiologist tells me it's because the 3rd beat is occurring too soon which increases the interval between that and the next beat. What he has been unable to tell me is why this happens or how to correct it.

I've had more expensive tests than I can remember, all coming back negative. I tried medication to slow the heart rate which seemed to work for a while, but than the sensation returned. I tried changing my diet. This too worked for a while, but ultimately the symptoms returned. I even tried vitamin supplements. Same result.

Doctor says it's nothing to worry about, but it's really hard not to. Has anyone else had this problem and what has been done about it?

no, but how many different cardiologists have you seen?

Thanks to Obama care I can barely afford to see the one! My GP does not think the problem is cardio related though. He's of the opinion the skipped beats are a symptom of something else, but does not know what....

Thanks E D, I've visited that site before. The doctors I've seen pretty much ruled out most of the possible causes mentioned there. I'm not dehydrated. No valve problems. No blockages or aneurysms. Not even a brain malfunction. Although, some of my fellow posters may disagree with that..... Thanks again!

Thanks to Obama care I can barely afford to see the one! My GP does not think the problem is cardio related though. He's of the opinion the skipped beats are a symptom of something else, but does not know what....

I prefer Obamacare over what I have right now (as far as I know, Obamacare will pay for some of the genetic tests that were recommended to me; not so with "Walkercare".) Heck, if I miss just one appointment, I could be dropped by any of my physicians, including the one monitoring my cholesterol levels (ironically, it keeps climbing although I'm a vegetarian. :rolleyes:)

I apologize for hijacking your thread with my kvetch.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Obamacare has worked out well for those who were previously uninsurable due to preexisting conditions and those who could not afford heath coverage and did not qualify for Medi-care. I myself do not qualify for any government subsidies and do not benefit from Obamacare at all. All it has done for me is drive the cost of healthcare up. Thanks to Obamacare, my insurance premiums have more than doubled as has the cost of most medical services. It now costs me more in deductibles and co-pays for a given procedure than it would have cost me 2 years ago to pay for the entire thing out of pocket. Heathcare reform was supposed to bring the cost of healthcare down, not drive it up!

Doctor says it's nothing to worry about, but it's really hard not to. Has anyone else had this problem and what has been done about it?

It is what is is. You can choose to worry, which will worsen any medical condition, or you can live your life with efforts to be free of worry. The physical body is sure to drop off at some point. The only question is when.

Last spring this mind opted for the first physical of this lifetime. (At age 60, after hearing Doc ask me, "When's the last time you had a physical?" about 20 times over the last 15 years or so.) Everything was fine ... cholestorel level, blood pressure, iron, B12, (I'm a vegetarian of 40 years) gluten sensitivity, etc. It satisfied the curiosity.

Then, last fall, while doing volunteer work, dirt moving at the local Hindu temple, I had a heart attack. (very minor one) No signs, no premonitions, nothing. So yes, it can happen ... anybody, any time, any place. If not disease, than a car accident, a trip over a hole in the grass, food poisoning, rare disease, coconut falling on head.. I've introduced an exercise routine, extension of cardio-rehab, but I always wanted to anyway, in the winter, since retiring, just never got around to it.

So it's your choice ... worry about this, and anything else you read about ... ebola outbreaks, terrorists, random drive-by shooting.
Or .... not.

So now we know, Hinduism is apparently one of the wrong religions.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

Of course I'd be curious, NJ, about the temple you were at. I'm curious as to which of the many sects of Hinduism are to your liking. Hinduism, is so vast.

@ Cup ... of course religions other than one's own is wrong for you. If they weren't, then you'd best switch.

As for illness, death, etc., nothing surprises me.

Of course I'd be curious, NJ, about the temple you were at. I'm curious as to which of the many sects of Hinduism are to your liking. Hinduism, is so vast.
The Temple I spoke of is one that I built for my wife with my own 2 hands over a 2 year period. My wife is a Hindu from the Fiji Islands and I had promised her that if we were ever able to buy a large enough property that I would build a Hindu Temple on it for her. Little did I know I'd end up presiding over it with a small number of followers.

My wife's family are mostly devotees of either Ram, Shiva or Krishna. I'm partial to Krishna myself. The Bhagavad Gita is one of my favorite religious texts.

You may want to check out my posts in the Introduction section under "Enjoying the Experience" for more information.

Thank you. Who is the presiding deity?

There are two Fijian run temples in my city (Edmonton, Canada) and at least 3 I know of in Vancouver. I will go to one here in a few weeks to participate in their kavadi festival. My regular temple is Sri Lankan run.

Fijian Hinduism is it's own unique blend of stuff.

Thank you. There are two Fijian run temples in my city (Edmonton, Canada) and at least 3 I know of in Vancouver. I will go to one here in a few weeks to participate in their kavadi festival. My regular temple is Sri Lankan run.

Fijian Hinduism is it's own unique blend of stuff.
"Fijian" generally refers to the native Fijians. The Indian population of Fiji are usually refered to as Indo-Fijian. Although the current government lists the entire population as Fijian.

I just wanted to make that distinction because there are some native Fijians that have converted to Hinduism, but the vast majority are Christian. My wife's family are originally from Northern India who's religious practice I'm most familiar with. Those originally from the Southern portion of India practice there faith entirely different, but all do so with a decided "Island Attitude".

"Fijian" generally refers to the native Fijians. The Indian population of Fiji are usually refered to as Indo-Fijian. Although the current government lists the entire population as Fijian.

I just wanted to make that distinction because there are some native Fijians that have converted to Hinduism, but the vast majority are Christian. My wife's family are originally from Northern India who's religious practice I'm most familiar with. Those originally from the Southern portion of India practice there faith entirely different, but all do so with a decided "Island Attitude".

Indeed. It's generally the Indo-Fijians who have moved. We have a lot since Canada and Fiji were once both members of the British commonwealth, and at one time that affected immigration. None of the temples here have Christ on the altar I've heard of it but never seen it personally.

I think the situation back home has settled down lately, but there were a few rough years there, with the conflict, nearly accelerating to civil war.

I've been to two temples in Maryland, the ones just off the Beltway near Lanham.

NJ, when I used 'signs' before, I meant from the doctor, or physicals, like having high blood pressure. At the moment of the heart attack, it was a pain I'd never felt before. Since I was an athlete, I was used to lots of strain and bruise kinds of pain. This one was more inside the chest, left side, but not as severe as a good bruise either. The internet has lots of info on the signs. It also didn't go away like when you're out of breath or 'had the wind knocked out of you'.

Back