What is Masonry?

Zimcat

Reaction score
Conspiracy's aside what is Masonry? What are the basics?
I heard that Illuminati has nothing to do with it, yet that's what people believe.
Anyway some real information I'd like to know :)

You are not likely to get much in the way of someone coming forward. Masonry to my understanding is very secretive. The few opportunities I've had to ask questions, they were politely dismissed or ignored.

Can't blame a person for trying, but even the write ups at places like Wiki are not very forthcoming about what goes on behind closed doors.

I conjecture about "The Science of Building in ancient times" was that is predated alchemy pursuits ---and it was handed down among workers' family lineages. Predicated on that simply 'guild' rule [akin to other such expertises, ie: shipbuilding; blacksmithing; music; law and nepotism in goverment circles] I propose the idea that ancient mega-building projects were all done by the same group of exclusive "in the know" builders.
It's like I am saying that the Taj-Mahal was constructed by an Imported Consultant clique of Builders known through word of mouth in aristocratic circles.

They could always use local labor ---but the design-builder-architects where from a linage of a small clique of such experts ---since time-immemorial.

Building aquaducts, hanging gardens, megaliths, are done by a cartel of sub-contractors and management enterprises that move on to other far flung projects just as they are today. Many a Hong Kong Building was accomplished by world-class construction companies with headquaters far away from the project site.

Feng shui in China.
Vastu Shastra in India [pre-dates Chinese feng shui].
Vitruvian design principles [The Roman architect Vitruvius in his treatise on architecture, De Architectura, asserted that there were three principles of good architecture: Firmatis (Durability) – It should stand up robustly and remain in good condition. Utilitas (Utility) – It should be useful and function well for the people using it.]
Pythagoras design principles.

One of my colleagues at school is a mason. At least he has the license plate of a master. When I asked about it he simply smirked and said he liked whapping students' knuckles with rulers and that he's very good at it. There were a lot of things wrong with that response, but he stonewalled me with silence the only other time I asked.

When in high school was the master of our local Order of DeMolay, a junior Masonic organization. I'd tell you the "secrets," but it's been so long, dang if I can remember them.:p

I got the same type of response when I asked. He just said "You can't be one you're a woman"

I don't see it as much different than any group...fraternal organization... Revolves around a common cause, thought or experience, assists others while.assisting each other...

I'm inclined to agree, the main difference is the secrecy of course and people tend to assume the worst. I'm living under the modern incarnation of the Knights Templar who leases the place out to a Druidic order. My exs granfader is also part of a gentlemens fraternity who scuffs at all "the nonsense" and thinks people should mind their own business. To me they seem like relics from a time past, as do some of their values.

I've had the opportunity to be in a large masonic lodge in sanfrancisco...their ritual room had a stage....we were pulling down the various Greek themed backdrops.and contemplating what they were for...all quite interesting...

Again, biggest reason for them all is helping each other....when you are in court with your masons ring, and you see the judge and prosecuting attorney have theirs...you might just get the case tossed.in a technicality... When you need a lawyer, an accountant, a pool guy, whatever...first you check.your membership for the skill you need and a preferred rate.

I'm a Freemason.

Freemasonry is a civic-minded fraternal organization that focuses on building character and virtue in it's members.

~ Aetius

Which path are you on? Scottish or and what is the difference should one be interested?

Becoming a Master Mason in the Blue Lodge is the highest one can go, however, there are two other associate bodies, Scottish Rite and York Rite. Scottish Rite is for everyone, at the highest levels of York one will find it distinctly Christian. One can also join the Shriner's or be given a special invited to become a Rosicrucian.

Many in the Orange Order are Freemasons as well.

~ Aetius

The Orange Order a Protestant fraternity that seeks to shed Light and Wisdom using symbolism, allegory and tracing boards. Similar to Freemasonry. Unlike Freemasonry, the OO only accepts Protestants.

Orange Order tracing board.

hib5.jpg

A Freemason tracing board.

91h8RR7T3dL._AC_UL320_SR238,320_.jpg

Each image alludes to a teaching within the ritual.

~ Aetius

And the York Rite? I remember the two paths....recall hearing you had to make a choice as to which to take...but it was so long ago. Friends and cousins were in Demolay (sp?) and Rainbow Girls...My grandmother and grandfather were up in the organizations of masons and eastern star, my grandma the head poobah (don't know the titles) for the state of NY at one time... more Aunts and Uncles were in than cousins.... altogether I believe a withering organization prolly with an average age in the 60s...who wants to memorize a book for the initiations to umpteen levels... I recall about 15 years ago my printer was encouraging me to join...they had a conference where you could get some 20 levels in the weekend as long as you had joined and worked through the first one or two the conventional way...

The Shriners I thought were part of the Masons, I liked their little cars in parades....that interested me...and they 'taxied' families from airports to hospitals to save them actual cabfare. I've never been a fraternal order of anything.. Plenty of friends have joined the Elks, Clampers, Oddfellows, Moose Lodges, American Legion, etc.. most it seems for the cheap drinks and ability to rent/borrow the hall for weddings and funerals etc.

From the BBC:

The Freemasons have placed full-page advertisements in several national newspapers calling for an end to the "discrimination" against their members.
In an advert in the Times, the Daily Telegraph and the Guardian, the governing body of Freemasonry complains of the "gross misrepresentation" of its members. Under the headline "Enough is enough", chief executive Dr David Staples said the organisation raised more than £33m for good causes last year.

The United Grand Lodge of England (UGLE) said it welcomes individuals from all walks of life but that members are "undeservedly stigmatised". It said it had written to the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

Recent news stories questioned the influence of Freemasons in policing and in parliament.

Dr Staples said people of any race, faith, age, class or political persuasion were welcome in the 300-year-old organisation. The United Grand Lodge of England is restricted to men, although separate women-only lodges also exist.

The ads follow claims that members of the Freemasons were blocking police reforms. The outgoing chairman of the Police Federation, Steve White, told the Guardian the society was thwarting progress of women and those from black and ethnic backgrounds. Dr Staples rejected those claims as "laughable".

He added that the handshake used by members during ceremonies is "not secret" but, when he was asked to demonstrate it to viewers of BBC Breakfast, he declined, saying he had "promised" not to.

And the York Rite? I remember the two paths....recall hearing you had to make a choice as to which to take...but it was so long ago.

You could do both but York tends to be a legit continuation of the first Three Degrees of Blue Lodge.

The Shriners I thought were part of the Masons, I liked their little cars in parades....that interested me...and they 'taxied' families from airports to hospitals to save them actual cabfare. I've never been a fraternal order of anything.. Plenty of friends have joined the Elks, Clampers, Oddfellows, Moose Lodges, American Legion, etc.. most it seems for the cheap drinks and ability to rent/borrow the hall for weddings and funerals etc.

Shirner's are a club for Masons but separate from the degrees of Masonry. You have to be a Freemason to join but not all Masons become Shriner's. It's often called the 'fun house' in mainstream masonry because they are the jokers and jesters of the Lodge. Guys that want to have fun as well as raise money for charity.

Back