What NON-POLITICAL, NON-RELIGIOUS Headlines Are You Following?

Namaste Jesus

Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai
Veteran Member
Reaction score
What headlines are you following? Latest tragedy...? Something uplifting...? Human interest or something else...? Can be anything at all, but save the political and religious stuff for the appropriate sections please. So, what headlines grab your attention today?

Last edited:
An update on the Flint Water Crisis (Legionnaires' disease linked to the water has killed several Flint residents.) Two people who were in charge are charged with involuntary manslaughter along with other charges.

I'm also keeping up with the London fire (last count was at least a dozen people dead/burned alive and almost 80 are injured.) The building didn't have either smoke detectors or fire alarms installed. I don't know whether to be :mad:, :(, or grateful that it wasn't worse (several churches and a mosque have donated their services as well as clothes for those who have lost pretty much everything.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Politics out of headlines one is following?
Can be a gray area sometimes, like what happened today at the GOP baseball practice, but anything blatantly political, Trump did this, Trump did that, should go in the Politics and Society section. Likewise one of the religious categories for anything specifically related to religion. Phyllis has the right idea in #3 above. Obviously there's going to be some crossover headlines and that's fine. I was just trying to avoid this thread becoming a sounding board for political and religious agendas.:)

The things that I follow that aren't political aren't headlines...

Following (to me) means multiple.stories, ongoing investigations, all typically surrounding political events (terrorist fears and hoopla, laws taking away rights, economic issues, environmental issues all of which are political footballs)

I guess the salamander that mates with three different species and genetically modifies by splitting the DNA coding up.and produces a female offspring with various species DNA....

Capitol Heights Teen Dances To The Beat After Heart Transplant

(BALTIMORE) -- A teenage heart transplant survivor is enjoying viral fame after he was captured on video dancing to celebrate both his heart transplant and his hospital discharge.

Amari Hall, 15, of Capitol Heights, Maryland, received a heart transplant in March at University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore.

Just six days after the transplant, he surprised everyone when he began dancing in his hospital bed.

As Amari started to dance, so did the nurses, doctor and relatives who supported him and saved his life.
http://www.wbal.com/article/245270/...een-dances-to-the-beat-after-heart-transplant

Well ... watching a minority government scrabble round to try and raise a majority ... fire in West London that is going to have serious repercussions ... the resignation of the Liberal Democrat leader who was hounded by the press over his religion ... politics is really volatile at the moment ...

Passengers on trams in Birmingham will get their on-board announcements voiced by Ozzy Osbourne (Never sure OO knows where he is, let alone where the tram is!). Shaun Ryder's doing it in Manchester, Alfie Boe in Blackpool and Miles Kane on trains in Liverpool. All part of BBC Music Day.

In the UK we have 'blue plaques' on the walls of houses marking the places where the famous lived, politicians, statespersons, scientists, artists, entertainers ... all sorts.

For BBC Music Day (Thursday 15 June) 47 new plaques wukk go up, celebrating musicians and venues. David Bowie (gets two), DJ John Peel, the Grimethorpe Colliery Band and Delia Derbyshire (composer of the Doctor Who theme) all get a plaque. Full list to be revealed.

In the UK we have 'blue plaques' on the walls of houses marking the places where the famous lived, politicians, statespersons, scientists, artists, entertainers ... all sorts.

For BBC Music Day (Thursday 15 June) 47 new plaques wukk go up, celebrating musicians and venues. David Bowie (gets two), DJ John Peel, the Grimethorpe Colliery Band and Delia Derbyshire (composer of the Doctor Who theme) all get a plaque. Full list to be revealed.
That's interesting. I should imagine lots of people would like to see where the noteworthy once hung their hats.;)

Well, I am a news junkie :rolleyes: ED
I try to avoid most of the news these days. I do enjoy the human interest stuff though.

I try to avoid most of the news these days. I do enjoy the human interest stuff though.
Truth be told I read all news headlines but frequently try to avoid the story. As it turns out the story is most often SSDD! I have been enjoying reading about T. May's forays into the guess work of UK politics. I like to giggle at our good friends in lieu of laughing at us...

Truth be told I read all news headlines but frequently try to avoid the story. As it turns out the story is most often SSDD!
LOL... when I first looked at your post, I couldn't imagine what, single sided double density diskettes had to do with anything.:D Dang, I am old. Well that and my wine glass seems to be empty... again. Oh well, same 'schnapps' different day!!:p

Yes....I was a news junkie...got the morning and evening paper as well as newsweek and time, WSJ at work, watched morning and evening news and 11 oclock....gave up at 24 for a couple decades.... turned it back on and it was SSDD... people dying that have nothing to do with my life do not need to impact my life.

Another headline/article about the London highrise fire, this time it covers one resourceful student who helped the survivors all night, took a break to sit an exam, then went right back to the highrise to help even more. The article also mentions that several students who lived in the highrise came to school in their night clothes because that was all they had.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...ll-tower-residents-all-night---then-sits-exam

I wish that I was as intelligent/wise as the young man. :oops:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Stories about the US college student's release from North Korea.

The article also mentions that several students who lived in the highrise came to school in their night clothes because that was all they had.

I wish that I was as intelligent/wise as the young man. :oops:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
Me too... night clothes? I would have had to goto class like one of my reoccuring dreams of sitting in school with no clothes on wondering how I possibly got there.

Bride & Groom Ride to Reception with Fire Dept After Wedding Bus Fire

After Maria Leonardi and Justin Stone exchanged vows inside the West Avon Congregational Church in Avon, Conn., they headed off to their reception. That's when, according to the Avon Volunteer Fire Department, the couple's bus caught fire.

"On arrival, crews found a trolley bus with an engine compartment fire. It was knocked down by a fire extinguisher the bus driver had," a statement from the fire department read.

"One of the firemen came around and asked us, 'Do you want a ride to the reception in the fire truck? We’re sorry that we can’t take the whole party, but we can take the two of you," Stone told ABC News. "We both jumped at that opportunity." ABC NEWS

Me too... night clothes? I would have had to goto class like one of my reoccuring dreams of sitting in school with no clothes on wondering how I possibly got there.

The young man didn't go to class in his nightclothes (he didn't live in the building.) What I was referring to was an observation of a teacher who has several students from the building who lost pretty much everything in the fire, including their school uniforms. The fire's being investigated (although nobody's being allowed inside due to structural fragility.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Georgia Fugitives Captured by Armed Tennessee Homeowners

170616014905-georgia-inmates-captured-exlarge-169.jpg

The inmates had run through the woods to a home on Pruitt Road, near the rural community of Christiana.

"The homeowner was alerted somehow, he looked outside and saw the suspects trying to steal his vehicle," Lt. Bill Miller from the Tennessee Highway Patrol said late Friday.

The homeowner called his neighbor and both men, each armed with a gun, confronted the fugitives. Having lost their weapons in the crash, Dubose and Rowe surrendered, authorities said.

"I can't say enough about the bravery of the homeowner, and what they took on, the wherewithal to call us and give us the information so we could get over there and apprehend these two subjects," Fitzhugh said. cnn.com

Back