Death

Sigh....:rolleyes:
The ones (passings) that get to me are those that went thru life way to quick, died way to young. It is all relative I suppose.
Getting back on topic. (Just to be different);)

I'm kind of the same way. Our next door neighbor passed about 3 months ago from complications related to pneumonia. Great guy. Easily the best neighbor we've ever had. He had just turned 80. I felt bad about his passing, but not as bad as I did when a good friend of my wife passed about a week ago at the age of 56.

I didn't know her all that well, but she was overweight and I gather smoked and drank most of her life. After suffering a heart attack, it was discovered that most of her arteries had 90% blockage, so they scheduled her for by-pass surgery. It was supposed to be a relatively routine procedure, but she ended up suffering multiple heart attacks and at least one stroke on the table and never fully regained consciousness. They kept her on life-support for almost two weeks, but eventually had to pull the plug.

Somehow, it does seem worse when someone with a lot more life ahead of them passes.:(

Last edited:
are you thinking,or are thoughts just ariseing
Same thing? It's the subject that's doing the work. Whether the thoughts come through a process of thinking, or arise 'out of the blue', it's the same mind at work?

Am I right in thinking you appear to present the idea of 'experience' or 'thought' or 'word' as objects/realities existing in their own right?

My acceptance of death as a part of life, bookends with birth... Comes off as cold and callous to some. It was my own father's death which I think was the turning point.

And now that I am almost the age my dad was when he died...and accept my inevitable demise at anytime it is worse.
Yesterday I was reminiscing about the good old days as it were and decided to look up a couple old chums I hadn't seen in quite awhile. Kind of sorry I did now, found both in memoriam on Facebook. One passing just this year and the other two years back. Sad news like that always comes as something of a shock I suppose, but I didn't expect it to hit me as hard as it did. I guess it's just that, at my time of life I have more to look back on than what lie ahead and it was like part of my cherished youth had also died or at least the realization that those days are no more. :(

I was looking at a newsfeed on Yahoo and found out that it was the 45th anniversary of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Seeing that, I "felt" my mortality "scratching" along my spine. Several of the sailors aboard were the last of their particular "branch" in their family tree (they didn't father any children before the final voyage.) Your uncle reminded me of a young man that I knew in high school who had the same kind of crutches (I never asked him why he required them since I didn't think that it was my business.)

I hope that I make it to my maternal grandmother's age (I have another 24 years to go for that milestone. :oops: ) I will always remember my dad's joke about how he was going to die: he was going to die at the age of 94 running away from a jealous husband after being caught with the man's wife (he didn't; he succumbed before his 76th birthday to complications of both diabetes and Parkinson's disease.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

...and then there was one. Just found out I'm the last surviving member of the rock band I played lead guitar in back in the 70's. Our drummer, keyboard player and now his brother, our bassist all gone say for me. Have to say though, this news didn't hit me nearly as hard as the passing of my old school chums did last month. Guess that's because our band split up many years ago and despite being a tight group on stage, we never really had any kind of relationship off. Still, kind of an odd feeling being the only one left.

...and then there was one. Just found out I'm the last surviving member of the rock band I played lead guitar in back in the 70's. Our drummer, keyboard player and now his brother, our bassist all gone say for me. Have to say though, this news didn't hit me nearly as hard as the passing of my old school chums did last month. Guess that's because our band split up many years ago and despite being a tight group on stage, we never really had any kind of relationship off. Still, kind of an odd feeling being the only one left.
What was the name of your band?

Is this your band?

No, the band I was in, 100 Proof was formed in the US around '73. 100% Proof is a Christian rock band out of the UK formed some years after. We played sort of a bluesy, acid rock mix, not unlike Steppenwolf. Covered a lot of their tunes actually. There was also a R&B band in the 60's by the same name.

Maybe I should do a short write-up in the lounge section about my days as a rock star wannabe.

No, the band I was in, 100 Proof was formed in the US around '73. 100% Proof is a Christian rock band out of the UK formed some years after. We played sort of a bluesy, acid rock mix, not unlike Steppenwolf. Covered a lot of their tunes actually. There was also a R&B band in the 60's by the same name.

Maybe I should do a short write-up in the lounge section about my days as a rock star wannabe.
Oh yes. You must. Yah, I sort of realized they were English and you were not. The name '100 Proof' has been used by other bands too. Apart from the classic 'Born to be Wild' it's hard to remember anything else major by Steppenwolf?

Last edited:
Back