Questions for class....

Looking2Learn

Reaction score
I am currently taking a World Religions class and we have to interview people different religions that we are studying. I only need you to answer a few questions. I love learning about other cultures and faiths, so this is a totally judgment-free zone, I am only looking to learn! Please help me not fail my class by answering as many of the below questions as you are comfortable with. Or feel free to talk about something that is not on the list. I only have to write 250 words about the interview, so short or long answers are up to you. Thank you in advance!!

1) Did you convert, or did you grow up in your current faith?

2) Who has inspired/ motivated you the most in your faith?

3) What is the most important part of your religion to you? (prayer, mediations, good works, etc)

4) What is your favorite memory associated with your religion?

5) What is your favorite holiday that stems from the religion?

6) If you will have/already had children, will you raise them in the faith too?

7) What is the common portrayal of your faith? Do you think it is accurate?

8) What do you wish more people knew about your religion?

9) What is the most troubling part about it? The most rewarding?

10) How has it impacted the past/how you look at the future?

11) What is one thing you would like a non-practicer of your faith to understand?

When my kid had world religions he visited temples. Mosques, synagogues etc and met with kids this age, attended services and asked the required questions and more....

I believe you'd get more benefit by adding something similar to your carpet bomb research method.

Grew up in it.

My parents.

3) What is the most important part of your religion to you? (prayer, meditations, good works, etc)
That the religion is a pervasive way of living and way of life. Though the individual elements are useful, they are all just signs pointing to one, all encompassing system.

Those few moments that I have been able to lose myself in prayer -- totally lose track of where I am or when it is. Just BE with the feeling of connectedness.

The sabbath. A time to unconnect with one world and reconnect with another, every week.

yes

The common portrayal is either the Reform justice warrior or the Eastern European ultra-Orthodox bearded man. Neither is accurate. Secondarily (especially in 1970's TV) was the morally centered sage or the nasal nebish. Ugh.

That it is comprehensive but doesn't turn adherents into automatons.

Religious law does take some very strict stands on controversial subjects, but it also teaches us to think and consider alternatives.

It defines me. It impacts every decision I make.

11) What is one thing you would like a non-practicer of your faith to understand?
That belief is counter-intuitive and ritual looks silly. We know this, but we do it because it has meaning.

Grew up in it.

My parents.

That the religion is a pervasive way of living and way of life. Though the individual elements are useful, they are all just signs pointing to one, all encompassing system.

Those few moments that I have been able to lose myself in prayer -- totally lose track of where I am or when it is. Just BE with the feeling of connectedness.

The sabbath. A time to unconnect with one world and reconnect with another, every week.

yes

The common portrayal is either the Reform justice warrior or the Eastern European ultra-Orthodox bearded man. Neither is accurate. Secondarily (especially in 1970's TV) was the morally centered sage or the nasal nebish. Ugh.

That it is comprehensive but doesn't turn adherents into automatons.

Religious law does take some very strict stands on controversial subjects, but it also teaches us to think and consider alternatives.

It defines me. It impacts every decision I make.

That belief is counter-intuitive and ritual looks silly. We know this, but we do it because it has meaning.

Thank you so so much! I appreciate your honest answers, you have no idea how much hate and trolling I have gotten from others on other websites about just a few questions.
I really liked the way you described how the rituals actually push you to think of new things and how they are imbued with meaning for you. Your description of feeling connectedness is beautiful. With just a few short answers you not only helped me with class but really gave me a glimpse into something that is so important to you and showed the feelings that stereotypes would never cover. I really, really appreciate your time! Thank you again!

When my kid had world religions he visited temples. Mosques, synagogues etc and met with kids this age, attended services and asked the required questions and more....

I believe you'd get more benefit by adding something similar to your carpet bomb research method.

Thank you for your concern, I wholeheartedly agree. I have already visited a Thai Buddhist temple and a mosque in Amman, Jordan. Also, I will be visiting a Jewish synagogue and another mosque next week. However, we need to have multiple interviews a week and as a full-time college student who also works full-time, some weeks seem to fly by and getting the interviews done are hard. That is why I went to the Internet this week. Also, I like to see the differences of peoples responses when it’s just them and the computer, and not face to face. Little things like that fascinate me.

Last edited:
Good on ya! With the visual and auditory experience, seeing the ritual and discussing with folks will be so rewarding.

I was just being upfront as we've seen these assignments before... And many don't even seem to hang around for answers...

Lol, we might ought to write a page with all the responses for students to happily cut and paste

Good on ya! With the visual and auditory experience, seeing the ritual and discussing with folks will be so rewarding.

I was just being upfront as we've seen these assignments before... And many don't even seem to hang around for answers...

Lol, we might ought to write a page with all the responses for students to happily cut and paste

Ah man, that is a shame, but I could see some of my peers doing that honestly. I did not mean to come across as disrespectful with these questions but can see the harm in doing them haphazardly. I think students these days just look to the internet for immediate answers and leave when they have to be patient. Haha, that almost sounds like a good idea lol

So what was your interest in world religions? Just an elective to get out of the way?

Btw, I picked this thread to respond as I don't think we have any taoist to answers you right now...

But how about you responding to your questions?

So what was your interest in world religions? Just an elective to get out of the way?

Btw, I picked this thread to respond as I don't think we have any taoist to answers you right now...

But how about you responding to your questions?

The class is an elective, but I hope not to view it as something to be tossed aside. I have always loved learning about other cultures and want to travel a lot. I have found religion to often be synonymous with culture and think a great way to know one is to know the other. I go to a Christian, private University and often times the goal of leaning is to debunk the other person. While apologetics is important, I believe there is a time and place for everything. I wanted to learn from the approach of just sitting back and listening about other religions, not picking them apart.

I thought as much with the Taoists, yet it’s why I posted it here too. I know several people from several faith backgrounds but cannot recall running into to Taoist. I know nothing about them and was hoping for a response, but see that there are not many on here.

I can absolutely respond (I come from a Protestant Christian faith):
I grew up in a Christian household and around Church, but I have really grown in my faith as I have gotten older and can say that it is my own, not my parents

I don’t have just one person; it’s more the community of believers I run across. We have many nights of fellowship at my hometown church and often everyone shares his or her testimonies. Hearing about their strength and seeing how far God has carried them is very inspiring.

3) What is the most important part of your religion to you? (prayer, mediations, good works, etc)
I think of my faith as a relationship, so I would probably say prayer. To be able to come to the one that created the universe and know He is listening is something that I honestly take for granted. Through prayer, I have been able to sort out some tough times/thoughts and I do not know where I would be if I did not have someone guiding me

I have too many fond memories of Christmas and Easter to count. But, the most impactful was my time overseas on a mission trip. Every day felt like I was finally helping something greater than myself. While there, I felt the presence of God like I had never felt before.

I can never decide between Christmas and Easter. Christmas is just a lovely time of year and the fact that Jesus came down to us is pretty great, but there is just something refreshing about Easter and the promise of new life that it holds.

I am a long way from children, but I hope to raise them in the love of the Lord and hope that they continue their walk with Him, even in adulthood.

In media, we are the bumbling crazy ones that don’t know what we are talking about and are often narrow-minded. Like anything, there are a lot of crazies, but there are more good people than bad. I have yet to see a popular portal of a Christian in media that is accurate, but I hope that will change.

I wish they saw past the broken, hate-filled people that may turn them away and instead see that Jesus is full of love and compassion. Kinda like the aforementioned question, people just see the crazy ones. They see all the “do not’s”. But I wish they saw the freedom as well.

This may be true of other religions, but it can be troubling to not see the thing you pray too and live your life for. I see many peers struggle with doubt and it feels too cliché to say “Just believe” or something like that. But, when we realize that it is okay to have doubts, and then move on from them, it is rewarding to see someone with a fiery passion for God. The love that exudes from them is contagious and seeing others be brought to Christ is very rewarding. When I was younger, my dad would say when someone accepted Jesus into their hearts that “The angles were having a party in heaven” and I have kept that image with me and feel like having a party myself when someone becomes a Christian.

Without writing a book about my testimony, it was only through God that I was able to come through some hard times and looking back I can see His hand guiding me to were I come today. It impacts me every day and challenges me to change the way I look to the future. I am a planner and a worrier. Knowing that God has control of the future can be both frustrating and relieving.

I think it is easy to say “running to a higher power is a cop out”, but I would argue against that. I think it takes a lot of strength to admit you cannot do something on your own and to give up your life in trust to someone else. I have personally never regretted that decision. I would love a non-Christian to know the sweet, overwhelming Love of Jesus and to just know that He cares for them.

I feel that it was great that you answered your own questions so honestly. All the respect to you.
I would love to help you with your assignment, but I'm a pesky agnostic without religion so we are out of luck.

wil, it's called a quantitative study and very useful for acquiring specific information. Don't be rude!

Thank you for the offer to help anyway; it really is the thought that counts!
Haha, I haven't taken wil as rude yet, he brings up valid points, but I appreciate the support nonetheless.

Thank you for the offer to help anyway; it really is the thought that counts!
Haha, I haven't taken wil as rude yet, he brings up valid points, but I appreciate the support nonetheless.
Oh, good!
I'm not so much defending you as going after wil, it is my calling in virtual-life.

No problem -- if you have any other questions that are specific to Judaism, please feel free to ask.

I feel that it was great that you answered your own questions so honestly. All the respect to you.
I would love to help you with your assignment, but I'm a pesky agnostic without religion so we are out of luck.

wil, it's called a quantitative study and very useful for acquiring specific information. Don't be rude!

Oh come on you pesky agnostic...how about you answer the questions....when one studies world religions one should get some insight from the world irreligious, nonreligious, postreligious whate ver... And don't mind ACOT... he tries to soothe my cantankerous side... I am not quite a bull in the china shop...but more like a happy dog with stiff tail knocking the tea cups over....or some would say more like his counterpart...a naive kid with a stick just swinging his way thru life...

But you sir(or mam) have passed! By far the best student researcher we've seen come thru here....now we just need to rally our Buddhists, Muslms, Hindus et al to stand up and give you a hand!

And are you in Jordan? What is the life of a Christian like in the middle east?

Rosends, If I may, what perspective do your answers/experiences come from Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, Reconstruction, Renewal?

how about you answer the questions
I considered it, but that's the trouble with quantitative data, non of the questions are applicable to me. They might come back for another round for us fence-sitters.

And are you in Jordan? What is the life of a Christian like in the middle east?
Come on, they must be American, look at their English. Jordan was probably where they did their missionary work?

Rosends, If I may, what perspective do your answers/experiences come from Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, Reconstruction, Renewal?
I am Orthodox. Mostly a bit to the right of Modern but no where near yeshivish. I'm a complex tapestry...

Back