Big Love! (Atheist mystic)
- Reaction score
Listening to this, thought it would interest this august forum
From the blurb:
From the blurb:
- Questioning whether higher consciousness and ethical behavior are tightly correlated.
- The founding of the Association of Professional Spiritual Teachers.
- The attempt to formulate a code of ethics that might applyuniversally in the contemporary spiritual community and enliven anunderstanding of what may or may not be appropriate, giving students greaterconfidence in their own discernment and discrimination.
- Ancient traditions held the teacher beyond reproach andstudents surrendered their own will. This may have worked in monastic settingsbut generally does not work today.
- Preventative support so we’re not busy doing cleanup.
- Power hierarchies should not be an essential part ofspiritual development and can lead to abuses.
- Spiritual awakening does not necessarily qualify a person tooffer advice on relationships, finances, etc.
- Ethical training of some sort is integral to most honoredtraditions.
- The issue of sexism and patriarchy in spiritualorganizations.
- Entering the teaching profession prematurely.
- All too often, when teachers are challenged on theirbehavior, they ignore the challenger or become defensive.
- How do we offer the possibility for redemption and atonement?
- Moving away from a culture of competition to one ofcooperation.
- The importance of humility.
- The importance of teachers not identifying with their roleand thinking that students’ devotion is about them.
- South Africa’s “Truth and Reconciliation” as a model.