1 Cor. 3.18

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by KnowSelf, Feb 9, 2020.

1. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Let no man deceive himself, if any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

Any thoughts on what this Bible verse means?

2. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

Spiritual pride? Holier than thou? The one who teaches/preaches/makes long speeches?

Craz likes this.
  3. RJM Corbet

The Unperceived World Of Thought
    "We are accustomed to perceiving and responding primarily to gross manifestations that can be picked up by the senses. For the most part we remain unaware of the subtle forces around us. Yet every thought we think sets up a particular subtle vibration.

Do you know that because of this you can't hide from others what you really are? If you have done wrong, you know it. Even though you think you may be hiding it, the consciousness of having done wrong is present in your thoughts.

People will find you out, because those thought vibrations will be reflected in some way in your behaviour. The same of course is true of good thoughts. When you mentally utter the word “God,” and keep on repeating that thought within, it sets up a vibration that invokes the presence of God.”

Yogananda Paramahansa
    First Self-Realization Fellowship Temple
    Encitas, California, August 28 1938
    'The Divine Romance'
    Volume 2

Sorry, I just read that and thought it was worth sharing, in relation to nothing much ...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Beautiful and KnowSelf like this.
  4. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Are you looking to find out what a Bible verse means by itself? Not in context with the verse before it or the verse after it? Not looking at who the author is and who the author is writing to?

Thomas likes this.
  5. Beautiful

Beautiful Active Member

It is saying that we are all fools. This is what the wise of all times and ages have come to know. The Jester, The Fool. This is the first levels of cosmic consciousness. First level of realization of what the world is. The person who laughs at the cosmic joke is wise indeed.

6. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

If you want to know
    My apologies dear friend for assuming any interested party would make an effort to look up the bible passage rather than complain

7. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

A not unreasonable inquiry seeking clarification responded to with a dismissive put down. How adult of you.

8. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

I cannot determine if your statement is praise or sarcasm, if sarcasm I bow before you in jest. If otherwise you choose

9. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Lol, I looked it up, I read the passages above and below...hence the three questions in the inquiry for clarification.

But if asking a question is regarded as complaining...this is the kind of church I don't participate.

10. RJM Corbet

Paul
    The Corinthians
    What do you think it means, by the way?
    What do you think the passage means?

11. RJM Corbet

Most of the Beatitudes are not worldly wise: Blessed are the poor, the hungry, the meek, etc?

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight."
    1 Corinthians 3:19

12. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

As an overview, this is Paul with his 'angry' hat on, dealing with political infighting within the Corinth community.

RJM Corbet likes this.
  13. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Worldly issues...wise fools...lol prosperity gospel notions...

Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?

So then, no more boasting about human leaders! All things are yours, whether... life or death or the present or the future..—all are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.

KnowSelf likes this.
  14. KnowSelf

KnowSelf Active Member

Wil I am a hypocrite and did you a great disservice as a representative Christian faith. I am a hypocrite because I did not have patience to provide a. detail description of the presented scripture. Thank you for my discourse and hopefully I will consider my actions more thoroughly before jumping to conclusions.

I agree all things are ours, but in today's society the things we have are only ours by default.

15. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Lol, there are many (off including myself) that would Not refer to me as a Christian. I like Christ, I like the Bible, but me and many Christians often disagree.

16. Courage

Courage Member

This happens in reality all the times. The wise on earth think that humans need evidence to get to a truth. But in reality humans only need faith to get to a truth, even in terms of science. That's how 99% humans who know for a fact that black holes exist don't actually have the evidence. To simply put they don't rely on evidence to get to such a piece of truth. It's only the very limited number of scientists who studied black holes have the direct evidence. The rest of humans have faith (in the testimonies of the scientists). At least the majority don't need evidence, they already know the fact long before any evidence being presented.

The wise are fools to think otherwise.

Beautiful likes this.
  17. Beautiful

Beautiful Active Member

A fool who knows his foolishness is wise at least to that extent, but a fool who thinks himself wise is a fool indeed.

18. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Active Member

It's difficult to know if you're a fool.. even if you are NOT a fool o_O

19. OrtaYol

OrtaYol Active Member

I think it's pretty much the same as Plato's Socrates. "I know that I know nothing".