How Can We Attract New Members...?

Did anyone eat that as a kid? Spam fritters ... remember them?
I ate Spam. Nothing in a form called fritters, but just fried spam.
I also have a friend who loves spam to this day. I haven't had it in awhile.

I was surprised when I saw it on a supermarket shelf! I used to take my mum shopping, and she bought corned beef.

There's nothing wrong with it – just the associations with UK wartime and post-war rationing.

If you knew what Spam is made from you might not make this statement...

...but this is true of processed foods in general these days.
I meant corned beef ... but on reflection (and as I have no real idea) I will agree with you.

And processed foods ... why don't conspiracy theorists get hold of that and run with it!

(Or do they ...?)

What? You don't like spam??
I'll have your spam .. I'm having spam for dinner, and spam for supper.
Spam, spam, spam, wonderful spam .. :D
Spam can be tasty, but surely non halal
(not to make assumptions, I have no idea whether you follow halal dietary requirements at all)

How did it come to mean internet junk-mail?

How did it come to mean internet junk-mail?

Referenced from Merriam Webster online dictionary:

Spam
is actually a trade name for the cooked, canned meat product that Hormel Foods has been making since 1937 (the name comes from "SPiced Ham"). Shelf-stable and packaged in a sturdy tin, Spam was included as part of the rations sent to soldiers in World War II. Since then, Spam has enjoyed some measure of popularity (or infamy, depending on your feelings regarding cooked, canned meat products), appearing in stores and menus around the world.

That near ubiquity was the pivot that allowed the word spam to go from referring to canned meat to canned mail. Back in 1970, an episode of the famed British comedy show Monty Python's Flying Circus aired a sketch featuring Vikings enthusiastically chanting the name of their favorite cooked, canned meat product:

Fast forward to the 1990s, where the unrelenting solicitations that popped up on Usenet reminded early Internet users of the Viking song in that sketch. In 1994, the publication Network World described unwanted solicitations on Usenet groups as a "spam attack," thereby introducing the annoying electronic type of spam to a broader audience.

What? You don't like spam??
I'll have your spam .. I'm having spam for dinner, and spam for supper.
Spam, spam, spam, wonderful spam .. :D
Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce served in a Provençale manner with shallots and aubergines, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top and Spam.

Last edited:
Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce served in a Provençale manner with shallots and aubergines, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top and Spam.
I'd rather just have the spam

Maybe a nice Spam breakfast, lunch, or dinner will help us attract new members. 😋

Maybe a nice Spam breakfast, lunch, or dinner will help us attract new members. 😋
@wil was suggesting some kind of online get-together a while ago.

So why not an online interfaith brunch kind of thing?

If there's interest, maybe we can pull it off withing the next year even!

Well, there goes the Jewish contingent...and the Muslims...
And some minority branches of Christianity... and probably many within Hinduism
It's starting to sound more like how can we drive new members away :confused:
If they think they're going to get "spam" they may be thinking in horror of in any of its forms, meaty or electronic.
:confused:

Back