Do You Believe?

Discussion in 'Yoga' started by Krisha Mitra Das, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Krisha Mitra Das

Krisha Mitra Das Ethical Vegan Yogini

I just watched a beautiful, beautiful Christian faith film called, “Do You Believe?” (2015)

The theme of it shows people who decided to not just believe in God, but also put into practice Jesus' teachings in actions as Jesus says: “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."

It showed people in different stories that later intertwined with the others. It's also quite the tearjerker, and extremely well made. The actors were brilliant and each portrayed characters you really cared about.

Well known actors are in the film: Sean Astin, Mira Sorvino, Lee Majors, Cybil Shepherd, Ted McGinley, Brian Bosworth.

When people really, truly stand by their faith, it can be very challenging. I won't give it all away, but not everyone had happy endings but the ones that didn't, they never regretted what they did in their actions toward others as they stood firm in their faith, not just in belief, but in action as well.

I plan on looking at my Yoga beliefs (yamas and niyamas) very carefully, very mindfully again and checking myself making sure I am truly, faithfully doing in action what I believe. Where I can do better and not just look at the tenets in a shallow way, but in a deep, committed way. Like not stealing doesn't mean just not robbing people; it also means not stealing time from work—taking longer breaks than one should for instance. Looking at things in a deeper, more discerning way.

I am so glad I saw this film.

2. Namaste Jesus

Namaste Jesus Praise the Lord and Enjoy the Chai Moderator

I've not seen the film, but to answer your question, yes! For me, belief and faith in God is far more important than how one goes about practicing that faith, by what name they call God or what traditions they may follow.

I'm born and raised Christian, while my wife is a native born Hindu. Our religious upbringing was quite different, yet we both view faith in exactly the same way. Over the years, 32 and counting, the lines between our two faiths has become quite blurred, with my in-laws often referring to me as a Hindu devote of Christ.

Krisha Mitra Das likes this.
  3. Miken

Miken Well-Known Member

The ‘love your enemies’ quote and related thoughts are found in the Gospel of Matthew. In that Gospel, Matthew stresses the need for righteous action as the essential feature of righteousness.

In Matthew, when Jesus is asked how one is to act, he replies not to murder, not to steal, not to lie, not to commit adultery, to honor your parents and … drum roll … love your neighbor as yourself. That covers a lot of territory.

In the story of the Sheep and the Goats., it is made clear that loving your neighbor means action. Matthew records Jesus as saying that those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and those in prison, will be rewarded in the end and those who do not will be punished.

And in all of these passages, Jesus never mentions belief in a particular system of faith as a requirement. In fact, in the passage where Jesus mentions ‘do not murder’ and so forth, he states that these commandments come from God, not from him.

RJM and Krisha Mitra Das like this.