Is Islam a myth?

Discussion in 'Ancient History and Mythology' started by muhammad_isa, Jan 27, 2021.

1. muhammad_isa

muhammad_isa Save Our Souls

Huh? I said "even though what the Arabs tell us is the truth, is practically the same as what the Jews believe."

I can't see why you thought I was referring to Jesus.
    Obviously, most people know that the majority of Jews reject Jesus.
    Do you really think that I'm that daft? :) [ no answer required ]

Jews certainly do not believe that Jesus is God or that God has 3 parts.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  2. muhammad_isa

Meaning what exactly?
    By the very nature of this thread, I'm defending the truth of the Qur'an against .. well, as many disbelievers who want
    to participate.
    I don't see anything wrong with this type of debate.

You might see it as "a slanging match", with people feeling insulted etc.
    It seems that people don't want to connect truth with rationality.
    They want to make faith an arbitary one of their choosing.

People are free to think what they like, as am I. I am not making personal comments.
    I'm arguing against the theology .. the methodology.

Perhaps you think that such a debate is not suitable for an Interfaith forum.
    Perhaps you think that we should just pay each other "lip-service" and that our respective religions "belong" to the individual.
    In the same way, you bring up proselytizing.

I don't see you having debates. You just make the occasional comment.
    I agree with Tone .. people often bring up this rule in order to silence people whom they don't agree with.

3. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Staff Member

At school, we studied a play by German writer Lessing, once. Back then, I thought it was kind of dull and old-fashioned, but this thread reminds me of its continued relevance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_the_Wise

To sum up the play for you: Have you considered that none of us in here is in possession of the ultimate truth? And that by sharing what understanding of it we do have, we all approach it together? And that the things we bicker about might not even be true?

4. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

@RabbiO is talking about the tone of the debate. He is quite right. Where I've been guilty I do apologise. We're supposed to be gentlemen and adults here. Please report posts that do not meet IO standards, regardless of the author

5. muhammad_isa

It's inevitable, that some people will feel as if their faith is being threatened or mocked when another person
    attacks the theology of the trinity, regardless of whether that person is a Christian, Muslim, Jew or atheist.

If somebody insists that God is a trinity, then that is their belief. If a person believes that our beliefs
    don't need to be rational, then that is their belief. If a person feels insulted by somebody who thinks otherwise,
    I wonder why that is? If they are so sure about it, then they should feel sorry for the person who doesn't believe as they do.

It is not disrespectful to have a rational debate about any topic. It only becomes disrespectful
    when people make personal comments. I sometimes give replies to posts in a light-hearted manner.
    My intention isn't one of making fun .. it is designed to lighten the tone.
    I'm sorry if anybody takes it personally.

Cino likes this.
  6. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

Would like to direct attention to this essay by @SchorlarlySeeker
    https://www.interfaith.org/community/threads/19624/#post-341788

The blue emphasis here is mine:

7. ScholarlySeeker

ScholarlySeeker Active Member

Well, it depends on which group of Jews are being discussed. There are Messianic Jews these days who do believe in Jesus after all. If we are talking Orthodox, then sure. But there are many different groups of Jews though not as many as Christians. I'm not arguing, just noting the historical circumstance of today.