Your least favorite scripture passage

I don't know about passage, but I must admit I'd probably not shed a tear if the Book of Revelations was removed from the New Testament.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"
I don't know about passage, but I must admit I'd probably not shed a tear if the Book of Revelations was removed from the New Testament.
It's from Aleister Crowley 'The Book of the Law'

It makes me think of schoolchildren left free to scrawl in crayon on the classroom walls, until realization deepens that night's approaching, they're getting hungry, and Mum and Dad and teacher really aren't going to come?

Last edited:
It's from Aleister Crowley 'The Book of the Law'

It makes me think of schoolchildren left free to scrawl in crayon on the classroom walls, until realization deepens that night's approaching, they're getting hungry, and Mum and Dad and teacher really aren't going to come?

In all fairness, what you are caricaturing is the trivial understanding of the so-called "Law of Thelema". But people have been able to get deeper insights from it. For example, who is even addressed, who is the "Thou" in that verse? How would not keeping this one commandment even look like? And so on.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Thelemite, but I have been assured by people I respect that it goes deeper than "do whatever you like".

But this thread was not intended to be about leas favorite "other religions'" scripture, but our own. I should have been more explicit in the O.P.

Reactions: RJM
In all fairness, what you are caricaturing is the trivial understanding of the so-called "Law of Thelema". But people have been able to get deeper insights from it. For example, who is even addressed, who is the "Thou" in that verse? How would not keeping this one commandment even look like? And so on.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Thelemite, but I have been assured by people I respect that it goes deeper than "do whatever you like".

But this thread was not intended to be about leas favorite "other religions'" scripture, but our own. I should have been more explicit in the O.P.
Sorry. Yes. I was being a bit facetious. I do understand: Whatever you do, will bring you to God, eventually. It's a rebellion against Victorian values implied. Crowley was a creature of his time?

Last edited:
Even though I am Mahayana, there are quite a few Mahayana scriptures out there that I find rather dubious.

SG, good to see you back here again. I trust you are doing well, both spiritually and physically (I have come to realize of late that our health is very important).

Last edited:
I'm feeling like a heel at the moment because after scrolling through this thread (SG drew my attention here), I missed a couple of posts from my absolute favorite scholar here on interfaith, Sufi Philosophy. :( Sufi's stuff is so information-packed that it takes me awhile to sort through it, but it always shines like a gem embedded in the dirt of babble. Sufi, I apologize profusely, but now that I have found it I will study it very diligently. I am dense compared to you true scholars, but I try. (hitting self on head)

From what l gather it is not condemned in the Bible.
Nor is it even possible. A man literally blind drunk, to be able to sexually perform?
Twice?
And each time, to initiate a successful pregnancy?
It doesn't seem fact to begin with, so l personally wouldn't try to justify it post fact. But yeah, the Bible doesn't condemn it. If you inject meaning into it, and inject hard, then you might find condemnation, but if you go by the text, there is none. Sorry.

By the way you'll notice l refrain from even repeating the story using that prophet's name as l believe l will have to face him one day if l do, and that would be very grave.

Dear Sufi, you have created somewhat of a mystery here in refraining from mentioning the prophet's name. However, using Wil's tried and true formula (see post #18) I seek to explore it further. I do feel that you have done a very good thing, in not mentioning the prophet's name, nevertheless I have somewhat against you.

In bringing this exchange to the light of day you have exposed us to the errant path of Pinto, whose writings would have perhaps been better served if they were allowed to find a final resting place atop the scrapheap of infamy on their own; that is to say, allowed to pass away naturally from lack of utility. In mentioning them here you merely keep them alive. :(

But that's okay, your heart was in a good place and your infraction was minor. Now I could insert practically any name to fill in the blank, even my own, God forbid. I had rather insert love there (as per Wil's usual methodology) but this particular spot requires that a named person fill it. It is my belief that your punishment would not be particularly severe, but stern enough to be remembered. No punishment seems pleasant at first, but soon it yields the peaceable fruits of righteousness in those who have been exercised thereby. Humility, love, spiritual warmth, to name a few.

I'm sorry Sufi, this hurts me more than it hurts you. :( I might soon regret my harshness here and delete it the whole thing, because as I've said before, I think you are great, and this minor affair hasn't changed that. Nay, my respect for you only grows. :(

Last edited:
you have created somewhat of a mystery here in refraining from mentioning the prophet's name.
He is talking about Lot in the context of Lot's daughters and the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. He is considered a prophet by the Quran

I have not read it, but the worst of Hindu thought is in Garuda Purana which describes the punishment of sins in hell, and how one can escape that (by charity). That is what I presume. Since I am an atheist, that does not interest me. However, there could be a few verses of wisdom also. Garuda Purana is recited in death ceremonies.

I have not read it, but the worst of Hindu thought is in Garuda Purana which describes the punishment of sins in hell, and how one can escape that (by charity). That is what I presume. Since I am an atheist, that does not interest me. However, there could be a few verses of wisdom also. Garuda Purana is recited in death ceremonies.

Yes Aup. As we often quote in the Christian tradition, "charity covereth a multitude of sins". Death, particularly sacrificial death, is a sacred thing. Juan and I both like the Native American saying "Today is a good day to die". I had much rather go out on my feet (through sacrificial love) than on my back (locked in self-centeredness). We all gonna get there, just some of us a little sooner than others.

Back