What is something you admire or appreciate?

Sure. Haven't you ever been to a dentist?
Perhaps it wouldn't be the best of all possible worlds?
My son-in-law is a dentist and so is my granddaughter. She recently got a grant of Rs. 10,000 to improve her design for a special Coronavirus face-mask. She is doing her Masters, and for me proudly, has stood first in her first year. What about teeth which will never deteriorate? No dentist required.
Why would 'greater good' in the first instant would not be the best of all possible worlds?

Last edited:
Yeah, I see no reason why your Allah or God did not make the world like one in fairy tale.
Most religions are not about this world, although believers are encouraged to do what they can to make the material world a better place for others.

Most religions treat this world as a learning ground for the soul and tell believers not to get caught up in the desire for material things.

I know I am a better kind of person now in the later part of my life than I was before; I consider others more, and so on. Life in the world has educated my inner being. Faith has helped me understand the purpose of life in this world. Fortunately for me God has been actual presence. The Divine assistance and small daily miracles/benefits are for me the essence of life

Last edited:
The way I see it, this world can never be a perfect world, simply because of the nature of finitude and contingency.

Once that is accepted, questions of evil, etc., find their proper place.

Reactions: RJM
The way I see it, this world can never be a perfect world, simply because of the nature of finitude and contingency.

Once that is accepted, questions of evil, etc., find their proper place.
This dimension of nature may be one of many states we encounter on our soul journey?

Hi, @RJM — really interesting question.

I'd like to work up some notes based on the metaphysics as set forth by René Guénon, with regard to 'the self' ... based on two key works: Man and His Becoming According to the Vedanta and The Multiple States of Being. As a side-note, a work entitled The Symbolism of the Cross forms a kind of blueprint along which his later writings developed.

Two key elements that have imprinted themselves on me are:
1] "The 'Self' is the transcendent and permanent principle of which the human state is only a transient and contingent modification.

2] "The Self" is not thereby affected, precisely because this process is only relative ... not a development at all, except from the point of view of manifestation, outside of which there is no question of succession, but only of perfect simultaneity, so that even what is virtual under one aspect, is found nevertheless to be realized in the 'eternal present'."
(Drawn from Man and His Becoming)

What strikes me is this idea of succession and simultaneity – something that is metaphysically undeniable, but is ignored by almost every exposition of a religious metaphysic. Its impact and meaning with regard to the distortion of the reality of 'hell' or 'reincarnation' that exists in the mind do so from the standpoint of setting out the other states of being according to our current state of ephemeral contingency, rather than the eternal and immutable.

The necessity of such the Buddhist refers to as an upaya ('an expedient means') and the Christian as 'pastoral care' — simply because most people are not metaphysicians, and need easier and more graphic concepts to grasp.

Well, I do not care about life. I have lived my life as circumstances permitted, sometimes harsh, sometimes sweet. I do not have any money, not even one Indian rupee (USD 0.013). I have passed it on to my son.
Yes money was so important. Now with God's grace I've all the material essentials and more, I just keep most of it for my daughter who has more use for it than I do

I appreciate the innate desire of the human being to get to know himself and his constant quest to discover his spiritual purpose.

Reactions: RJM
Back