Death is an illusion

Thanks for posting this, @wil.

In my understanding, he's not far off.

My mind and body will expire, but I, in my true nature, am immortal.

My friend, @Aupmanyav, will likely agree with this, albeit not for the same reasons. He's not a proponent of "pure consciousness." I, however, have experienced that we are that.

Tat tvam asi. ;)

My friend, @Aupmanyav, will likely agree with this, albeit not for the same reasons. He's not a proponent of "pure consciousness." I, however, have experienced that we are that. Tat tvam asi.
Yeah, I do not agree with the theory of "pure consciousness". We are atoms and molecules, we were that before our birth and will be that even after our death. We do not have the wherewithal to see this but we can understand this. It is a matter of understanding. No atom or molecule will carry our consciousness beyond death. However what constitutes us, 'physical energy' is conscious in its own way and there is interaction between the four forces and gravity (till we find the ToE).
This has been very well known to Hindu philosophers for thousands of years. Mandukya Upanishad (one of the main old Upanishads, Mukhya Upanishad) said: 'Sarvam Khalu Idam Brahma' (All thing here are Brahman), Sankara said: 'Brahma satyam, jagan mithya ..' (Brahman (alone) is truth, the observed is an illusion ..)'.

Last edited:
I agree with him that consciousness creates reality, not the other way around.

The 'many worlds' interpretation implies that there are infinite different universes out there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
I will put it another way, RJM - Consciousness creates the illusion (maya).
Mind processes the fractional information provided by our senses and creates an image.
I would not touch 'many worlds' at present, because it is generally not accepted by science. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation#Reception

Last edited:
The 'many worlds' interpretation implies that there are infinite different universes out there.
I'd say there are many right here!

'Same planet, different world', I know it's the wrong way round, but it makes more sense to me that way.

Reactions: RJM
That makes sense to me ... but then I might be deluded!

I think that we are all "deluded" .
What does a child know about "reality" when it first opens its eyes?

eg. Does it know whether it sees everything the right way up or upside down :D

Hence our picture of "reality" is a learnt one.
..not only do our physical senses delude us, but so do our complicated minds.

We are atoms and molecules, we were that before our birth and will be that even after our death.
What? Where? How?

My old thought is that I became atoms and molecules by the sperm going into the egg and then was created from the food my mother ate.

Is that what you are saying? Or something else?

What? Where? How?
My old thought is that I became atoms and molecules by the sperm going into the egg and then was created from the food my mother ate.
Is that what you are saying? Or something else?
:) Something else. The sperm as well as the ovum were made up of molecules and so also was the womb. We start as molecules and we end as molecules. We are Wil or Aupmanyav (only) in the interregnum. Krishna said:

"avyaktādīni bhūtāni, vyakta-madhyāni bhārata;
avyakta-nidhanāny eva, tatra kā paridevanā?"

https://vedabase.io/en/library/bg/2/28/

All things are unmanifest in their beginning, manifest in their interim state, O Scion of Bharata clan (Arjuna), and unmanifest again when annihilated. So what need is there for lamentation? :D

avyakta = unmanifested, ādi = beginning, vyakta = manifested, madhyani = interim, nidhan = end, parivedana = lamentation

Last edited:
Reactions: wil
Back