Where would you most like to live?

brian

Administrator
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Here's a general question for all - if you had the choice of location, where would you most ideally live, and why?

For myself, living on an inner city estate and surrounded by flat agricultural land, I yearn for forested mountains and wilderness lakes. Scotland is a primary choice due to the familiarity. But for the actual wilderness element I guess Canada also has to be a serious contender. I'm not a sun-loving person so I don't mind if it gets cold. :)

Must admit, I'm quite happy where I am in Cambridgeshire -- right on the edge of the Fens, with their wide open spaces and big skies. :)

Hey, who wouldn't like to be surrounded by mountain lakes and lush forests? But the grass is always greener on the other side. It's all about accepting what you have, isn't it?

In my fantasies, I live in a house on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean with a path to the beach below and mountains behind. Ideally, there would be a city with a good symphony and good theater close, but not too close (not to mention the money for all this).

I've got an affinity for wild and untamed places, and mountains and sea speak to my soul. Right now, I'm privileged to live where as I type, the sun is rising over a wooded valley which looks like it's some distance from anywhere. On the other hand, that good symphony I mentioned is 7 miles away. (The money is somewhat further off).

CJ

And I'm quite happy here in southern Maine. I'm 12 miles from the ocean, and about 15 from the White Mountains on the New Hampshire border. I live on three-and-some acres, most of it wooded, with house-sized boulders everywhere. Right across the dirt road leading to and bounding our property is a deep-cut stream in the woods with waterfalls, rapids, and a small lake.

We tell our friends we bought a rock with a very nice small house attached. THE rock is out back, at the edge of the woods, a place of incredible Earth energy and power. A great meditation spot.

And you can't see ANY neighbors, which means we can hot-tub naked or do skyclad ritual outdoors, and the only thing to worry about is the bugs!

I think you people are all so lucky. I live in what I can only call a metropolis. Don't you think it ironic how we isolate ourselves from nature only to try and seek it again?

Cloud woman, I could not agree more.

I would not mind living on some beach front property in Africa
or South America.

Yo...I'm right there with you brother...but I'd build about twenty feet or so up from the beach to allow for rising sea levels over the next hundred years or so.

flow....;)

Malindi, Kenya is just down the road from the major port of Mombasa. I've got a thing for the third world, plus the snorkling off the coast of east Africa in the Indian ocean is fantastic. I'd like to have a simple beachfront bungalow.

Chris

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I kinda like cities. This one has some intense countryside nearby.

China Cat Sunflower said:
Malindi, Kenya is just down the road from the major port of Mombasa. I've got a thing for the third world, plus the snorkling off the coast of east Africa in the Indian ocean is fantastic. I'd like to have a simple beachfront bungalow.

Chris
Just wondering Chris, have you been there? I spent some time in Kenya a few years ago. Never made it over to Malindi, but got down to Mombassa a few times.

cavalier said:
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I kinda like cities. This one has some intense countryside nearby.

Just wondering Chris, have you been there? I spent some time in Kenya a few years ago. Never made it over to Malindi, but got down to Mombassa a few times.

Yeah. It was in the late seventies and I was a teenager but, yeah! Did you ride the train down from Nairobi? That's an awesome trip!

Chris

Yeah. It was in the late seventies and I was a teenager but, yeah! Did you ride the train down from Nairobi? That's an awesome trip!

Chris
So you were there in Kenyatta's time? How much of the country did you see?
I took that train ride once, but then found it was easier to catch buses. Did they have mutatu's (those little minivans that they make sit about 25 people) when you were there?
I was staying a little village near Voi, a couple of hours inland from Mombassa near the Tanzanian border.

We lived in Nairobi for three years and I did see a great deal of the country. This was during Kenyatta's time and also while Idi Amin was Pres. of Uganda (Entebbe raid, etc.). Interesting times to say the least! I did enjoy riding the rather decrepit busses, sometimes hanging out the back door. Only rode the matatu's a couple of times. I still have dreams about being there all these years later.

Chris

We lived in Nairobi for three years and I did see a great deal of the country. This was during Kenyatta's time and also while Idi Amin was Pres. of Uganda (Entebbe raid, etc.). Interesting times to say the least! I did enjoy riding the rather decrepit busses, sometimes hanging out the back door. Only rode the matatu's a couple of times. I still have dreams about being there all these years later.
Chris
And I thought it was interesting under Moi, that era was a whole different level though.
Though I'd heard of Idi Amin, I'll admit to having to google the Entebbe raid. 3 years before I was born.
You said you were in your teens so I guess you were there for your father's job. If you don't mind me asking, what was he doing?
Would you ever want to go back and live there?
One day I'll go and visit some old friends, but to live I think I'd rather choose Malawi. Did you visit any other countries?

Where I am is good enough for me. I live in the back country, with dense forestry right behind my residence. We also have a 36 stall horse stable with indoor arena on my property (Not Mine) that offers much entertainment and enjoyment on rainy days.

I live not too far from one of the most beautiful lakes in existence (by my estimation) and not 4 1/2 hours away from the Great Smokey Mountains.

My brother lives along the Outer Banks of North Carolina, so when I want to take in the majesty of the ocean, I visit him, which is usually once a year. All in all, I'd say I'm quite pleased with my luck of the draw concerning place of residence, and what my life affords me...

Although, I'd love to visit Alaska, and take in the Northern Lights at least once before I die. (Who wouldn't?)

:)

Much Love,

cavalier said:
And I thought it was interesting under Moi, that era was a whole different level though.
Though I'd heard of Idi Amin, I'll admit to having to google the Entebbe raid. 3 years before I was born.
You said you were in your teens so I guess you were there for your father's job. If you don't mind me asking, what was he doing?
Would you ever want to go back and live there?
One day I'll go and visit some old friends, but to live I think I'd rather choose Malawi. Did you visit any other countries?
My folks were Seventh-day Adventist missionaries. I was born in Pakistan but I don't remember it. They left in 1965 when hositilities broke out with India. We lived in Japan for several years when I was pre-school age. I've been to Europe and lived all over the States. Yeah, I'd love to go back. I'd really like to see where I was born too, but that's probably not a good idea right now!

Chris

The Cascades. That's my plan, eventually. I love that you can practically smell the growing plants up there! :) I have a thing for mountains and forests and prefer them to all other sorts of residences. I even like the inconveniences- the thunderstorms, regular power outages, and snow. ;) I would have enjoyed living in Paris for a while, though. I love art and who doesn't love good food? Oh, and believe it or not Cage, I got to see the Northern Lights about five years ago... here in southern California! At first, people didn't know what it was! But they were beautiful...

path_of_one said:
Oh, and believe it or not Cage, I got to see the Northern Lights about five years ago... here in southern California! At first, people didn't know what it was! But they were beautiful...

I bet they were! I saw something on the discovery channel that mentioned the northern lights being seen in Cali. (Cool)

I've seen them on t.v. before, and even on a flat screen they were beautiful. I couldn't imagine seeing them up close and personal in Alaska, though.

Someday, I will go there, and witness them for myself!

Much Love,

Back