What does Dharma mean in your faith?

Discussion in 'Eastern Religions and Philosophies' started by Cino, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

What is the meaning of the term "Dharma", in your faith?

Is it a set of obligations?

Is it a set of teachings?

Is it an abstract set of "natural laws" and phenomena?

How does an adherent of your faith gain knowledge of their Dharma?

2. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

Obligations which will include the personal as well as social responsibilities. For example, engaging in righteous action is a social responsibility.

No numbered set, but what the wise people in India have said over the ages essential for personal and social happiness.

Elders, parents, religious stories, poetries, songs, dance dramas, books, Congregations (Sat-sang), lectures by religious leaders.

Please note, scriptures are not the major dispensers of information about 'dharma'. Much of India was uneducated till recently.

Cino likes this.
  3. Cino

Cino Big Love! (Atheist mystic) Admin

Thanks, interesting!

In families, it would be more the stories and songs and poems, I assume? Which stories are popular in your family, if I may ask?

Do the songs, dance, and drama still inform popular culture?

4. Aupmanyav

In families, it would be more the stories and songs and poems, I assume? Which stories are popular in your family, if I may ask?: How should I pick one? There are thousands from Ramayana, Bhagawat Purana, and other books. Story of Lord Rama is the most important. That is why Rama is known as 'personification of Dharma' (Ramah Videhavan Dharmah).

Do the songs, dance, and drama still inform popular culture: Yes, very much. Ram Lila, Ras Lila (North India), Jatra (Bengal), Pandavani (Central India), Padh (Rajasthan), Theyyam (Kerala).
    Indian classical dances: Kathakali, Mohiniattam (Kerala), Bharatanatyam (Tamilnadu), Kathak (North India), Kuchipudi (Andhra Pradesh), Odishi (Odisha), Sattriya (Assam), Manipuri (Manipur).
    These days, films, TV Serials, videos help spread of 'dharma'.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Santoshi Maa: the Goddess of Contentment with what we have. Santosha - Contentment.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  5. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Slightly confused....as Dharma does not exist (as I know it) in most religions....i take it your are.referring to the definition, the essence of the word/belief. So to answer I must know what exactly the definition you are.referring

6. Aupmanyav

'Dhārayet iti dharmah' (What should be borne is 'dharma'). 'What should be done by an individual for the betterment of society / family' is 'dharma'. It is related to what we do and has nothing to do with / is independent of philosophies or Gods. Therein lies the key to Hinduism.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Cino likes this.
  7. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

So it would be.what is called in some circles "good works".?

8. Aupmanyav

True dat.

9. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

Are children in India's public schools taught Hinduism? I'm asking as a person not very familiar with India.

10. Aupmanyav

No. India is a secular country. Religious education is not a part of Indian school curriculum. The Muslim madarasas teach Quran, but things are changing.

Ahanu likes this.