The Urantia Book

Discussion in 'Modern Religions' started by Cino, Apr 25, 2022.

1. RJM

RJM God Feeds the Ravens Admin

I read the above linked critique of Oahspe. I must say it comes across to me as a hatchet job. It doesn't address the body of Oahspe at all.

In fact am already getting the sense that the Urantia people are quick to stamp on anything that doesn't jibe -- as well as arguing a lot amongst themselves?

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  2. RJM

I'm trying to understand why these elevated angelic spirits have to explain that the science outlined in the Urantia papers will need to be updated as science progresses?

I have to prefer Oahspe as more convincing ...

3. RJM

Interestingly both Oahspe and the Urantia papers seem to propose an impermanent God of this world -- that Gods move on to higher realms, ever closer to the infinite, and that there have been several different highly elevated beings -- stewards for a time -- of this world?

Gods of worlds and higher gods of arcs of space of many worlds -- ever closer but never reaching the infinity of Godhead... poor human words ...

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  4. LuisMarco

LuisMarco Established Member

@Ella S. you use ios or android devices¿. (curious)

Ella S. likes this.
  5. Ella S.

Ella S. Well-Known Member

I do think courage and altruism are desirable, but I don't think any of the rest of these virtues are.

Hope, to me, is an attachment to a possible (and perhaps even unlikely) future, which merely creates future suffering and rejects acceptance of the present.

Faith is blind and it leads us astray.

Truth is a tool, not a virtue in and of itself, and can be bent for evil purposes. Also, lies can be good, although I try to only use them as a last resort in grave matters.

Idealism is, in my opinion, naive and misguided, as well as unnecessary.

Loyalty is the source of much of the misfortune in the world, especially in armed conflicts.

I do not think unselfishness is desirable. I think everyone has a responsibility to their own health, even if it's just so that they can continue helping other people. I think equity is better, where everyone (including yourself) is valued equally, or maybe a sort of meritocratic ideal where people can be organized by merit if they absolutely need to be. However, I don't think it's easy to calculate whether a single individual is indirectly responsible for more good than another; that might require something resembling omniscience. For that reason, it's better to treat all people equally.

Pleasure is evil. It's insidious and behind some of the most despicable actions. Doing the right thing sucks. It shouldn't be pleasurable. If you feel good, then you aren't doing enough to help other people, in my opinion. It's miserable servitude to an ungrateful and hostile word that, at best, takes advantage of you and then takes credit for your accomplishments because you aren't in it for the recognition.