Hi

Yahweh kid

I am blessed!
Reaction score
I am a lover of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.

Hopefully we will have exciting discussions... :D

Welcome!

Were you born into a Christian family, or did you adopt your faith?

Which religions or world-views other than your own are you interested in? This is an interfaith dialogue forum, where it's possible to learn from believers (and nonbelievers) of many different religions.

Thanks all.
I were born into a Christian family, but I did not become a true Christian until I was around 15, this is when I made Jesus Christ my Lord.
I am always open to "the truth" and try to stay away from every person's truth which makes no sense to me. There can only be one truth when it comes to what happens to us after we die.

When we jump off a bridge will we fall.....is this the truth or are there other truths? So when we die does it matter what our subjective truths are? I believe there can only be one truth.... so should we just ignore the truth or make up a truth that we feel comfortable with... why are there such a variety of different faiths or beliefs, makes the real truth very difficult to see. Everyone thinks their version is correct.. just like me.. :D

I believe there can only be one truth.... why are there such a variety of different faiths or beliefs...?
As do most of us. Thing is, the same truth appears differently when viewed from different perspectives. To paraphrase the father of one of our late members when asked the same question, to folks on the roadside, passing cars are a blur, but to the folks in those cars, those on the roadside are a blur. So even though they're both looking at the same road, what they see and describe from their perspectives is very different and so it is when viewing God.

Then there are those that turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the road before them, yet are quick to criticize and to denounce it. You'll run into all types here on I.O. Hope you'll enjoy the ride. ;)

When we jump off a bridge will we fall.....is this the truth or are there other truths? So when we die does it matter what our subjective truths are?

Once over the railing, it's a question of physics, not what we think about physics, agreed.

But when trying to talk a person out of jumping, the subjective truth of that person certainly plays a major role.

Once over the railing, it's a question of physics, not what we think about physics, agreed.

But when trying to talk a person out of jumping, the subjective truth of that person certainly plays a major role.
I agree.....if we are not open for the truth we will build a subjective truth that fits our desires and needs. This is reality.

I agree.....if we are not open for the truth we will build a subjective truth that fits our desires and needs. This is reality.

I think it goes a step further than desires and needs. In the case of the person ready to jump off a bridge, their subjective perception of truth must be really powerful to compel them to do something so obviously not in their own or anyone else's interest or desire. It is certainly not a frivolous matter of preference for such a person.

I think it goes a step further than desires and needs. In the case of the person ready to jump off a bridge, their subjective perception of truth must be really powerful to compel them to do something so obviously not in their own or anyone else's interest or desire. It is certainly not a frivolous matter of preference for such a person.
There can be many reason's why a person would want to commit suicide, but this was not the point I was trying to make..... no matter what a person believe, it is not going to make a difference to the real or objective truth. Some people believe they are going to be reincarnated, others believe they are going to heaven, or won't exist in any form after death, etc....however there can only be one Truth when it comes to what happen after a person die. There are so many subjective truths, they can't all be correct can they?

There are so many subjective truths, they can't all be correct can they?

Not to all people, at any rate. I maintain an open mind by acknowledging that different people see the world through fundamentally different lenses.

We can observe the death of a person and the decay of the body on the organic level. This is scientific truth. We can agree on that.

We have many differen religious and spiritual views about dying and death on a spiritual level. The only thing they all agree on is that it is an important topic.

Since we never really hear from the deceased, only ever from the mouths of living persons, I have concluded that death is only important to the living, not to the dead. That is something we might call Truth?

Some people believe they are going to be reincarnated, others believe they are going to heaven, or won't exist in any form after death, etc... however there can only be one Truth when it comes to what happens after a person dies.
I don't believe it's a matter of, if this is true, than this other thing must be false. I think it's much more nuanced than that. From my own personal perspective, I believe all 3 are possible, dependent on one's works. Many Hindus for instance believe one goes through several stages of reincarnation before reaching moksha, the release or liberation from the endless cycle of birth, whereby you return from whence you came. Then Christian scripture does point out that men are judged by their works and that God is able to destroy the soul if need be. That would mean then, that some will indeed cease to be in any form after death of the flesh.
There are so many subjective truths, they can't all be correct can they?
Perhaps none have the complete story, but rather individual pieces of the same puzzle...

Reactions: RJM
I don't believe it's a matter of, if this is true, than this other thing most be false. I think it's much more nuanced than that. From my own personal perspective, I believe all 3 are possible, dependent on one's works. Many Hindus for instance believe one goes through several stages of reincarnation before reaching moksha, the release or liberation from the endless cycle of birth, whereby you return from whence you came. Then Christian scripture does point out that men are judged by their works and that God is able to destroy the soul if need be. That would mean then, that some will indeed cease to be in any form after death of the flesh.
Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God or only certain parts? or whether all of the Bible is true?

I believe that if I am sincere, God will meet me where I am and 'guide me in' regardless of time, place or religion

Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God or only certain parts? or whether all of the Bible is true?
When read correctly, not cherry picked or maligned, I believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God, but not necessarily the only inspired word and that God knows exactly where each individual's heart is, regardless of the teachings they follow.

The Bible, like the holy scriptures of many other faiths, is 'the finger pointing at the moon'. It is the shell of the nut; it is the living truth contained within that nourishes the individual soul -- not fixation upon the words themselves
IMO

I believe Jesus came to show exactly that: it is the spirit not the letter of the words that matters most. Now they do the same with what he said, and even manage to manipulate his words to bigotry, war and violence

I believe that if I am sincere, God will meet me where I am and 'guide me in' regardless of time, place or religion
I hope you are correct for your sake, but if you know a bit of the Word you should know that none of us are holy, we have all sinned and the wages of sin is death. What makes it so difficult to make Jesus Christ your Lord and Saviour? He can save you... how would you know if you are sincere enough for God to meet you where you are? Should we not rather seek God or should we hope He will meet us where we are? The Word of God guides us to Salvation... This well known verse(John 3:16) can help you understand if you are interested....it is all about Jesus who pays for the sins of man and those who believe in Him shall not perish...

When read correctly, not cherry picked or maligned, I believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God, but not necessarily the only inspired word and that God knows exactly where each individual's heart is, regardless of the teachings they follow.
I do not believe that all the Scriptures in this world comes from the same "God", do you mind showing me any scriptures that say God has a begotten Son like the Bible do?

Back