Something wrong with Christianity?

If we look at Hebrews 7:1-28 we can understand that Christians are no longer to have anything to do with the lesser covenant, that it cannot perfect us while Jesus can...

If we look at 2 Corinthians 3:1-18 this is driven home, going so far as to say relying on texts - especially those of Moses - dulls the mind and veils the heart...

If we look at Ephesians 2:11-22 we find that by dropping Jewish commandments and regulations we are bridging the divide between peoples...

Essentially the whole of Galatians is nothing but commentary on this topic...

Why is all of this ignored today?

Why is Christianity not about perfecting love, but rather continues to cling to condemnation?

We see in places like John 17:20-26 that the goal is complete unity, the same glory Jesus had.

We see in 1 John 4:7-21 how to prepare for judgement, becoming as he was.

Where is any of this in modern Christianity?

Christianity is all about perfecting love, especially the teachings of Jesus. But you must remember that the Bible is not the work of God. It is the work of frail human beings who are not all always consistent to the theme of love. Also, you cant fill the pages of a thousand page bible with just love teachings. you must also talk about the various judgments of God, which are not opposed to love (for God) but may be seen as opposed to love by imperfect human beings. So my suggestion would be to not read the scriptures too much as it is the work of imperfect people like you and me, but to stick to the message of love and sacrifice as symbolized by the life and death of Jesus.

Christianity is all about perfecting love, especially the teachings of Jesus. But you must remember that the Bible is not the work of God. It is the work of frail human beings who are not all always consistent to the theme of love. Also, you cant fill the pages of a thousand page bible with just love teachings. you must also talk about the various judgments of God, which are not opposed to love (for God) but may be seen as opposed to love by imperfect human beings. So my suggestion would be to not read the scriptures too much as it is the work of imperfect people like you and me, but to stick to the message of love and sacrifice as symbolized by the life and death of Jesus.
And that is your opinion. Many of us believe it is the Holy Spirit inspired Word of God and believe it's inerrant.
2Tim. 3
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

@Thomas It is one thing to seek counsel, quite another to demand submission
I regard 'confession' or 'reconciliation' as it's now called, as rooted way back in the human psyche, it's a rite of passage of sorts, a clearing of decks, or clearing of conscience.

Probably there in the Early Church, but I think in a more general form. Say, gathered in a house, Fred says 'forgive me, I have been a sinner' – a bit like 'My name's Jim and I'm an alcoholic' – the first admission is a Very Big Thing.

Did Fred go into detail – probably broadly – I remember speaking to a priest once: "OK, let's start with thre big one, have you killed anyone?" "No." "Well, then we're off to a flying start!"

(My mum went into a confessional in Westminster Cathedral once, and the priest was from her home town in Ireland. They chatted away about home, etc, until she realised she'd been in there absolutely ages! When she came out it was clear those waiting thought she must have done something seriously, seriously wrong!)

So I see the benefit of a 'spiritual spring clean' ... but I think what we have evolved into is something else and I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the abuses ... In Persona Christi is, as I see it, a relatively late dogmatic affirmation in the face of eroding authority. I don't argue such principles, I just don't see the benefit of dogmatically defining them ...

(When I was a kid, the parish priest controlled the confessional door. It opened, you went in, began mumbling, then halfway through he'd absolve you and the door would open. If you weren't quick enough you got a replay. You could see the copy of The Sporting Life he was reading through the grill.)

Then again – a confessional with someone like Padre Pio could rock your world, so my examples are just light-hearted ad hominems.

I regard 'confession' or 'reconciliation' as it's now called, as rooted way back in the human psyche, it's a rite of passage of sorts, a clearing of decks, or clearing of conscience.

Probably there in the Early Church, but I think in a more general form. Say, gathered in a house, Fred says 'forgive me, I have been a sinner' – a bit like 'My name's Jim and I'm an alcoholic' – the first admission is a Very Big Thing.

Did Fred go into detail – probably broadly – I remember speaking to a priest once: "OK, let's start with thre big one, have you killed anyone?" "No." "Well, then we're off to a flying start!"

(My mum went into a confessional in Westminster Cathedral once, and the priest was from her home town in Ireland. They chatted away about home, etc, until she realised she'd been in there absolutely ages! When she came out it was clear those waiting thought she must have done something seriously, seriously wrong!)

So I see the benefit of a 'spiritual spring clean' ... but I think what we have evolved into is something else and I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the abuses ... In Persona Christi is, as I see it, a relatively late dogmatic affirmation in the face of eroding authority. I don't argue such principles, I just don't see the benefit of dogmatically defining them ...

(When I was a kid, the parish priest controlled the confessional door. It opened, you went in, began mumbling, then halfway through he'd absolve you and the door would open. If you weren't quick enough you got a replay. You could see the copy of The Sporting Life he was reading through the grill.)

Then again – a confessional with someone like Padre Pio could rock your world, so my examples are just light-hearted ad hominems.
Basically the same I said in different words...if a person finds edification and encouragement, then it is not my place to tear down what builds up others. If there is value, proceed - with the only qualifier that it is voluntary, not coerced or insisted.

Sooooo that large statue of Baal that is in my Etsy cart, should I not buy it? Can't do child sacrifice without it.
I believe you are making an attempt at humor, and I even enjoy dark humor from time to time, the "dead skunk in the middle of the road" kind...child sacrifice is not on the list. All I can do in response is wince.

I never really thought of confession like this... I do have a need to confess particular sins to a person that I feel s spiritual kinship with or what I call my accountability partner.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. James 5:16

what I don't understand is the part I really only know from movies.. the saying of so many Hail Marys after confession. I've heard that prayer so many times from movies that I know it by heart. What is the purpose of that part of it?

I never really thought of confession like this... I do have a need to confess particular sins to a person that I feel s spiritual kinship with or what I call my accountability partner.
The Irish call it anamcara – soul friend.

what I don't understand is the part I really only know from movies.. the saying of so many Hail Marys after confession. I've heard that prayer so many times from movies that I know it by heart. What is the purpose of that part of it?
After making a confession, the penitent is assigned a penance, nowadays invariably the saying of prayers.

The Hail Mary is one of the 'Big Three' Catholic prayers, and sits between the 'Our Father' and the 'Glory be'.

The absolution, the forgiveness of sins, used to be a significant affair. In the Early Church, the penitent might be banned from attending the mysteries for a period of a year or even longer, and in some cases a lifetime penance was required – but I would have thought that was for something pretty major.

My mum remembers the 'sackcloth and ashes' when the penitent was required to wear 'coarse cloth' – I assume to mean not to dress for show – and make an ash-mark on the forehead as a sign, this could be assigned for a period of time.

If we look at Hebrews 7:1-28 we can understand that Christians are no longer to have anything to do with the lesser covenant, that it cannot perfect us while Jesus can...

If we look at 2 Corinthians 3:1-18 this is driven home, going so far as to say relying on texts - especially those of Moses - dulls the mind and veils the heart...

If we look at Ephesians 2:11-22 we find that by dropping Jewish commandments and regulations we are bridging the divide between peoples...

Essentially the whole of Galatians is nothing but commentary on this topic...

Why is all of this ignored today?

Why is Christianity not about perfecting love, but rather continues to cling to condemnation?

We see in places like John 17:20-26 that the goal is complete unity, the same glory Jesus had.

We see in 1 John 4:7-21 how to prepare for judgement, becoming as he was.

Where is any of this in modern Christianity?Christians I see the "commandments" of Jesus (p.b.u.h) much more demanding than the Halacha. He increased the level but at the same time he pronounced the promise, and the command, and the liberation of forgiving - by God as by us humans.

The "commandments" of Jesus (p.b.u.h) exceed the commandments of Halacha. They are so demanding that they intrinsically need the addition of forgiveness - from God as from ourselves.

He pronounced the Word concerning the goal of our activities.
If this is not in our hearts and in our deeds, we don't follow His Word, the Word of God.

Halacha and Sharia also define minimum requirements for those who need basic guidance.

Those should be followed but the greatest should not be forgotten, He taught through Jesus.

Whoever is Christian or Muslim should bear this in mind. If Christian teachers who are supposed to know it don't speak and act accordingly, there is certainly something wrong.

@Thomas So it's like a sacrifice of sorts.. doing penitence for sins? Like psalm 51:17 is big for me. I don't ever want to take my sins lightly and I think that happens in the church today. I might try incorporating something into my practice like fasting something and coming to God in prayer. I understand that He is faithful to forgive but the risk of taking that for granted... Taking what Jesus did for granted hurts my heart

Sooooo that large statue of Baal that is in my Etsy cart, should I not buy it? Can't do child sacrifice without it.
I feel the need to touch back to this. I don't know why. Caught a stone and here we are.

I'm not angry with you. And I don't want to be accusative. I believe you were just being a wiseass. I've been a wiseass, and I've gotten my hand slapped a time or two...returning the favor because it is earned.

The wise hear.

The Priests of Baal were named / called KaNah. Keep that in mind.

They would take one of their own children and ritually slaughter them, and cook them and eat them.

The Priests of Baal...KaNah Baal.

Let's see if you can piece together the linguistics.

Last edited:
The point of the lesson is these people were so far gone they would eat their own children.

Could you eat your own child?

I don't find any humor in that.

Your mileage may vary.

@moralorel if I need to apologize, if I came on too strong or too blunt, I'm sorry. That was not my intent. Apart from your little attempt at humor, I've enjoyed your posts. You are thoughtful, and thoughtful is good.

The point of the lesson is these people were so far gone they would eat their own children.

Could you eat your own child?

I don't find any humor in that.

Your mileage may vary.
As those who know me might guess....this also factors in to my political inclination as well...and I'll leave it at that.

@moralorel if I need to apologize, if I came on too strong or too blunt, I'm sorry. That was not my intent. Apart from your little attempt at humor, I've enjoyed your posts. You are thoughtful, and thoughtful is good.
I did NOT expect that to go so far. I was trying to illustrate how silly the poster's claim was. If we are to say that Christians should have "nothing to do with the lesser covenant", than that means Baal is back along with the golden calf. I'm quite familiar with the disgusting acts done in the the name of Baal. It's insane that people somehow justified that behavior. I obviously don't condone child sacrifice.

Is there.Something wrong with Christianity?

I don't know, why do you ask?
Where is it not? We have over 3k denominations...something for every Christian to find a home.
Always good to know where one comes from...makes.it easier to understand..

Which of the 3k do you ascribe? Which Bible version is to your liking?
E
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Churches.jpg
VERYTHING! It's really CHURCHianity!

So, I'm suggesting there are no actual Christians anymore...

I use Luke 14:26 and Galatians 5:4 to justify the statement...

Are you actually a Christian at all if you're in it for yourself and inflict the law on everyone?

That is all I see in the churches.
And I thought that I was outspoken!

My mum remembers the 'sackcloth and ashes' when the penitent was required to wear 'coarse cloth' – I assume to mean not to dress for show – and make an ash-mark on the forehead as a sign, this could be assigned for a period of time.
Might be akin to the "hair shirt" meant to create discomfort for penance.

Back