Parsha in the Torah

dani13

Reaction score
Hi is was just wondering if there is a specific Parasha in the Torah where it reinforces the importance of your faith (passing your faith onto generations) and honouring + respecting your parents and what they have tought you.

Another Question:
Is there any mention of gaurdian angels in the Torah or do Guardian Angles have any improtance in Judasim. I know when they came into someone's dream or something (sorry don't really know too much), but does that have any improtance in the Jewish faith?

dani13 said:
Hi is was just wondering if there is a specific Parasha in the Torah where it reinforces the importance of your faith (passing your faith onto generations) and honouring + respecting your parents and what they have tought you.

The parsha is just the way the text is divided so that it fits the cycle of the year. There are also specific parshot for certain holidays. There is a matching selection from the books of the prophets that fits with the text of the parsha, but sometimes it is unclear or ambiguous as to how they fit. So anything that is in the Torah would be read at some time during the year as part of a weekly parsha. It is customary for the rabbi or someone else to give a dvar torah (word of Torah) about the weekly Torah portion, and this dvar Torah may vary somewhat each time a particular parsha comes along, as there are usually a number of themes to work with. This link has all of the parshot with accompanying text study and commentary from various people:

http://www.myjewishlearning.com:80/texts/Weekly_Torah_Commentary.htm

Another Question:
Is there any mention of gaurdian angels in the Torah or do Guardian Angles have any improtance in Judasim. I know when they came into someone's dream or something (sorry don't really know too much), but does that have any improtance in the Jewish faith?

There is a lot of classical mention of angels of all kinds, and there's also more mention of angels in mysticism. Iirc Jacob is supposed to have wrestled Esau's guardian angel according to some. This actually explains a fairly typical Jewish view of angels here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel#Jewish_views

Dauer

as far as *guardian* angels are concerned, whilst there is a lot of mention of something like these, what you have to remember is that they are not *personal*; the "angel of jacob" is actually the one concerned with the communal prestige of the *community* of jacob and its opposite number in the *community* of esau - an angelic ambassador, if you will. the classical commentators make a lot of mention of the angel of israel struggling with the angel of egypt at the red sea. your "angel's" strength is dependent on your communal spiritual 'share price', if you see what i mean. there may well be an angel assigned to oversee your safety, but i don't think we're encouraged to rely on them.

as far as parshiot goes, what dauer said.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back