Be still and know that I am God

Sure. But it is false equivalence to ignore the difference in degree between a garden firecracker and a hydrogen bomb, although they both explode with a bang?
both are play of atoms in spite of what they do. that is what uddalaka aruni said in chhandogya upanishad:

"yathā soumya. ekena mṛ(I)tpiṇḍena sarvaṃ mṛ(I)nmayaṃ vijñātaṃ syād vācārambhaṇaṃ vikāro nāmadheyaṃ mṛ(I)ttiketyeva satyam. ll 6.1.4 ll

O Somya, it is like this: By knowing a single lump of earth you know all objects made of earth. All changes in name are but distortions. But in reality earth alone is the truth.
(traslation changed a bit to go with the original - https://www.wisdomlib.org/hinduism/book/chandogya-upanishad-english/d/doc239255.html)

soumya denotes a young serious student who is eager to learn.

you know, an advaitist will not accept any kind of duality in paramarthika. all the differences are in vyavaharika.

Last edited:
both are play of atoms in spite of what they do. that is what uddalaka aruni said in chhandogya upanishad:

"yathā soumya. ekena mṛ(I)tpiṇḍena sarvaṃ mṛ(I)nmayaṃ vijñātaṃ syād vācārambhaṇaṃ vikāro nāmadheyaṃ mṛ(I)ttiketyeva satyam. ll 6.1.4 ll

O Somya, it is like this: By knowing a single lump of earth you know all objects made of earth. All changes in name are but distortions. But in reality earth alone is the truth.
(traslation changed a bit to go with the original - https://www.wisdomlib.org/hinduism/book/chandogya-upanishad-english/d/doc239255.html)

soumya denotes a young serious student who is eager to learn.

you know, an advaitistvwill not accept any kind of duality in paramarthika.
But the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. That's the issue. It's false equivalence to ignore the properties of emergence.

What emerges from the combination of the parts is the world and the universe and all that it contains. Every snowflake is different.

The lump of earth cannot say: I am the Earth."

Last edited:
But the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. That's the issue. What emerges from the combination of the parts is the world at the universe and all that it contains. Every snowflake is different
the whole is not divided like water in different oceans. all things are that, there is no other (eko sad, dwiteeyo nasti).
the whole universe is like a great pulsating magma.

Reactions: RJM
the whole is not divided like water in different oceans. all things are that, there is no other (eko sad, dwiteeyo nasti).
the whole universe is like a great pulsating magma.
I quite accept that everything is interconnected. But a million bucks gets me more than one dollar.

The pupil cannot say: "I am the teacher," because although he may emerge to become an even greater teacher, he is not yet a teacher.

The seed cannot say: " I am the tree," because there is first a process of emergence?

Man cannot say: "I am God," imo. Man cannot claim that equality. Better for man to be humble before God

Last edited:
I quite accept that everything is interconnected. But a million bucks gets me more than one dollar.
maya.
Man cannot say: "I am God," imo. Man cannot claim that equality. Better for man to be humble before God
man, god, maya, illusion, misunderstanding. nothing other than brahman in paramarthika.

Reactions: RJM
actally everything, cat, dog, jackal, lion, osama, stalin, hitler, gandhi, table chair, dust, water. advaita does not exclude anything.
But a fatal false equivalence to treat the lion like a cat? It's a question of scale ...

Last edited:
Change is certain, as the most essential dynamic of nature, polarities ever shifting and moving and changing and reversing -- open mouth never satisfied -- though Spirit is still, silent, eternal ...

Last edited:
I am uncertain if this belongs in this thread, probably because it has the words loom an weave contained. I'll post it anyway.:)
I found this by Kabir

I weave your name on the loom of my mind,
To make my garment when you come to me.
My loom has ten thousand threads
To make my garment when you come to me.
The sun and moon watch while I weave your name;
The sun and moon hear while I count your name.
These are the wages I get by day and night
To deposit in the lotus bank of my heart.

I weave your name on the loom of my mind
To clean and soften ten thousand threads
And to comb the twists and knots of my thoughts.
No more shall I weave a garment of pain.
For you have come to me, drawn by my weaving,
Ceaselessly weaving your name on the loom of my mind

Which leads me to ...

The Lady of Shalott: Alfred, Lord Tennyson

No time hath she to sport and play:
A charmed web she weaves alway.
A curse is on her, if she stay
Her weaving, either night or day,
To look down to Camelot.
She knows not what the curse may be;
Therefore she weaveth steadily,
Therefore no other care hath she,