The Blessings Bestowed by Jesus

Ok sorry those 2 both lacked alot in my opinion.
Namaste Dor, would you care to take one line, the most lacking one, in your opinion and we can line it up to see what is missing in the revised translation to discuss?

There is a notion of prose to the KJV once one gets used to the thee's, thou's and thy's, but as we know the KJV is merely King Jame'ses Version and when it came out there were many not pleased with the update and preferred the old text...

Namaste Dor, would you care to take one line, the most lacking one, in your opinion and we can line it up to see what is missing in the revised translation to discuss?

There is a notion of prose to the KJV once one gets used to the thee's, thou's and thy's, but as we know the KJV is merely King Jame'ses Version and when it came out there were many not pleased with the update and preferred the old text...
Ok sure...
5:6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
Now what the hell is "You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat."

Just for starters.

Here is the new constitution that Jesus delivered to the people.
The new translations of New International Version of the Bible are very interesting and enlightening for those that have the time to read.

BibleGateway.com - Passage Lookup: Matthew 5-18;

I don't think these are blessings given by Jesus, per se. But rather they are statements that those to whom these are applied are blessed. Much as on would say blessed are those who obey the pedestrian traffic laws, for they shall not be hit by a car.

Ok sure...
5:6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
Now what the hell is "You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat."

Just for starters.
Great start. Can you define what the new version is lacking in your opinion. And don't I find a tie to this is my blood and this is my body in the new version?

Can you identify your issues with it...or is it just..."nobody make apple pie like Mom"

I was thinking about buying the NIV Life Application Study Bible. Anyone know anything about this system of study? The NIV is suppose to a thought for thought translation which appeals to me for some reason. I love my KJV, and my NASB, but both can be a little difficult to read. The KJV is graceful in it's beauty, but sometimes difficult to understand. The NASB is suppose to be the most literal, but it can be VERY stiff!

The NIV seems to fit the bill, but I'm not sure if the Life Application addition is what I need. I was also looking at Cambridges wide margin reference edition, but it's a bit pricy in a good binding. $219.00 :eek:

If anyone can share thier experince with the Life application sytem, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

James

Is this the same one? If so looks like there are some better deals on the web.

I know what you mean about various versions...I'm using one parallel and two others now...looking for another parallel so with two books I can check out 8 different versions...which means litterally utilizing thousands of minds to determine what scripture meant and said. Each looking at their bias yes...but each going back to the newest finds in old bibles and old scrolls, each researching Hebrew, Greek, Coptic, Latin, Aramaic and the social mores, norms, and idioms of the day to try to determine meaning....so beneficial...not one of us individually obviously has that skill or ability. The taking the combination of those minds and going within to determine what G-d/Jesus/Moses/Abraham.... means in those words for you in your life today...all good stuff!

If you end up with the big book...please do tell us what you think!

This is the wide margin Cambridge bible a was looking at.Amazon.com: NIV Wide Margin Reference Edition black goatskin NI206WM: Books

and here's the NIV Life Application Study Bible I was looking at. Amazon.com: NIV Life Application Study Bible (New International Version): Books

I'll buy one or the other sometime in the near future. (If I'm able) I found the NIV-LASB bound in calfskin @ $189.00 I figure if I'm going to spend the money on another Bible, it should be one that will last a lifetime. I just want to get the one one that will be most benneficial.

Sorry for the interuption here. I just thought this was a perfect place to ask my question since the op lists the NIV. :)

James

In our (Catholic) Theology Degree, we are advised to use the RSV (CE), because it is 'closest' to the source languages ... so we use it for critical study of scriptural texts. But it is dry.

In my own work I use Douai Rheims, because I find the language more lyrical, but in individual phraseology, sometimes other versions have a nicer turn of phrase. It's purely a matter of taste.

As far as I understand, all Scriptural Scholars agree that although there are variations, the accepted translations do not alter the theological import and intention of the text.

Whilst there is a body of people who insist that either we don't know what was originally written, or its been mistranslated so badly all sense is lost, and ask, for example, which text is the 'real' or 'authoratitive' text, are usually either poorly-informed, or making waves to sell their latest book ...

As a note, the translations favoured by the mainstream denominations are all based on as near as 'original' texts as can be found, and are the work of scholars fluent in the source language. In Protestant/Catholic scholarship, this includes texts in Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, Syriac ... findings among the Qumran Documents, notably Daniel, for example, give a good cross-check reference.

+++

In the last century, scholars traced the 'family tree' of over 1,000 extant translations, to try and find the 'original' text ... what they found was that there was no one source that could be pinpointed ... but that all the early sources, and the subsequent translations, did not depart in any serious and problematic way from each other.

I'll try and dig out the research data in anyone's interested.

Thomas

Back