How strong is your belief?

S

Sacredstar

Is your belief in your religion no matter what it may be, strong enough to share all of your possessions?

Is your faith in GOD so strong that you feel safe enough to leave yourself with nothing knowing that GOD will provide in co-creation with you?

Acts 4:32-37 NIV

The Believers Share Their Possessions

32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. 34 There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.

36 Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means Son of Encouragement), 37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles' feet.

Blessings in abundance

Kim xx

From Leo Tolstoy, The Kingdom of God Is within You:

The Christian religion seems to exclude the possibility life only when men mistake the pointing to an ideal as the laying down of a rule. It is only then that the principles presented in Christ's teaching appear to be destructive of life. These principles, on the contrary, are the only ones that make true life possible. Without these principles true life could not be possible.

"One ought not to expect so much," is what people usually say in discussing the requirements of the Christian religion. "One cannot expect to take absolutely no thought for the morrow, as is said in the Gospel, but only not to take too much thought for it; one cannot give away all to the poor, but one must give away a certain definite part; one need not aim at virginity, but one must avoid debauchery; one need not forsake wife and children, but one must not give too great a place to them in one's heart," and so on.

But to speak like this is just like telling a man who is struggling on a swift river and is directing his course against the current, that it is impossible to cross the river rowing against the current, and that to cross it he must float in the direction of the point he wants to reach.

In reality, in order to reach the place to which he wants to go, he must row with all his strength toward a point much higher up.

To let go the requirements of the ideal means not only to diminish the possibility of perfection, but to make an end of the ideal itself. The ideal that has power over men is not an ideal invented by someone, but the ideal that every man carries within his soul. Only this ideal of complete infinite perfection has power over men, and stimulates them to action. A moderate perfection loses its power of influencing men's hearts.

Christ's teaching only has power when it demands absolute perfection--that is, the fusion of the divine nature which exists in every man's soul with the will of God--the union of the Son with the Father. Life according to Christ's teaching consists of nothing but this setting free of the Son of God, existing in every man, from the animal, and in bringing him closer to the Father.

This is what I think of as the tension in which most of us live our lives. We must expect no less than the ideal of Christ, yet being imperfect most of us don't get past trying, failing, and trying again. Saints come closer. And any one of us has the potential to be a saint.

This is a very interesting book. I haven't finished it yet but I am finding much that I might like to share here.

peace,

Last edited:
Sacredstar said:
Is your belief in your religion no matter what it may be, strong enough to share all of your possessions?
The truth is, conditionally yes. And the condition is, only when I have been compelled and strengthened by the Holy Spirit. I certainly did not feel like giving away everything (quite the opposite), nor did I have to, but knew it was the correct action. There was no outside influence on my decision (it was all internal).

I did not receive personal satisfaction either, only a sense of acknowledgement for my "obedience" (I can picture God nodding his head ever so slightly).

There was no regret or resentment either. It was a "duty" I had to do, I knew it, so I carried it out.

I didn't suffer for it either. It was as if I had want for nothing. When I needed something, I got it in spades, without even trying.;)

v/r

Q

What importance does a "high degree" of faith hold? I believe no one can be sure he holds the truth. Living a life the way one think it should be lived, living up to our own standards, accepting we're human and fallible. We don't have to give everything to express our faith. As long as we do our part helping others, whatever way we chose to do it, I believe we're doing ok.
___
Kal

Kaldayen said:
What importance does a "high degree" of faith hold? I believe no one can be sure he holds the truth. Living a life the way one think it should be lived, living up to our own standards, accepting we're human and fallible. We don't have to give everything to express our faith. As long as we do our part helping others, whatever way we chose to do it, I believe we're doing ok.
___
Kal
Hey Kal,

That is well and good. But some people feel something is missing in their lives, so they search to find "it". In doing so, they may determine that there is too much distraction around them interferring with their search, so they begin to let go of such distractions. They don't want more, they want something "better" (what ever better is for that individual).

The story of the "pearl of great price" comes to mind...;)

v/r

Q

missionaries, evangelists and there families give up there entire lives and leave everything behind them for the gospel of Jesus and God meets everyone of there needs.

Earth is not my home I am just passing through. This is all so very temporary.

on the other side treasures there have I
treasures that this world and all its wealth can never buy
when i reach that city and the gates swing open wide
i find my treasures waiting over on the other side.

there are so many wonderful things I can say about this

Dear Q

Quahom1 said:
There was no regret or resentment either. It was a "duty" I had to do, I knew it, so I carried it out. I didn't suffer for it either. It was as if I had want for nothing. When I needed something, I got it in spades, without even trying.;) Q

For me it was not a duty but a joy to surrender, align and fulfil GOD's will. I remember thanking GOD every day for the blessing of surrender and the liberation and freedom that came with it. To be completely free of ties and attachments can be an enlightening experience. St Francis of Assisi comes to mind.

Yes I am sure you will agree miracles come in many different forms and not in ways one could ever expect. Life without expectation or condition is a joy indeed pure unconditional love.

GOD certainly works in mysterious ways.

Blessings in abundance

Kim xx

Sacredstar said:
Dear Q

For me it was not a duty but a joy to surrender, align and fulfil GOD's will. I remember thanking GOD every day for the blessing of surrender and the liberation and freedom that came with it. To be completely free of ties and attachments can be an enlightening experience. St Francis of Assisi comes to mind.

Yes I am sure you will agree miracles come in many different forms and not in ways one could ever expect. Life without expectation or condition is a joy indeed pure unconditional love.

GOD certainly works in mysterious ways.

Blessings in abundance

Kim xx
I guess I'm cut from similar cloth as the Roman Centurian who spoke with Jesus about his ailing servant...he had expectations, and he knew his duty to God...;)

v/r

Q

Hmm.. my belief is quite strong, and my deity doesn't ask me to give up everything and walk away.... apples and kumquats, I think. While renunciation is a part of many religions, it's not universal by any means.

To quote from one of bgrugach's posts:
One of our influential writers, Isaac Bonewits, published a checklist he calls his "cult danger evaluation frame" back in 1979. It's been widely disseminated within the Wiccan and wider Pagan community since then. Check it out -- it's on Isaac's website at http://www.neopagan.net/ABCDEF.html

In that framework, as with many "cult identification" frameworks, one factor is the requirement to give up one's wealth to the religious community... not to say it's the only factor, but it's certainly part of it.

brucegdc said:
Hmm.. my belief is quite strong, and my deity doesn't ask me to give up everything and walk away.... apples and kumquats, I think. While renunciation is a part of many religions, it's not universal by any means.

To quote from one of bgrugach's posts:

In that framework, as with many "cult identification" frameworks, one factor is the requirement to give up one's wealth to the religious community... not to say it's the only factor, but it's certainly part of it.
I think, this particular case is the giving away things to those in need, and not necessarrily to the religious core or group. Sacred is implying a personal choice as opposed to a "requirement" enforced upon by a bunial. But I digress Bruce.

v/r

Q

It's the second line of her (his?) post that prompted my post:
Is your faith in GOD so strong that you feel safe enough to leave yourself with nothing knowing that GOD will provide in co-creation with you?

It also strikes me as a tad arrogant - Sort of a "yo, God. I've given away what you've given me in the past - let's do it again".

Do I not believe in charity? Certainly I do. However, impoverishing yourself to help others is another thing entirely - that's disrespect to yourself and to deity in that you're then in effect demanding he/she/it/they take care of you. I'm reminded of the story about the guy on his rooftop during the flood who kept saying "God will provide" as a rowboat, a helicopter and a liferaft came by. He drowns, and gets up to heaven and asks God why he didn't provide, and gets the answer "I sent a rowboat, a helicopter, and a liferaft.... what more could you want?".

brucegdc said:
It's the second line of her (his?) post that prompted my post:

It also strikes me as a tad arrogant - Sort of a "yo, God. I've given away what you've given me in the past - let's do it again".

Do I not believe in charity? Certainly I do. However, impoverishing yourself to help others is another thing entirely - that's disrespect to yourself and to deity in that you're then in effect demanding he/she/it/they take care of you. I'm reminded of the story about the guy on his rooftop during the flood who kept saying "God will provide" as a rowboat, a helicopter and a liferaft came by. He drowns, and gets up to heaven and asks God why he didn't provide, and gets the answer "I sent a rowboat, a helicopter, and a liferaft.... what more could you want?".
LOL, yep, the Coast Guard is still shaking their head over that one...:confused:

v/r

Q

I remember when I returned from Australia penniless it brought up so many people's issues, how can she be so happy with nothing and how can she feel so empowered. I was empowered by the happiness within and the sheer liberation that it brought and the raising of consciousness that came with it.

So yes I was not involved in any cult or organisation it had always been a direct relationship with GOD and a mission to which I aligned my will with GOD's will, so just like Jonah there is no running away from GOD.

Did it bring up my issues while on the journey yes it did, it brought them up big time, when you strip off the comfort zones you have no option but to face yourself and lay stronger foundations. Spiritual crisis yes that too but with each one, the faith becomes stronger and stronger until it is indestructible.

I guess the moral of the story is that happiness is not outside of the self and when you really access the inner core of who you are it is the most powerful and enlightening experience of all, some people only reach that core by letting go of all of their comforts zones. But as there are many paths home to love and peace I also feel GOD as many ways to turn someone inside out to purify the soul.

All good prep for the next stage of the journey, so yes my faith was so strong I felt totally safe to relinguish total control and put myself and my 15 year old son in GOD's hands completely, and I have lived like this ever since and you are right GOD never leaves you without a net to catch you, he always sends the light brigade if you ever need a tow.

An enriching experience....and a true test of faith and total surrender to GOD.

being love

Kim xx

Sacredstar said:
To be completely free of ties and attachments can be an enlightening experience.
It can also mean a freedom from responsibility, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Whether we choose to partake of the spiritual or material world is not necessarily equivalent to spiritual purpose. Meaning - dip our selves in spiritual wisdom, but do something responsible with it.

I never understand why some people go live in caves, freeing themselves to feel God. That seems inherently selfish.

Whatever our dreams and aspirations and perceptions, we live in a material world, and there is need of material purpose.

2c. :)

I said:
It can also mean a freedom from responsibility, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Whether we choose to partake of the spiritual or material world is not necessarily equivalent to spiritual purpose. Meaning - dip our selves in spiritual wisdom, but do something responsible with it.

I never understand why some people go live in caves, freeing themselves to feel God. That seems inherently selfish.

Whatever our dreams and aspirations and perceptions, we live in a material world, and there is need of material purpose.

2c. :)
It can also mean taking responsibility for others well being at the cost of one's own. And that may not necessarrily be a good thing either.

v/r

Q

Well from a Christian perspective it is about doing GOD's will, thy will, will be done.

The responsibility can be a very heavy burden indeed when you do GOD's will and GOD is the boss. From my perspective you do your utmost to fufil divine will but you are ever conscious of the fact that you do not wish to let GOD down. So when and if one feels like the burden is too heavy, GOD is happy to remind us that we are not in control and to just allow divine will to fall into place.

Responsibility and self-discipline is key when doing GOD's will in fact without these in place one cannot be used for GOD's will.

being love

Kim xx

what is belif?
what factors is it based on?
what is the role of belief in warios religions?

sangam said:
what is belif?
what factors is it based on?
what is the role of belief in warios religions?
Welcome Sangam, to CR ! ;)

Belief is any cognitive content held as true, that is, to accept something as the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning.

I see it, sense it or I perceive it, therefore I choose to believe it...

Belief is based mostly on perception and/or on facts based on witness. Occasionally it can be based upon theory with strong logical argument, though not with hard evidence as proof.

I do not understand what you mean by "warios religions"...could you clarify?

v/r

Q

sorry, misspelt, old weakness.
what i meant was that do different religions have a varying perspective on this element (belief)of spirituality. ie do some require more belief than others.
i find belief a difficult proposition as i cant make myself have any degree of belief in anything that i dont know/understand etc personaly. i dont have any personal perception of god and therefore though i can keep my options open, i cannot accept its exhistance either. however, being unaware of any scriptures of any religion( must admit i have read gita but could not understant anything) i was curious about how much importance is given to belief. are we expected to base our beliefs on circumstantial evidence, what is the validity of such a belief. what comes first, belief or god. if belief comes before god, then god is gas. if god comes first, then belief would not need any other evidence/proof/etc. neither would there be a question of strenth. this might just sound like rambling. i often find myself unable to clearly convey my thoughts on these matters. please ignore it if it dosnt make any sense.

sangam said:
sorry, misspelt, old weakness.
what i meant was that do different religions have a varying perspective on this element (belief)of spirituality. ie do some require more belief than others.
i find belief a difficult proposition as i cant make myself have any degree of belief in anything that i dont know/understand etc personaly. i dont have any personal perception of god and therefore though i can keep my options open, i cannot accept its exhistance either. however, being unaware of any scriptures of any religion( must admit i have read gita but could not understant anything) i was curious about how much importance is given to belief. are we expected to base our beliefs on circumstantial evidence, what is the validity of such a belief. what comes first, belief or god. if belief comes before god, then god is gas. if god comes first, then belief would not need any other evidence/proof/etc. neither would there be a question of strenth. this might just sound like rambling. i often find myself unable to clearly convey my thoughts on these matters. please ignore it if it dosnt make any sense.
No, I think I understand your questions. But I am not certain that they all could be answered right here and now (not to your satisfaction anyway) ;)

You meant "various" religions yes? I think that answer must be found by asking those of each religion you are curious about. But I can answer for me.

In Christianity, Belief is very important (to me). And I must add that my belief is rewarded in very subtle (and not so subtle ways). But I digress. Others should tell you what they think as well, then you decide. :D

Good to have you here Sangam!

v/r

Q

Back