Different Forms of Christianity

Sacredstar said:
Last year I heard about the 'Plymouth Brethen' for the first time who are a more fundamental small christian group. The healer they were visiting said they do not use computers, tv, radio, cinema etc

As anyone here met any?

Here is a weblink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Brethren

http://www.plymouthbrethren.com/pqh0814.htm
The Amish around my home are very similar in their ways of conducting the business of life. I find them, genteel, and refreshing.

v/r

Q

Sacredstar said:
Does anyone have a view on the Christian Scientists?

My best friend's mother is part of the Christian Scientists' church. I've been to Sunday service with her quite a few times. I have always really enjoyed it. They believe that each part of the body is a specific energy center and they concentrate on those specific spots to produce different results in their praying and overall relations with God and mankind. While most Christians just walk by faith and the 'Word of God', they do the same plus they incorporate scientific education in their studies. This particular group that my friend's mother worships with are the most genuinely jovial group of people (congregation of about 400) that I have ever met. Though it is a large congregation, the services are still intimate.

truthseeker said:
My best friend's mother is part of the Christian Scientists' church. I've been to Sunday service with her quite a few times. I have always really enjoyed it. They believe that each part of the body is a specific energy center and they concentrate on those specific spots to produce different results in their praying and overall relations with God and mankind. While most Christians just walk by faith and the 'Word of God', they do the same plus they incorporate scientific education in their studies. This particular group that my friend's mother worships with are the most genuinely jovial group of people (congregation of about 400) that I have ever met. Though it is a large congregation, the services are still intimate.
yes. I have lived in some different places. I went to a Christian Science church for over three years and the reason I went was because of the in depth teaching. It is not a cult and they made some mistakes over the years. Over all, I would reccomend it for someone who wants to search out a religion because you will learn from there services, especially the readings on sunday. I wish they would allow more for the young people. The reading rooms are real nice too.
Contrary to what some say, they will go to doctors and use medicine. I think you will find only a few of the real old stern CS left out there.

Hey, what do you guys think about JW's? My girlfriend's been kinda hassled to attend a JW service, and she feels kind of guilty for not going (she promised some woman or another she'd go)...

There not...creepy...in any way, are they?

All I really know about them is that they reject the trinity and believe in soul sleep, so any information someone has about them would be really super! ;)

BluejayWay said:
And we do have a "quasi-Quaker" running about here--ISFP--C'mon, we need an insider's insights here!

sorry! i just now saw this thread, sorry!

yeah, Quakerism is kind of interesting. there are some Quakers who are very Christ centered, and some meetings (parishes or spiritual communities) are more Christ-centered than others. beliefs about Christ are diverse. some see him as the son of God whose death and ressurection took away sin and death, others see him as a unique spiritual teacher and role model, and others de-emphasise the historical importance of Christ.

i fall into that second category. most Quakers use the expression "inner light" to refer to that of God within us, something sacred deserving of respect through which we can draw closer to God. many Quakers generally see Christ's message as one of love and respect for that of God within all of us, through first naming himself as God's son and teaching that all of us are God's sons and daughters.

which is different, certainly, from the way it seems that many Christians think about Christ. side note, there are many Quakers who would not consider themselves Christians as many of their beliefs simply do not run alongside traditional Christianity. others call themselves Christians in spirit but not in doctrine, and others definately identify as Christian.

Back