New Thought

Paladin

Purchased Bewilderment
Reaction score
The New Thought movement pre-dates what is known as "New age" by nearly a century, though I have seen little reference to it here. Is there a reason it isn't mentioned? Would it offend if I asked if anyone studies it in any capacity?

This would include the writings of people like Emerson, Ernest Holmes, Thomas Troward, Emmet Fox, Joel Goldsmith et.al.

I currently attend sunday celebrations at a Church of Religious Science and find it refreshing and stimulating. Anyone else out there?

Peace and Love

I love New Age music, especially medhi, Enya, yanni, kitaro, etc.

I never heard of New Thought mouvement, or maybe I know it only as New age one.

Where are you from, Paladin ?

Is Church of Religious Science one of Rael ?

Hi Alexa,

Phineas P. Quimby is given the credit as the intellectual father of the New Thought Movement which began in the early 19th century. Basically it sees God in all and through all, and believes that we are all part of that Divine nature. As such we are all "Heirs to the Kingdom" as it were. The movement believes that God is all loving, all kindness, and goodness, and that suffering is of human origin. By changing the way we think, we can in effect change our life experience. This is a simplistic view, but if you Google any of this you can find out tons more.

BTW, I am from Colorado Springs, Colorado, and love Enya too :)

Peace and love
Mark

Paladin said:
The New Thought movement pre-dates what is known as "New age" by nearly a century, though I have seen little reference to it here. Is there a reason it isn't mentioned? Would it offend if I asked if anyone studies it in any capacity?

This would include the writings of people like Emerson, Ernest Holmes, Thomas Troward, Emmet Fox, Joel Goldsmith et.al.

I currently attend sunday celebrations at a Church of Religious Science and find it refreshing and stimulating. Anyone else out there?

Peace and Love
Druidic philosophy pre-dates New Thought/New Age by over 3000 years. So does Platonistic philosphy, as well as Historatal (sp), and other such original thinkers. There is nothing new about New Age/New Thought, but the generation that is regarding it. Not saying it is right or wrong, just not new.

If you want to look at origins, perhaps the Celts and TUuatha de DannANN philosphies might assist, since they lived such philophies (and died by them)...

But then, perhaps not.

my two rams for a she goat heavy with milk...;)

v/r

Q

Q,

You are, as always a fountain of knowledge! I am continually impressed by the sheer mass of information you have been able to cultivate and use. However in this instance I was hoping to discuss what has been historically called the "New Thought Movement" misnomer or not, it describes a body of work presented by several interesting people. Thomas Troward for example or even Ralph Waldo Emerson. Apparently there was some "bleed over" into New Thought by the Trancendetalists, though my research doesn't include Thoreau as a contributor. William James in Varieties of Religious Experience refers to it as the religion of healthy-mindedness, and apparently the writings of Ernest Holmes and Troward inspired people like Norman Vincent Peale as well.
So even if the philosophy conflicts with traditional Christianity, I think at least from the standpoint of the study of the Humanities the whole movement is interesting to an uncommon degree. At least for me:)

Paladin said:
...So even if the philosophy conflicts with traditional Christianity, I think at least from the standpoint of the study of the Humanities the whole movement is interesting to an uncommon degree. At least for me:)
I stand corrected. Please forgive my assumption...and please continue, as I am most interested in your thoughts on say Emerson, and N. Peale, from your perspective concerning the "philosophy" they present? (Thoreau too)

I think you are describing the gentleness of man's soul (or the capacity for such) To be more gentle than that of an angel's touch?

(third time editing this post, because I have questions and curiosity ;) )

v/r

Q

Last edited:
Thank you Q, you are a gentleman.

Ernest Holmes, who wrote The Science of Mind (now in it's 50th printing since 1938) was deeply inspired by the writings of Emerson,-not hard to imagine if you have read much of his work- Hopkins, Troward, and others lead him into his own investigation into this field of endeavor. As I understand it, the conflict with traditional views is that we, as the created, share in the Divine Nature. Most of the Christian community separates man from the Divine by what it refers to as "Original Sin" New Thought doesn't make this distinction, though it does not deny man's capacity for tragic error. What it does say, is that the closer we draw to our Divine source, the greater and more expansive will be our experience here in the physical. This would include prosperity, good health, good relationships, and a closer walk with God. Some of the writings, especially those of Phineas Quimby, are more to the point, and less poetic or mystical than those of Troward, and Holmes , but the principles are essentially the same.

It is this kind of thinking that originally boosted the positive thinking idea that Norman Vincent Peal espoused in his wonderful works. My Father used to keep books like that around the house when I was a child, so I grew up reading them, along with scripture.

Ideas like "The things I do so shall you also" and " The kingdom of God is within you" also, "Seek first the kingdom of God and all things shall be added unto you" show the Christian roots of many facets of the movement.

An offshoot of this movement started by Mary Baker Eddy, became known as Christian Science, though much of her method and ideas came from her association with Quimby, who originally helped her regain her health.

Hi Mark,

I checked on the net for Phineas P. Quimby and I don't know what to think. Mental healing and mesmerism. Interesting. He didn't like priests, doctors and politicians. Hmm. I don't like them either. :D

I have difficulties to see if there is any difference between New Thought movement and New Age. Is not the same thing, but up-dated 100 years later ? Maybe you can tell me ?

It's been a while since I promised to myself to read Emerson. I read only some quotes and liked them. I have to go to the library this week-end. I hope I can find something.

See you soon.:)

Hi Alexa,

As near as I can tell, the real difference between New Thought and New Age, is that while New Thought comprises a similar viewpoint in all of its offshoots ie, United church of Religious Science, Religious Science International et.al. New age, by comparison is, shall we say, a much larger umbrella.

New age doesn't seem to have a specific viewpoint as such, but covers a lot of ground, from Celtic, and druidic beliefs, to ancient Mayan religions, use of Crystals, belief in an assortment of charms, otherworldly beings etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not placing value judgements here, just trying to differentiate in what I hope is approaching a scholarly manner. The real difference in philosophies, is that while one may look within for the Kingdom, the other looks outside the self.

Oh, and by the way, this New Thought Movement, also shows up in Unity churches as well as Unitarian Universalists, thus the reference to Emerson who was a Unitarian minister.

Emmet Fox, who wrote The Sermon On the Mount, was a contemporary of Thomas Troward, and brought much of his ideas and methods to an American readership.

All of this comprises a very specific world view, and theological view somewhat different than traditional religion,though many ideas found in world religions could be applied, such as the "Noble Eightfold Path" of Buddhism for example.

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot. I learned something new today.:)

I found out about the Unitarian Universalists when I did a quiz on CR. There are several questions regarding your beliefs and in the end you are given in % the religion you should have. I was very suprised to obtain 100 % Liberal Quaker and 100 % Unitarian Universalists. I must say I was raised as a Christian Ortodox. So, I did a research on the net to find more about the two of them. It was interesting.

You are most welcome Alexa :)

Q, here is a link in case you need a good start point for research. I was amazed myself at the bulk of writing on this subject, which is why I felt that it was incumbent on me to share it here in this forum.

http://cornerstone.wwwhubs.com/

There we are. Objective reached, so now I can shut up already:)

this New Thought Movement, also shows up in Unity churches
I thought I recognized the phrase "New Thought"--as expressed through Unity, I find it a very appealing approach to spirituality. I haven't explored it as thoroughly as I'd like--thank you for the reminder!
The local Unity church is the warmest, most open congregation of any denomination I've ever attended. I had a palpable feeling of peace and the presence of God when I first walked through the door--leads me to believe they must be doing something right--

There are many old beliefs getting called new again. I was reading the website of a Breslover hasid who had been accused of being a New Ager by some modern folk but in truth there was nothing particularly new about what he believed, as he said. And although I myself would say that there were foreign influences that led to the development of his particular type of thought, it's still much older than what today is being called "new."

Q,

I am interested in what correlates you see in Celtic Druidism and the New Thought Movement. Weren't the Druids into multiple gods and deities? I would be delighted to read your ideas

Peace

Paladin said:
Q,

I am interested in what correlates you see in Celtic Druidism and the New Thought Movement. Weren't the Druids into multiple gods and deities? I would be delighted to read your ideas

Peace
I'd enjoy that, but it will have to wait until I get some shut eye. I'm beat tonight. ;)

v/r

Q

Paladin said:
Q,

Peace
Sorry I took so long Paladin, Got caught up in work and home, and had little time to reflect.

From my understanding of New Thought, it appears to be a move back towards Druidism. By this I mean New Thought seems to strive to combine Eastern and Western thought into one whole. Both New Thought and Celtic Druidism attempt to "divorce" self from the materialistic world, observe a pantheistic view, yet recognize the world as a divine construct, and the presence of the divine in daily living and healing. Both appear to concentrate on the energy force that makes up matter as opposed to the matter itself.

Both consider the divine to be around us, in us, and we are part of It.

For example, we shake or grasp hands. The thought in both camps would be "Where does my hand end and yours begin?" The answers is, they don't. We are one with eachother, and by extension, one with everything and everyone else that exists. Which means that every thing we do, affects all and effects change in everything else, even if we don't see it.

Is this what you were looking for? Let me know. ;)

v/r

Q

Q,

Yes, that is perfect thank you! About the materialistic world though, I am not sure how you define that idea, but Ernest Holmes in The Science of Mind points out that there is no dividing line between the spiritual and material, as one is an expression of the other.

From what little I understand about Quantum Physics, these ideas seem to be born out quite nicely. Though to be honest I saw the film Mind Walk and Liv Ullman's Character got me interested in that area of Science. Perusing The Tao of Physics leads me to believe in the validity of what I shall refer to as New Thought for lack of a more accurate term.

Hope all is well, and you aren't working too hard, thanks again for the information.

Peace

Back