Enoch

farhan

Reaction score
Salam & peace to all

I guess people following Abrahamic religions must be familiar with him . I wanted to ask about their views about him & the book of enoch , & what the bible says about him . I have also read about the similarities b/w Biblical Enoch , Greek Mercury/Hermes & Egyptian Thoth , & some connections to native americans too , so is there anything like that ?

I would also like to hear from people following Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism if there is some account of a man or diety b4 the flood of Noah .

Regards

-farhan

The Bible only devotes a couple of verses to Enoch, though he is often preached about in churches, etc. Enoch is viewed (at least by me) as one of the most righteous men in history. The Bible simply says this about Enoch:

Genesis 5:21-24 (NKJV)
21-Enoch lived sixty-five years, and begot Methuselah.
22-After he begot Methuselah, Enoch walked with God three hundred years, and had sons and daughters.
23-So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years.
24-And Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him.

In other words, my man Enoch walked so closely with God -- his relationship with God was so close, and Enoch was so righteous -- that God simply took him into Heaven. Enoch truly was a righteous man after God's own heart.

As for the Book of Enoch, I myself have not devoted much study to it, so I am not in a position to speak about its validity. I will say this, however: It is not in the Bible, so I would be hard-pressed to accept it as the Word of God.

The book was written about 200 BC.

Enoch was antediluvian, as you say he lived before the flood.

Therefore it is impossible that the book of Enoch was written by Enoch. It is pseudographia.

That is why it is not accepted by either Jews or Christians.

Enoch is quoted as a PROPHET in Jude (New Testament).

Jude 1: 14 It was of these also that Enoch in the seventh generation from Adam prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord came with his holy myriads, 15 to execute judgment on all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness which they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against him."

Since Enoch is credited for the above verse then there must be a source. The Book of Enoch has to have an origin beyond the copies found in the Dead Sea Scrolls. Since those are the earliest found, what were they based upon? Do we write off a bible printed yesterday fresh off the press because MOSES and all the other writers are not there to verify and proofread the newly printed ones?

I dont know how aunthentic or accurate the Book of Enoch is, I do give the possibility of it being copied as best someone could manage with what was vailable to work with.. How many books did survive the great flood anyways? NONE.

There are two books of Enoch: the Ethiopian and another one.

I read the Ethiopian one. It describes the visit of Enoch to hell and heaven, a bit like Dante's Divina Commedia.
It also talks about the fallen angels. They were the "sons of God", seduced by the "daughters of men". They came down from heaven to have sex with our women. Logical that the Vatican didn't admit this!

I`ve read both as well as the Book of Jubilees. I do believe there has to be some sort of validation to these books. I found the Book of Enoch to be quite an eye opening read. Noah was the worlds first albino. And Enoch predicted this to happen. At Noah`s birth, Noahs father panicked at the sight of his newborn son being so white skinned.

The book was written about 200 BC.

Enoch was antediluvian, as you say he lived before the flood.

Therefore it is impossible that the book of Enoch was written by Enoch. It is pseudographia.

That is why it is not accepted by either Jews or Christians.

if in fact it was impossible for enoch to have written the book of enoch, then how does one explain these verses:
Enoch 81:5 And those seven holy ones brought me and placed me on the earth before the door of my house, and said to me: ' Declare everything to thy son Methuselah, and show to all thy children that no 6 flesh is righteous in the sight of the Lord, for He is their Creator. One year we will leave thee with thy son, till thou givest thy (last) commands, that thou mayest teach thy children and record (it) for them, and testify to all thy children; and in the second year they shall take thee from their midst.
and also:
Enoch 82:1 And now, my son Methuselah, all these things I am recounting to thee and writing down for thee! and I have revealed to thee everything, and given thee books concerning all these: so preserve, my son Methuselah, the books from thy father's hand, and (see) that thou deliver them to the generations of the world.
now, as it states in Genesis, methuselah is noah's granddad, what is to say he didn't take these books with him in the ark?

Many books of the bible attributed to a certain author have their authorship in question....at a minimum the portion where they describe their deaths.

It also talks about the fallen angels. They were the "sons of God", seduced by the "daughters of men". They came down from heaven to have sex with our women. Logical that the Vatican didn't admit this!

Pretty hard for the Vatican to deny it, I would have thought, as it's in black and white in Sacred Scripture?

Thomas

Back