Is there any religion that does not oppose homosexuality?

julia

Reaction score
Dear friends,

the election of Joseph Ratzinger as Pope Benedict XVI has finally made me look for alternatives to my catholic faith. Please do not put me down for that - I can assure you that I have thought very long before making that decision and long even before the conclave.
I am now trying to find a spiritual community that shares my beliefs on certain points. One issue that is important to me is the attitude towards homosexuality. Astonishingly I could not find any religious community that does not in some way or other oppose, forbid or even condemn homosexuality. I wonder why. Or did I overlook a religious group?

I'd be very grateful if you could give me advice on this.

Julia

Namaste Julia,

I understand how you must feel right now, welcome to CR there are many wonderful people here who can direct you. Many Christian sects are open and affirming and would welcome you warmly. Unitarian, Unity, New Thought, United Church of Christ, Quaker are but a scant few who are more progressive in their outlook. Good to have you here, and enjoy your stay!

Peace

julia,

Have you tried looking at liberal forms of different religions? As I understand it there is even a progressive form of Catholicism but because of the centralization of authority the process becomes more difficult. But different forms of Christianity also have liberal forms sometimes.

Any Abrahamic religion is going to in its traditional form be opposed to homosexual behavior in some way, although each will express this opposition differently so it may be opposition to the act or the nature depending on the religion.

If you're looking to remain as close to Catholic practice as you can, liberal Episcopalian churches are often fine with homosexuality. Some have openly homosexual priests. Paladin listed a lot of the liberal Christian or Christian based religions. Apart from the Abrahamic faiths, many indigenous and earth-based religions have no problem at all with homosexuality. Many of those cultures considered homosexuality acceptable and normal, and some even thought it meant you were spiritually special in some way. Most of the modern earth-based religions are completely fine with homosexuality (Wicca, Druidry, etc.), but if you are most comfortable as a Catholic the belief systems and practices would probably be too different.

most religions actually don't oppose it, it's just that those who do are pretty much mainstream and far-fetched. I'd say all forms of Paganism and Eastern Religions don't have problems with homosexuality. Much of orthadox christianity and islam are against it, not sure about judaism, reform judaism is pretty much open to homosexuality though. Why not just be independant if you want to stay christian? And believe the way you desire to, instead of letting some congregation tell you what's right and wrong? Do you need to belong to a certain church or organization to feel spiritual? of course not! You are the Church! follow your heart and the heart of God, for that is where you'll find the real Church! :)

The United Church of Christ openly admits gays and lesbians. In the Presbyterian Church (USA) there are "More Light" churches, that openly oppose the official denominational stance against homosexuality.

The is also the MCC Metropolitan Community of Christ, i think. They are an active pro-gay church.

For the record, if you came to my church, you would be accepted, even though our official rules would bar you from a leadership position....for now.

Note: To various posters - your posts have been removed and this thread split at the point where Conscience posted the inappropriate post. That post has been removed as it is not permitted by the Code of Conduct. The following posts were removed because they wouldn't make sense...

PLEASE, if you think a post is inappropriate, alert the moderators by clicking on the ! icon next to the post number in the thread, rather than responding directly (or at least in addition to). That way we can pull the post and deal with it.

As a reiteration of the policy - posts which are attacking other members (or even groups) will not be permitted. Repeat offenders will be banned. I'll post Brians much better statement when I find it again... he said it a LOT better than I do.

Found the link: (At least I think it's the right one - look for the last post)
http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2621

Last edited:
Read the linked message from Brian, Conscience. Last warning - you WILL be banned (again) if you continue the behavior.

julia-

i'm sorry this new pope has been less than accpeting of gay folks an dtheir relationships.

as Paladin said, Quakers are generally accepting of differences in sexual orientation and gender identity. my own meeting has a number of same-sex couples who attend regularly. some Lutheran churches are also accepting, and the Lutheran church is now considering ordaining men and women in long-term, same-sex realtionships. pretty exciting!

What link? And, why are you so up tight? Why dont you ask the girl that posted the topic, I bet you she didnt think I was being disrespectuful. Why is it disrespectful for you? Everyone else seems to see that I was not, but you seem to know different.

Prehaps you missed something? Why not read it again?

This is not the place for debate on this - and I do suggest you re-read Brian's messages to you. Your contributions have been valuable, but you have been warned repeatedly about certain behaviors which will cause banning.

This is Brians site.. He is the big boss here. I know it chaffs some people to think that they have to censor themselves but Brian has gone a long ways in creating a place where people can discuss religion in a respectful tolerant manner.

The thread he posted his message to you from is "did I do something to get banned from this site?" which can be found under feedback in the general section. Just in case you havent read it.. here it is.

I said:
If you want to preach at other Christians, and tell the world that you're the only "real" Christian, then Geocities will let you open up a website for free to do it.

CR isn't a place to do it.

Christians are welcome to evangelise, share their experiences, discuss their outlook on faith - but being present simply to use CR as a personal soapbox will get you banned real quick.

So far you've showed a decent restraint - anybody can be forgiven a mistake mended. But you need to ask yourself whether your here because you want to tell other Christians how wrong they are - because if so you're in the wrong webspace. If you want to share faith with other Christians, because as a new Christian you want to maybe even learn something from the other Christians on this board, then maybe you'll fit in fine after all.

In addition:

Questioning the site staff and simply complaining about being chastised without trying to understand why action was previously taken is not a good move. There are preferred ways to behave in any community environment. If you can take that on board here, then you are welcome. But if not, then that's your choice. The Code of Conduct may be a good place to get a good idea of the basic guidelines for the site:
http://www.comparative-religion.com...-of-conduct.php

In general, just respect that other people here will have different views to your own - but just accept that, rather than reach for the soap box. :)

Hope that helps.

Hi Julia....thank you for an interesting yet controvertial question to the board.

I am a memeber of the United Methodist Church, the position is to accept members that are homosexual, although they have not as yet....(at least to my knowledge ordained a homosexual pastor).
That being said, the methodists view it as wrong with the idea of disapprove of the sin and love the sinner....that is my understanding of the view.

I think that your question is great becauses it raises several great questions in itself. The old testament speaks of not man not laying with man, and folks who are against homosexuality are quick to single out a verse in the old testament, without taking into account the mercy and grace of Christ, who to the best of my knowledge loves everybody and died for everybody.

Example: the news at the moment is full of the guy who raped and then burried alive the little girl in Florida. My reaction is the same as almost everyones.....lets kill this guy, he deserves it. But then I have to ask myself about my beliefs. Christ died for everyone (in reguards to your question, Christ died for homosexual sinners, as well as the straight sinners), and Christ can even forgive and accept this individual that did this horriffic thing to this little girl. The issue is, (even if homosexuality is a sin) Christ died for all sins, including the sins of those who commit incredibly evil acts.

I guess what I find intersting about your question is that there is a certain amount of hiprocacy in condeming homosexuals. I personally do not agree with homosexualtiy, but the fact is I have enough of my own sins (lust, anger, envy) just to name a few, that I cannot condemn the homosexual even though I do not necessarily agree with it. This is what Jesus was talking about when he said that before you remove the speck out of your brothers eye, you should take the plank out of your own.

Another thing that I find interesting, is do people of faith actually like to jump on things that we disagree with (homosexuality) or that we view as incrediblly evil (the guy who killed the little girl in Florida)? Side note....(PLEASE DO NOT THINK I AM EQUATING THE TWO AS THE SAME THING, they are merely examples). What I mean by this....Is do the sins and perceived wrong doings of others take the pressure off our own sins and allow us to feel better about ourselves, and overlook our own sins (aka...wrongdoings). Sin is sin, Christ died for all sins, and murder is not any worse than the lust, anger and envy that rears its ugly head in my heart on occasion, so I am actually finding it very hard to be jugemental of what I think is wrong in others. I love the fact that I believe that Christ died for me, but I also have to be aware of the fact that Christ died for all sinners, not just me.

Julia, I apologize, this isnt really an answer to your question, but I found it a great way expand on some things that I have been thinking about....I will say this about your question....if you are struggling with something talk to God about it. We all have things that we struggle with and all we can do is talk to God and and try and discern his will and follow it the best we can with the realization that we will fall short, but that is where grace is at its best.

folks....if this thought process should be in a different thread...please let me know.

the janitor

Hi Janitor, I appreciate the honest thinking you've shared here. It's so much easier to say this is right or wrong, or this is what God wants or doesn't want than to express our struggle to really understand grace.

Julia, others here have mentioned the Episcopal church and I would also say that you might consider checking out the Episcopal churches near you. The church I go to is welcoming and supportive of same sex couples and I think this is the majority view, well at least most are neutral if not supportive. However, not all congregations are as supportive or welcoming and you probably have already thought to check out the controversy over our gay Bishop and same sex couple blessings. The Episcopal church USA has decided not to ordain any bishops (regardless of gender or orientation) until further consultation and concord with the Anglican Communion is reached. best wishes if you do decide to search for a new spiritual home.

lunamoth

As dauer rightly points out above, the more traditional or "orthodox" branches of Abrahamic religions are not going to be very welcoming of homosexuality (although they may still be welcoming of homosexuals, if you see the difference). But the "liberal" or "egalitarian" branches can take a much broader and more open view on this subject.

In addition to the gay-accepting and specifically gay-identified Christian churches already mentioned, there are also gay-accepting and specifically gay-identified Jewish synagogues (Congregation Beth Simchat Torah here in NYC is probably the largest).

Many reform, and some conservative, synagogues, also, are very accepting and open in this area. The congregation of which I'm a member, for example, is a Conservative Egalitarian Jewish congregation (oy, how confusing the terminology!) affiliated with the United Synagogue of America, and we have absolutely no opposition to homosexual people or behavior. Our Rabbi is gay, as are many of our members, and discussion and debate about the issue is open and active.

julia said:
Dear friends,

the election of Joseph Ratzinger as Pope Benedict XVI has finally made me look for alternatives to my catholic faith. Please do not put me down for that - I can assure you that I have thought very long before making that decision and long even before the conclave.
I am now trying to find a spiritual community that shares my beliefs on certain points. One issue that is important to me is the attitude towards homosexuality. Astonishingly I could not find any religious community that does not in some way or other oppose, forbid or even condemn homosexuality. I wonder why. Or did I overlook a religious group?

I'd be very grateful if you could give me advice on this.

Julia
Dear Julia,
It is a grace that you have to ask for advice and not shut the door.
I can only offer the advice that will bring the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ on you to reveal the truth. What is more important is that you have direct relationship with Jesus Christ. Pray to him as follows and he will guide you.

"Dear Lord Jesus, I do not know all the truths but I invite you into my heart and guide me always." That should be it.

John 14

15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you. 18 "I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you.

26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Thank you very much for your posts and helpful information! I really think CR is a great place.

All the best,

Julia

Thanks for your reply!

Quote: Many reform, and some conservative, synagogues, also, are very accepting and open in this area. The congregation of which I'm a member, for example, is a Conservative Egalitarian Jewish congregation (oy, how confusing the terminology!) affiliated with the United Synagogue of America, and we have absolutely no opposition to homosexual people or behavior. Our Rabbi is gay, as are many of our members, and discussion and debate about the issue is open and active.

I'm interested: How do you align the tolerance of homosexual relationships or practices with the mosaic laws about sexual behavior? Or how do you decide which laws to take literally and which to discard as outdated?

Thank you!°

Julia

Back