Multi-Religional?

Raz0rClean

Half-Bloomed Lotus
Reaction score
I'm researching to find what religion is right for me. For some reason, Buddhism is starting to just /feel/ right, with no real explanations. Meditation is a practice I've been doing for some years now, so that could possibly be part of it. I feel output, however, because no place around where I live consists of buddhists. (My community would not mind, but there is no one to really learn from). During my search for the proper religion, however, I found that several religions had some parts that I felt were absolutely correct, and right for me, while they had some parts that seemed otherworldly to me. Is there a name for someone who beleives in parts of nearly all religions, but all of one? Buddhism is looking pretty solid to me, as I said, but I never know when I will find something that I completely do not agree with.

Raz0rClean said:
I'm researching to find what religion is right for me. For some reason, Buddhism is starting to just /feel/ right, with no real explanations. Meditation is a practice I've been doing for some years now, so that could possibly be part of it. I feel output, however, because no place around where I live consists of buddhists. (My community would not mind, but there is no one to really learn from). During my search for the proper religion, however, I found that several religions had some parts that I felt were absolutely correct, and right for me, while they had some parts that seemed otherworldly to me. Is there a name for someone who beleives in parts of nearly all religions, but all of one? Buddhism is looking pretty solid to me, as I said, but I never know when I will find something that I completely do not agree with.

Welcome to CR, Raz0rClean! I think you'll find a number of folks here searching around as well - there are several threads scattered about where folks talk about their religious wanderings (one good one is "How did you choose", as well as the introductions board) (There's also a quiz a lot of us have taken that was fun -in the thread "Choosing Your Religion" at http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23 )

Ah thank you a thousand times over! You have helped a great deal. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by, and thank you for welcoming me. I wish peace for you and your people.

Ah! Thank you. I found it doing a google search for "Monk Avatar". I beleive your avatar is quite interesting as well :D

Raz0rClean said:
Welcome to this lovely, diverse forum! Is there a name for what you described?-sure it's called being true to yourself. Obviously, I tend to share your proclivities. Take care, Earl

Ah! Nice to meet you then, Earl. I love your signature, It exemplifies exactly what I was thinking.

Raz0rClean said:
That's fine. Like Confucianists, Buddhists can also be members of other religions. There's a book that covers this very topic (amoung numerous others) - The New Buddhism by Someone Coleman. Throw the title into Amazon and you'll be able to get the author name.

There weren't so many Christian Buddhists, but there were a fair few Jewish Buddhists. The author believes that Jewish people relate well to Buddhists because in the the US, at least, they're used of not being the dominat religion with a lot of media attention.

I don't think you need to find the religion that is right for you. The idea of finding a religion that you most agree with and then following that religion does not make sense to me because you will never fully agree with it. (if you do, you are not thinking for yourself, IMO) You should have your own beleifs and use your good sense to find what you beleive to be the truth.

just my 2 cents

StarshipEnterprise said:
I don't think you need to find the religion that is right for you. The idea of finding a religion that you most agree with and then following that religion does not make sense to me because you will never fully agree with it. (if you do, you are not thinking for yourself, IMO) You should have your own beleifs and use your good sense to find what you beleive to be the truth.

just my 2 cents
Being from Iowa, I assume you only "work in outer space, right?" (with your Avatar and pen name)...I just had to ask...:D

Hey, at least I didn't inquire as to whether your last name might be "Kirk"...

You do know what "Qua'Hom" means, right?

v/r

Q

Back