Cain's wife...thoughts?

JonMarc said:
so....bandit....here i go!!
LOL go for it;) that is one reason why they have this place for us, to share our beliefs without feeling discarded. i am a pretty good listener & head nodder & I really do try to understand what others are seeing.

hanging out here is a lot of fun.
just so long as they dont try to take away our prayer life, our bibles & our Jesus.:)

Ok.. I agree with Stephan.. First off.. God commanded Adam and Eve to populate the earth and before they were ousted from Eden you have to remember that they were in perfect bodies able to survive for eternity they were to never know death. So... following Gods command they began populating the earth.. how many children do you think someone could have in 1000 years... and how many children could those children have in 1000 years.. and those children and those children and those children etc.. Just because Cain and Abel are the first listed descendents of Adam does NOT mean they were the first children. They were just the first ones that had any relevancy to history at that time.

If you can grasp that sin is what corrupted their bodies you can grasp that they had perfect genes and perfect DNA till sin began corrupting these things in subsequent generations when God finally said no more incest. You would have to believe that God can do anything.

I believe the bible is literal except when words are used like "like unto"

First born, and second born...over and over first born gets his butt kicked, however the second born gets God's favor. First born hurts and the second born gets hurt...ouch.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Don't get me wrong...I bend knee at my wife's waist. But I know I run the roost as well...
so long as your wife does not read this line it should be smooth seas and steady winds! haha
i once thought i ran the roost... until i realized she was running out of the roost from time to time... alas, some things cannot be.

Faithfulservant said:
Just because Cain and Abel are the first listed descendents of Adam does NOT mean they were the first children. They were just the first ones that had any relevancy to history at that time.
interesting we make exactly the same point. i simply make it about God's creating of lives while you make it about adam and eve's *assisted* creating of lives.

perfect bodies, perfect dna, and then sin? or sin therefore imperfect bodies, imperfect dna? after all, they did sin inside the garden, when they were still supposed to be 'perfect' yes?
i dunno...

*nods head*..... just not the same effect as in real life eh bandit?
amen brother

When they sinned in Eden.. it wasnt just BAM! your corrupt and going to die before your 60 from cancer diabetes heart disease or whatever.. I believe it was a generational thing.. if you look at the following generations in the bible you see how their life spans were shortened.

gen 5:5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.

gen 5:8 So all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years; and he died.

gen 5:11 So all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years; and he died.

gen 5:14 So all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years; and he died.

gen 5:17 So all the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred and ninety-five years; and he died.

gen 5:27 So all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty-nine years; and he died.

gen 5:31 So all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and seventy-seven years; and he died.

gen 9:29 So all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years; and he died.

After the Flood

gen 11:32 So the days of Terah were two hundred and five years, and Terah died in Haran.

gen 25:17 These were the years of the life of Ishmael: one hundred and thirty-seven years; and he breathed his last and died, and was gathered to his people.

Num 33:39 Aaron was one hundred and twenty-three years old when he died on Mount Hor.

Jos 24:29 Now it came to pass after these things that Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the Lord, died, being one hundred and ten years old.

2Ch 24:15 But Jehoiada grew old and was full of days, and he died; he was one hundred and thirty years old when he died.

Kindest Regards, all!

Very interesting conversation so far. I think a lot hinges on “truth” versus “fact.” Since there is no direct evidence of the existence of Eden, it is really difficult to say with any certainty. Since I try to bring my understanding of truth into line with fact, I go with what can be shown using extra-Biblical supports to align my beliefs with fact so that my belief is not merely blind acceptance. I also realize this course is not for everybody, I don’t expect to sway anyone here. I am merely presenting my understanding, using some supposition, especially in my regarding Adam and Eve as historical people who actually did exist. I want to believe they were real people, not an allegorical myth to explain some episode in human development. That said…

Bandit said:
And Adam 'knew' Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
Ah, but did you notice Adam is not mentioned? Eve bare a son, yes, but not by Adam. Notice especially that Cain is not included in the genealogy of Adam. Because the Bible is the (hi)story of the descendents of Adam.

Bandit said:
Genesis 7:21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:

Genesis 7:22 All in whose nostrils [was] the breath of life, of all that [was] in the dry [land], died.

Genesis 7:23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained [alive], and they that [were] with him in the ark.
This requires a bit of a stretch of imagination. The “whole” earth was all of the earth, and then some, that these people, the descendents of Adam, knew. Indeed, a lot of the earth was covered no doubt, and there are evidences around that demonstrate massive flooding. But not everywhere. I mentioned Australia. How does one explain how such diverse animals as kangaroos, koalas, tasmanian devils and other creatures unique only to Australia got there? On the Ark? Then to get off and cross an ocean? And leave no trace anywhere else? I have a hard time reconciling that.

queenofsheba said:
"Adam" means "man"
“Adam” means “man of red earth” or “red clay,” possibly owing to the ruddy complexion as much as the constitution. “Ashes to ashes and dust to dust…”

Bandit said:
…the people before Adam would be under the curse of death because of Adams trangression & several other complications in the scripture.
Why?

Look at the days of creation. The first five days end “and it was good.” The sixth day creation, the “hunter-gatherers,” the “Adam” without the article, ended with “and it was very good.” My emphasis, the word is in the manuscripts. By contrast, the eighth day creation, “ha-Adam,” the man Adam, was created to tend the garden. This marked the dawn of agriculture. I have shown over and again how important this is to human development. Before ha-Adam, there was no man to till the soil. The sixth day creation were outside of the promise and obligation made to and of the man we know as Adam. The sixth day creation, like all of wild nature, were created innocent and perfect, just the way God intended, even if we do not understand His ways. The fall of Adam and Eve may have affected all of creation, including the sixth day humans, but they were not born that way.

Look at the curses: Adam would earn his bread by the sweat of his brow; weeds, thorns and thistles would plague his efforts. Eve would travail in labor. (Morton wrote an interesting piece dealing with this that I referenced quite some time ago on another thread, having to do with the size of the infant skull and the fact human infants are so slow to mature in comparison with other creatures of comparable size and weight) And the serpent, who until that time walked about on legs like humans, was cursed to crawl on his belly. I don’t think this was all snakes, but snake anatomy is interesting, they have residual hips and limbs.

mynameisstephen said:
Many skeptics have claimed that, for Cain to find a wife, there must have been other ‘races’ of people on the Earth who were not descendants of Adam and Eve.

To many people, this question is a stumbling block to accepting the creation account in Genesis and its record of only one man and woman at the beginning of history
Perhaps for some, I will not disagree. There are those who will find any excuse they can to disagree with the teachings of the Bible. However, I will state emphatically and for the record, this is not my motivation. I no longer find this a “stumbling block” in my walk.

Bandit said:
some feel that even the serpant/Satan procreated with Eve (but we cross the line there with THAT WHICH IS BORN OF FLESH IS FLESH...)
That is fine, you know I value your opinion. I have heard such teaching before. In my walk I find it difficult to justify rationally after some of the other things I have pointed out. If the serpent were indeed Satan, which may or may not be, it only further justifies what I have been saying, that prior to the curse he was not only able to, but did procreate with Eve. It is for that transgression that he was cursed as much or more than the opening of the eyes to “good and evil.” As has been pointed out by you and others, God had a purpose in mind for Adam and his descendents from the beginning. And at the beginning, the serpent (Satan) tried to derail the process. In some small way he succeeded, at least until Jesus.

JonMark said:
the line of adam are the only ones who can be saved... they are the only ones who need saving, as they are the only ones cursed by adam's sin.
I want to say first that you are very astute, and have managed to capture a great deal of nuance in your understanding. I agree with a great deal of what you have to say in this regard. However, here I will take a minor issue. Why would God not save the creation prior to Adam? Especially if it was very good? If all flesh was preserved alive in the Ark, it could be argued some of the sixth day creation also went along for the ride. Personally, I think many were spared the ravages of the flood by reason of where they were at.

The descendents of Adam concern the monotheistic races. The rest are as God intended. I can see here some of the things bananabrain has been saying all along about how the Jewish Laws are not contingent upon those who are not Jews, who are only required to observe the Noahide Laws, which roughly correspond with what I call “common human decency.”

There is something path of one said, I guess it was in another thread, dealing with pigmentation of the skin in peoples from the Northern and Southern hemispheres, and how peoples were darker coming from the South because of harsher sunshine, or something to that extent. This is something I struggle with as well. If the implications are correct, and I haven’t looked closely at the data, then Neandertal would have been the fair skinned races, and Cro-Magnon would have been the darker skinned races. In the stuff I have posted elsewhere, time and again Neandertal is shown to have been in the North in the depths of the Ice Age, while the relative new-comers, the Cro-Magnon, were invaders from the South. Something to think about…modern humans then would all be descended from the African races, yet the depictions in the biology books show otherwise…

So yes, Bandit, sometimes even Darwin must be looked at with questioning eyes, perhaps our biology books still contain a great deal of myth…

But the point of Adam and Eve still is not lost on me. Whether literal or symbolic, they represent the beginning of the promise to which I find myself aligned. And historically they represent the landmark moment of the “opening of the eyes,” the dawn of the agricultural revolution, without which modern humanity would still be living in caves.

That is fine, you know I value your opinion. I have heard such teaching before. In my walk I find it difficult to justify rationally after some of the other things I have pointed out. If the serpent were indeed Satan, which may or may not be, it only further justifies what I have been saying, that prior to the curse he was not only able to, but did procreate with Eve. It is for that transgression that he was cursed as much or more than the opening of the eyes to “good and evil.” As has been pointed out by you and others, God had a purpose in mind for Adam and his descendents from the beginning. And at the beginning, the serpent (Satan) tried to derail the process. In some small way he succeeded, at least until Jesus.
A thought occurred to me after I posted: Why would the serpent be so concerned with the new-comers in the Garden? And not the 6th day creation? Why seduce Eve "shortly" after her creation, when there must have been plenty of other women available? It gives me pause to consider...

Thank You for explaining Juan, but yes i do believe it says Adam knew her, just prior to her having Cain & of course he would not be in the geneology because Jesus came through the righteous seed via Seth & not Cain.

I suppose what you call blind acceptance & stretch of imagination, I would call faith & that nothing is impossible with God.
I think it only takes a tablespoon of water for someone to drown on & one little boat to move the rest...

Thank You again for explaining where you are getting your thoughts from. I do appreciate that.:)

juantoo3 said:
A thought occurred to me after I posted: Why would the serpent be so concerned with the new-comers in the Garden? And not the 6th day creation? Why seduce Eve "shortly" after her creation, when there must have been plenty of other women available? It gives me pause to consider...
hehehe....

regarding cain's birth and cain's fatherhood...
as (i believe) bandit pointed out elsewhere in this thread or another, the words used to describe cain's conception and enoch's are identical save the name's of course. and seth's birth, minus the words 'and she concieved,' is also the same. which is why i do not see cain's birth as being of any other than adam.

every other man in the geneology to noah lived x number of years, and had many children, other than the ones specific to the line down to noah. in noah's life this line about having many more children is omitted. because he did not have other children aside from the three sons? or though he did, omitted on purpose? because they were not brought onto the ark? just a few thoughts. and if he did other children, no mention of noah taking any daughters onto the ark, he took his sons and his son's wives. kind of find these things interesting myself.

juan made a good point which i think applies to many who have posted on this topic. many of us combine what we know or can learn from history, geology, etc. to construct our personal beliefs on many of the 'gray areas' so to speak. it is my belief that we do not get the whole story in genesis. i feel 100% confident things transpired that were not written there. it is my feeling that they were omitted because, as others have said, they did not apply. the bible relates to adam, his relation to God (Jesus), his and His, respectively, relation to us. Therefore, while i may have 'blind-faith' that the events which transpired in genesis so happened according to The Scripture, i also use non-biblical knowledge (like things people have said in this thread :) ) to supplement it, thus formulating these ideas i have. i feel like i'm being awfully repetetive here in i'm just repeating what others are saying, but feel the need to clarify my stance.

a word of advice for those of you who live in hot places...
do not leave your bible open and lay your arm across it while typing out these posts, lest you tear pages from it unintentionally as i have. :mad:

Certainly using outside sources is relevant & I am all for it until they contradict the scriptures. What scientist think they have discovered today can be washed down the tubes in the next discovery.

I dont even hold to all the History that is out there in other books, but I am still open to hearing. Gods ways are not our ways & His logic is not our Logic.
When we need physical proof for our beliefs (which is good concerning material), we still should be sure we are not looking at something different than walking by faith... & it is this way on purpose.

If He wants to stop the earth from spinning for a day & keep everything in tact, He can do it.

Noah did it by faith. He did not ask for proof.
I for one would have been there helping him instead of questioning him or mocking him, or waiting to see how much rain came down before I believed.

Even Jesus said, the blood of Abel would be required by this generation. & he also said an evil & adulterous generation shall seek for a sign & there will be no sign given...except for that of the prophet Jonah (paraphrased)

& Jesus is the only sign we are going to get.

The bible does not lie.:)

Bandit said:
Jesus is the only sign we are going to get.

The bible does not lie.:)
again i say...Amen brother.

i seek only to find an historical setting that makes sense to me, based off of what is, and is not, in the Bible.

Kindest Regards, Bandit and JonMarc!

Have I opened a can of worms?

At no time have I attempted to discredit the Bible, I accept its teachings as truth by which to guide my life. Some people are content not to question, that is fine, I really have no problem with that position. I understand how it can make a person's life and walk a whole lot easier to simply accept without question.

God made me to question. I have since I was a kid, and probably will for the rest of my life. If God is real, and I believe He is, then He can handle being questioned, if the questions are asked in the correct manner and with the right motivation. I cannot prove God exists, but my personal experiences lead me to believe He does, so in the end my questions are my meager attempt to "prove" His existence.

You are correct, in that in the final analysis, the important things are covered in the Bible, and the rest is superfluous and ultimately unimportant. I do not stay awake at night agonizing over these things. I realize I may be off base here and there, I am not trying to create a new doctrine. I am only trying to flesh out the old doctrine in an attempt to better understand. Questioning minds do these kinds of things.

In the world in which we now live, with so many "scientific," "rational" and "logical" attacks against the Bible, very many with evidence as proof that lead people to dismiss the Bible as myth, I find myself wanting to demonstrate that the Bible is not illogical or irrational, that there is factual evidence that corresponds to the Bible which reinforces my belief rather than undermining it. It does require a lot of effort, most people are more comfortable in one camp or the other, accepting without question either that the Bible is or is not "real," in the sense of truth vs. fact. Even if some portion of the Bible may possibly be myth, myth serves a very real purpose in human development and typically has some foundation in factual truth. (This is usually overlooked by scholarship, unless it directly serves their purpose at which time they are quick to remind of this) If myth has a basis in fact, then belief can be supported factually, and spirit can be argued to be a reality. IMHO, anyway.

There is much we do not know. There is much religion does not know, just as there is much science does not know. As a person, an individual, I intuitively and experiencially know things that I cannot prove with either religion or science. But to the extent that I can with what is known, I try to harmonize science and religion. A futile effort perhaps, but it makes for a hobby to keep me out of trouble. :)

Hi and Peace--

Lots of interesting speculation here! I don't think God minds, JonMarc:), as long as we don't lose sight of the heart of His Word.

I'd like to add a thought to the conversation, but let me preface it by saying it is just that--a thought. I am not saying it is the answer.

A couple of you have touched on this idea a little bit, but I'll expand a bit. I think it is important to remember that all through the Old Testament, God refers to the Hebrew people as His "chosen" people. Of course, as a Christian, I believe that the main purpose for this was to preserve and record the bloodline of the Messiah. But I have often thought that there might also be a subsequent, yet related, reason for it--that being simply that it is through the Hebrew lineage that God chose to tell the story of humankind. This could allow for the other races, especially when we realize how ancient the original language we are attempting to interpret really is, and how a term like "all life" might have come down through the ages with a different spin here and there. Now before anyone gets upset.....remember I said that this is only speculation.:)

I believe the Word of God is inspired and guarded by God. I do not believe that God would let something happen to change the core Truth of His message--and even if He did allow it, He would not hold those misled by it accountable. This may sound crazy to some, but I believe that it is both literal and symbolic. ( LOL--I know, here I go again with all that connection between Spirit and logic.) I believe it is layered, allegorical, symbolic, literal and true--after all, I believe God created literature, and His is like none other, because He is God.

Anyway, just thought I would toss this out here--seemed like the right place.

(Oh, I almost forgot--Q? What about Esther, Rahab, Magdalene, Deborah (not Rachel's handmaid--the other one), and others like Dorcas and Priscilla? Perhaps I just am not understanding what you are saying--might be an interesting thread in itself.)

InPeace,
InLove

InLove said:
(Oh, I almost forgot--Q? What about Esther, Rahab, Magdalene, Deborah (not Rachel's handmaid--the other one. I might not understand what you are saying--might be an interesting thread in itself.)

InPeace,
InLove
All played important parts in our Biblical history, as help meets or (helpmates).

However, you are correct, my orginal post doesn't belong here, it's off topic.

v/r

Q

Hmmm--I see what you mean, Q, I think. LOL--"Off-topic" is my job, though!:)

InPeace,
InLove

We are not told at what age, Cain and Able began to sacrifice the fruits of their respective labors to God. We are told that Adam and Eve had many children in the 900 plus years of their lives.

If Adam and Eve were perfect in form (no dna defects), then the children they bore would most likely carry the same flawless DNA sequences. Their children could intermarry without fear of passing on or compounding a DNA defect. Therefore expansion over the Earth of a population of Humans could be quite rapid within a thousand years time (or even 500 years time). It seems to me that the "DNA defects" began about the time that the Nephilim came into being, which we are told eventually corrupted the entire Human race...

A foreign DNA was introduced into the Human gene pool. We became bodily corrupted.

Something to consider...;)

v/r

Q

i think the standard jewish answer to this is that it was his sister, which was all very well at the beginning pre-noachide period, but that that doesn't mean anyone else is allowed to marry his sister. jacob married two sisters and that isn't allowed either.

i think Q's explanation is also a very creative response and one i shall look into further. remember, adam's an archetype/primordial construct, so the logistics of how exactly this might have worked aren't really terribly important unless of course you're a biblical literalist, but then again y'all know what i think about literalism and the Creation stories, so i won't launch that particular torpedo yet again.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back