hell and satan

dayaa

Reaction score
hello everyone:)

i wondered could someone please explain, as christianity is based on (or fulfills) the old testament (jewish scriptures), why do christians have such a different concept of hell and satan from the jewish perspective?

also i would like to ask why do christians try to follow the 10 commandments + jesus rather than the 7 noahide laws + jesus?

thankyou:)

from what i can see, we do go by the 7 laws & by the 10 laws & by the whatever laws were given by Jesus & the Apostles.

The U.S. Congress officially recognized the Noahide Laws in legislation which was passed by both houses. Congress and the President of the United States, George Bush, indicated in Public Law 102-14, 102nd Congress, that the United States of America was founded upon the Seven Universal Laws of Noah, and that these Laws have been the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization. They also acknowledged that the Seven Laws of Noah are the foundation upon which civilization stands and that recent weakening of these principles threaten the fabric of civilized society, and that justified preoccupation in educating the Citizens of the United States of America and future generations is needed. For this purpose, this Public Law designated March 26, 1991 as Education Day, U.S.A.
"Therefore my judgment is that we don't trouble those from among the Gentiles who turn to God ..... For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay no greater burden on you than these necessary things: that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality, from which if you keep yourselves, it will be well with you. Farewell" -- (Acts 15:19, 28-29).

the rest is in the other parts of the N.T.

as for the other question, nothing changed. not only does the NT fulfill the OT, but is also expounds on the OT, which in reality is a dead end without Jesus & him getting the victory over death, hell & the grave.

i reccomend reading & studying the whole bible for yourself & make your own conclusions.:)

Dayaa has a very solid point. Why are Christians of one mind while Judeac and Islamic beliefs of a different mind? The answer is a leap of faith.

Up and to a point, Belief in God was based on rational/reasonable input and outcome. Specific and unbreakable laws, and nothing else if you will. Everything was logical.

Then the Christians came, with their "leaps beyond logic" to arrive at conclusions that can not be grounded in fact.

To "know" without steps leading up to that knowledge, is rather hard for some to take, and harder to answer. For those who "understand" no explanation is necessarry. And for those who do not have the understanding (or are capable of), no explanation is satisfactory, or possible.

As for hell, and satan...we only have to look at ourselves and our behaviors to see the microcosim of what is going on around us. We mimic what we sense.

my two cents.

v/r

Q

I actually agree with the Jewish concepts, more or less. I believe hell is a state of being without God, and I don't believe in eternal punishment or damnation. I believe one will continue to be in hell until we turn toward God, whether in this life or the next. I'm pretty open-ended in how I view the afterlife. As for Satan, I believe there are two things at work here- 1. Satan in the Jewish meaning, as adversary (which I agree with Jews was not a fallen angel, but rather a test of our faith and moral fiber) and 2. Satan as a metaphor for evil forces- those who willingly and spitefully commit sin, harm others, and go against God. I believe humans and various spirit-entities have free will and can choose evil over good, and this creates a force in the world opposing God. I don't believe in a literal Devil as a fallen angel. I came to these conclusions after studying the Bible and reading rabbis' comments on the Jewish scriptures. I do not, however, think either of these beliefs are necessary for salvation, so it doesn't bother me that most Christians don't see things this way.

As for the Noahide laws, they're pretty basic, but as an anthropologist, I still think they are ethnocentric unless they are defined by the society in question. For example, what is incest? Seems basic to us, but the reality is that many societies do not define some of your first cousins as relatives at all- so, they're fine to marry. What is adultery? In the US, we have an idea of one man, one woman marriage. But in many cultures, many women may be married to one man or vice versa- is adultery defined as extramarital affairs through deception, or sex with more than one partner, or extramarital sex (without deception, as "open" marriages allow)? Blasphemy and idolatry is even more difficult to define. After all, all the other cultures of the earth didn't know the Jewish God. Idolatry is the worship of false gods, but if you believe you're worshipping the real/true god- who gets to decide if it's idolatry? Many Jews now believe Christians are idolators for worshipping Jesus- are they right? Are we? And obviously not too many people have ever kept the law against committing bloodshed- the history of humanity is a history of war.

I believe unless each culture defines these terms on it's own, we get into a sticky situation. As far as I know, Jews are pretty tolerant of other culture's practices, but I don't know how they understand the Noahide laws- do they define what adultery is for the other cultures, etc.? Or how do these get applied? Maybe I'll ask over at the Judaism forum if someone doesn't pop in here and help clarify.

Personally, I think the summary to love God with all one's heart and to love neighbor as oneself pretty much sums it up- all good moral action springs from these two, and efforts toward those ends are in all cultures of the world.

hello again and thanks bandit and quahom for the responses.
that's interesting that the us recognizes the noahide laws. in the uk no one seems to have even heard of them, and that includes priests!
concerning reading the bible for myself, that's exactly what i am doing....but having made a good start, nevertheless i found the volume and information a bit overwhelming and decided to do some reading "about" and a bit of research first, then go back to it, knowing what i am looking for. i am now getting to the stage where i am just about ready to do that.
thanks again all:)

hello path also:)
sorry it looks as if i ignored your reply, but it must have popped up while i was typing my reply. thanks also for a very interesting reply as usual:)

Back