would you vote for a jewish or muslim President of the U.S.?

Depends on the individual and whatever other groups he or she promotes, and why.

By the way, why do you ask? Would you? And why or why not?

Would you vote for a Christian? (Please qualify--Catholic or Protestant)
Would you vote for a Baha'i?
Would you vote for an African American or Hispanic woman (or man, or any woman for that matter)
(I can go on, if you like....:) )

When I vote, I take into consideration the principles presented by the individual candidate. Often this necessarily involves discerning things like where his or her loyalty lies within this democracy (or republic, if you prefer). I admit that I consider the religion of the person, but more than that, I look at the faith of the person--I look for fruit. And I am not fooled by anyone who professes faith in any religion, and then does not live by what he or she professes.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, but I take these sort of questions very seriously.

Have a great Independence Day....

InPeace,
InLove

BlaznFattyz said:
why or why not.
I would vote for any person that holds the Constitution so close to their heart, it could be the next chapter in scripture. I would not vote, however, for a Athiest. Nor would I vote for someone who insisted that the rest of the country become "one" with a particular religion or faith.

Why? Read the First amendment. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you've got more problems than me, because you're living in a country you don't understand.

v/r

Q

Simultaneous posting? :cool:

(Edited to add: Well maybe not exactly simultaneous, but then my computer is a little slow sometimes (both the external and internal ):D

InPeace,
InLove

I would not vote for a someone running to be president who was outright about being muslim or jewish. i personally do not trust someone who does not believe in jesus. but also think about international affairs. the president goes around being the symbol of what the u.s. stands for. i think that a jewish or muslim president would send a mixed message to the world. i dont know what the exact poll, but i think we are still christian nation by majority. how would the arabs recieve our jewish president and vice versa. how would our peace in the middle east work with a jewish or muslim president who cant seem to find peace in their own lands.

Hi BlaznFattyz--

Ah--that is what I was looking for--at least you are thinking. I was not sure at first.

It is late, and so I will probably get back with you on some of this--especially some thoughts on separation of church and state in the U.S.

Maybe now would be a good time for me to finally say "welcome to CR".

I suspect I may be quite a bit older than you, which does not necessarily mean I have more wisdom--but it might mean that I get tired sooner:) .

So g'nite all--we will talk of many things later (after my nap).

InPeace,
InLove

Kind Regards, BF!
BlaznFattyz said:
why or why not.

I guess the answer depends a lot on the meaning and intent behind the question. If it is sincere, then why not? But, I would caution you to consider the Constitution as written. This "Jew or Muslim" would simultaneously be American. I forget which chapter and clause, I believe it is in the section dealing with the Executive branch, but one can only be President if they are native born and raised. Which is why the Governator (and I say that with sincere respect) cannot be President. And he is married to Maria Shriver, a Kennedy! BUT, his child could be Pres. one day...

I might also point to the Bill of Rights. You know, keep and bear arms, freedom of speech, and all that. Well, up there somewhere around 4 or 5 is a little Bill called Freedom of Religion.

Then add separation of church and state, and you create a balance so that the government cannot influence (directly and legally) any religion (broadly or narrowly), and likewise cannot be influenced BY any religion.

Depending how one defines religion, whether institutional or personal, religion plays a role in every person's life. Every person believes in something, even if that something is nothing. That is each of our personal "memes" that we choose to feed in our minds. That is the self-talk we do in our heads.

When one group holds a superiority, there is a tendency to abuse the privilege. History is full of countless examples, before separation of church and state, government and religion were basically the same thing. Still is in very many places. America was the first unique example I am aware of in history. And it defines who we are as Americans today.

So now, why not elect a native born son, who just happens to be of a different religion. I would hazard a guess you might have even already voted for one... :) That is, if you are a patriotic American and exercise your right to vote. And remember that the privileges that come with the rights we are given are not free. We also have our duties and our responsibilities, first to God, then ourselves and families, friends and neighbors, community and nation. Freedom is not free.

BlaznFattyz said:
I would not vote for a someone running to be president who was outright about being muslim or jewish. i personally do not trust someone who does not believe in jesus. but also think about international affairs. the president goes around being the symbol of what the u.s. stands for. i think that a jewish or muslim president would send a mixed message to the world. i dont know what the exact poll, but i think we are still christian nation by majority. how would the arabs recieve our jewish president and vice versa. how would our peace in the middle east work with a jewish or muslim president who cant seem to find peace in their own lands.
considering this is a land of the free, home of the brave, and free of bigots, your statement is disheartening. Your predjudice might get our collective butts kicked. A Christian president does not send mixed messages to the world?

Are you assuming that the president of the United States of America, would use his/her personal religious beliefs to move politics his/her way towards the Jewish/Arabic State? Is that what you would do, or is that what you know for fact, others would do?

I have one more question for you, then I'll leave you alone. A Christian is supposed to be fearless in Christ...?

v/r

Q

BlaznFattyz said:
By chance are you suggesting that is why the Gore/Lieberman ticket failed? I like to think I'm a moderate fiscal conservative with a strange bent towards environmental concerns. I would not have voted (and didn't) for Gore/Lieberman, but by no means do I disrespect either man. I very much respect Mr. Lieberman, more so than Gore frankly. I think he is a very able politician, and he serves this country and those in his charge well, in my opinion. That I disagree with him on certain issues, I have no doubt in my mind he is a thoughtful and considerate man with the best of intentions, as men go.

All men fail. Call it a sin, a goof, a blonde moment ;) , we're human and we don't always make the best decisions. All we can do is the best we know how with what we are given. And leave the rest to God, and pray we learn our lessons, some are pretty tough to have to repeat.

As for what the world thinks, FECK'M, ain't none 'a' their business anyway.

Of course, I suppose someone might say "then what are we doing messin' with someone else's business?" Two things: The fight was brought to us. And we just happen to be big enough to do something about it. I thank God that we are, we don't have to sit by and take it. Oh yeah, a third thing, I promised myself I wouldn't discuss the current matter, and I think its time I hold myself to that promise.

Would I vote for a Jewish or Muslim President of the U.S? Well why not? Seriously. It's all relative to the Chrisitan President the U.S. has already. Let me explain my point of view before there is any offense to be taken.

I see HUGE red flags when anyone holds a belief in a Messiah and a Dooms Day. All the events supporting the belief that prophesy is being fulllfilled (in a day in age where we are very well aware of psychosomatics) is proof enough that even the greatest of men will put aside their rational mind and let their emotional mind create outcomes.

A great example is the true story of a Philosophy Professor who woke up one morning feeling wonderful and refreshed. On his way into the kitchen his wife asks him if he's feeling okay, because he's looking a little peaked. He tells her he feels great and had a great nights sleep. On the way out the door and to his car his groundskeeper said pretty much the same thing. "You know there's that flu going around". Oh well, no big deal, he knew he was feeling just fine. Once he got to the classroom his students were asking him if he was feeling okay. The Dean later approached him and said maybe he should take a day off. He was looking a little tired and the flu has been going around. By the time he had gotten home and entered the door, he was telling his wife he wasn't feeling so well and just wanted to go upstairs to rest. His wife went up to take his temperature and he did in fact have a bit of a fever. She made a phone call, and shortly after the groundskeeper and Dean where at the door. The three of them went up to the man's room with mild grins on their faces. It happens that the man had told the Dean no one could make him beleive anything. Caught completely off guard, it turns out the man was subject to an April Fools joke and the Dean had asked his students and the man's wife (who asked the groundskeeper) to make suggestive comments to the man about looking as though he wasn't feeling so well and telling him the flu was going around. That night the man went to the guest room and asked that his wife let him rest alone because he really wasn't feeling well. The next morning he was found dead.

What does this tell you?

It tells me that wether it's a Jew, Muslim or Christian as the president of the most powerful nation in the world, they all hold the beleif in a Messiah and Dooms Day. Even with love in their hearts they beleive there is a better place than here, that the best of men will be taken there, and that it is soon to be expected. Every religion in the world that holds a beleif in a Messiah is expecting him within the next 20-50 years, and each of their own professies are playing out. Look it up. Someone can take that to mean all these religions are true, only theirs is true (which is what they each claim), or none of them are true and the truest element in them is that those events prophesised are possible. Possible enough to make happen like a deadly undercurrent of the beleivers best intentions. If those horrid events pan out as so many religions predict (and all different) it will be a sad state of affairs. For each religion also states that their Messiah will come when the people are in the greatest of distress. People know full well what the best actions are for mankind and life in general, yet we continue to sign a death warrant with anything from biological weaponry to simply supporting the consumer use of environmentally damaging goods and behavior. We are told on a regular basis what we would need to do to slow down the deterioration of that which supports life and maybe even reverse it. But do you see people eagerly changing their behaviors? Populations rise, people get busier, more demanding, life is a race to the finish line. People are racing so fast they don't even stop to think that the precious jewel(s) in their lives, their children, may NEED our efforts to fix what has been broken. That thought enters our minds as a people far less than the concern or anticipation for Dooms Day.

I refuse to pretend that having a Christian president of the U.S. is a cozy ideal situation for my children. Likewise any religious leader who makes decisions on the premise that distress is inevitable and the end is near. No, this does not imply that I think the President of the U.S. is giving up or is necessarily knowingly advocating distress. What it does mean I believe is that the actions taken by him have far less impact on the well-being of future generations then they would if he did not adhere to such beliefs.

no i wouldnt because............... i dont live in the states....
no just kidding
i wouldnt be concerned about what race or religion they are but what they are there.

Yes.

Religion of a president makes absolutely zero difference to me. What makes a difference to me is principles and track record. I want a president that has supported the issues and principles I think are important, and I want him/her to have a track record of action and voting that supports their alleged principles. I also want a president that is more intelligent than I am, has good people skills, is a humanitarian, and is a dedicated and hard worker. Bonus points for having actually worked at something rather than being born wealthy and doing little to nothing, being involved in charity work (and not just donating money), and being reasonably humble. More bonus points for a president who loves all humanity and is genuinely concerned with the lives of people outside the United States as well as the poor within the US. I expect that the president will be working at least as hard as the rest of us- which is, on average, 51 hours a week in the U.S. I also want a president whose personal life is in alignment with his/her professed ideals. His/her personal life doesn't have to be in line with my own moral codes (except that harming others is a big problem to me), and of course everyone messes up from time to time, but I expect that a person who is genuine will show efforts to strive towards their moral ideals.

I've met self-identified Christians who were utterly unconcerned with doing much of anything for the greater good of humanity, and there are Mother Theresas. I've met self-identified non-Christians who were also unconcerned with humanity, and there are Ghandis. I'd take Ghandi over almost any self-identified Christian politician today.

What can I say? I have high expectations for a person who leads one of the most influential and powerful nations of the world. I'm a reasonably intelligent, informed, and humanitarian-type of person. I try hard to live up to my ideals and I work hard at every job I have. I'm working to make the world a better place, as cliche as that is. And I do not think that I am good enough to be president. So far, none of the candidates in my voting history has been either. I pick what I think is the lesser of two bad options. But if there ever comes along a person that fits the very large bill I have, I'd support them 100%.

Are we voting for a political leader here? or a religious leader? Since it is the president, that sounds like politics to me.

Voting is a political discussion. One thing I cannot stand is someone bashing someone for there vote or why they vote the way they do. AND someone trying to convince someone to vote the same way they do.:(
It is my right as a U.S. citizen to vote for who I FEEL is best. No, I would not vote for any nominee for president of the U.S. who is anti Christ or against the bible. OTH- Just because someone says they believe does not mean they believe & so, I may not vote at all.

Reguardless of religion, from what I learned in government, voting is a right & not an obligation until the voter makes it his obligation. Reguardless of religion or what religions are being asked about there vote it seems to me this is a political topic & not a religious topic. It may be better discussed there.?.:)

dont you think that is a little naive to say politics and religion dont go together, regardless if you think its right or you feel you wouldnt vote a certain way, obviously most of america does vote a certain way, or maybe muslims or jews never aspire to become president.

1 George Washington Episcopalian 2 John Adams Unitarian 3 Thomas Jefferson raised Episcopalian
later in life, belonged to no specific religion
held many Christian, Deist and Unitarian beliefs 4 James Madison Episcopalian 5 James Monroe Episcopalian 6 John Quincy Adams Unitarian 7 Andrew Jackson Presbyterian 8 Martin Van Buren Dutch Reformed 9 William Henry Harrison Episcopalian 10 John Tyler Episcopalian/Deist 11 James Knox Polk Presbyterian/Methodist 12 Zachary Taylor Episcopalian 13 Millard Fillmore Unitarian 14 Franklin Pierce Episcopalian 15 James Buchanan Presbyterian 16 Abraham Lincoln raised Baptist;
later no specific denomination
17 Andrew Johnson no specific denomination * 18 Ulysses S Grant Presbyterian/Methodist * 19 Rutherford B. Hayes Methodist 20 James A. Garfield Disciples of Christ 21 Chester A. Arthur Episcopalian 22 Grover Cleveland Presbyterian 23 Benjamin Harrison Presbyterian 24 Grover Cleveland Presbyterian 25 William McKinley Methodist 26 Theodore Roosevelt Dutch Reformed;
Episcopalian
27 William Howard Taft Unitarian 28 Woodrow Wilson Presbyterian 29 Warren G. Harding Baptist 30 Calvin Coolidge Congregationalist 31 Herbert Hoover Quaker 32 Franklin Delano Roosevelt Episcopalian 33 Harry S. Truman Baptist 34 Dwight D. Eisenhower Jehovah's Witnesses
Presbyterian 35 John F. Kennedy Catholic 36 Lyndon Baines Johnson Disciples of Christ 37 Richard M. Nixon Quaker 38 Gerald Ford Episcopalian 39 Jimmy Carter Baptist 40 Ronald Reagan Disciples of Christ; Presbyterian 41 George H. W. Bush Episcopalian 42 William Jefferson Clinton Baptist 43 George W. Bush Methodist
(former Episcopalian)

BlaznFattyz said:
dont you think that is a little naive to say politics and religion dont go together, regardless if you think its right or you feel you wouldnt vote a certain way, obviously most of america does vote a certain way, or maybe muslims or jews never aspire to become president.
Presumptuous perhaps, but not naive...

Kindest Regards, Bandit!
from what I learned in government, voting is a right & not an obligation until the voter makes it his obligation.
I grant you this. You are correct, voting is a right, not an obligation.

I have long viewed it difficult to criticize the process if I am not a active participant. If you don't play, you really haven't got room to say. Remaining outside of the "system" only gives free-reign to the system. What good is your "no" vote outside of the system?

Kindest Regards, BF!

And how many are Freemasons, etc? I mean, we could go off into all kinds of arguable tangents, which I really agree with Bandit would be better discussed, if at all, in the politics section.

For here, in brief, I would say America is a nation of change. We adapt, we diversify. We now have a Hispanic Cabinet Secrtary (I want to say Attorney General, no low ball position...Bobby Kennedy was Attorney General). Last summer, I want to say July, US Census Bureau noted Hispanic population outnumbered all other noted ethnic groups in the US, including white and black. Census was predicting Asian population to outnumber Hispanic in something like 30 years. Who's the majority?

What will the American population look like in 30 years, and who will hold positions of power? Including, as noted here, how many more politicians will be of other ethnic groups and religious cultures? What will things look like on the ground for the everyday citizen? Can the dominant "religion" in the broad sense be able to coexist peaceably with the rising religions? Or is all the rhetoric to incite riot?

On paper, the right for the major world faiths in particular, and a whole lot of "lesser" ones too, to coexist peaceably is the intended goal. Can America put its money where its mouth is? Can Americans who hold the Constitution as their government of choice rightly and freely discriminate against any other American, (or stranger within its shores,) of another faith? I answer "no!" Your question begs to pit the two (or more!) faiths at odds with each other. The end result is this: "Can you as a Christian coexist peaceably in the same society with; Catholics (forgive me Q, I say this this way for a reason, and it is not meant for offense, just understanding), Buddhists, Muslims? And what say you of Jews? What about Native American traditions?" So, while we're at it, how about getting along peaceably with anyone else who can get along peaceably, as long as they do no harm to the society. Better still, if they have something to contribute to society. And by the providence granted these industrious people a society is built. On our shores we accept the poor downtrodden huddled masses, who in turn take these opportunities to apply themselves and create a nation. That is America.

Christians don't like politics in general. Like I think I mentioned already, Christians in my experience have been taught to fear the system. The system is awesome, and as with any system if you run afoul of it, your life can become unpleasant. Of course, there is the option, if you are uncomfortable with the American system, of leaving it behind and throwing your loyalties to whatever society you choose to go to.

Hey, if you find a better place, let me know. I always thought Tahiti. Maybe someday.... :)

Back