Where the West is wrong

Hypothetically speaking, would it still be a democracy if you only had a choice of 2 candidates who were both essentially the same and the public's views were shaped by misinformation fed through a government controlled press?

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Hypothetically speaking, would it still be a democracy if you only had a choice of 2 candidates who were both essentially the same and the public's views were shaped by misinformation fed through a government controlled press?

Certainly. If the public were savy enough to recognize the con, and the majority wrote in "none of the above" on their ballots...

...then the election would have to be held again. :D

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Certainly. If the public were savy enough to recognize the con, and the majority wrote in "none of the above" on their ballots...

...then the election would have to be held again. :D

v/r

Q

I still like another idea of this: Allow a "none of the above" on the ballot, and if it wins, none of the candidates could run again for 10 years. (Ok, my original idea was to just shoot them, but that's a *bit* too much)

... Bruce

OH! Like that film... buster's millions, brooster's millions? Something like that... When he runs for Mayor and forces everyone with money and drink to vote none of the above...

Buster?: excuse me can I ask a question?
Buster?: Who's paying for the booze?
Crowd : YOU ARE!!!!! *cheers*
Buster?: And who is trying to buy your votes?!
Crowd : YOU ARE!!! *cheers*
Buster?: And who you gonna vote for?!
Crowd : NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!! *crowd goes wild*

lol that film tickles me, tickles me in such a way if someone was to tickle me like that, i'd say ooooh yeah, thats the spot.

17th Angel said:
OH! Like that film... buster's millions, brooster's millions? Something like that... When he runs for Mayor and forces everyone with money and drink to vote none of the above...

Buster?: excuse me can I ask a question?
Buster?: Who's paying for the booze?
Crowd : YOU ARE!!!!! *cheers*
Buster?: And who is trying to buy your votes?!
Crowd : YOU ARE!!! *cheers*
Buster?: And who you gonna vote for?!
Crowd : NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!! *crowd goes wild*

lol that film tickles me, tickles me in such a way if someone was to tickle me like that, i'd say ooooh yeah, thats the spot.

LOL, Brewster's Millions. Richard Pryor stars in this un-American American dream. No wonder the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of idiots...

v/r

Q

brucegdc said:
Allow a "none of the above" on the ballot

I was once helping my friend get elected to Vise President of our Students Association, on election day I canvassed hundreds of people and many agreed to go inside and vote for my guy. Unfortunately, on leaving, when we asked people who they voted for, they pointed at me and said,

"I voted for him"

"But I wastn't on the ballot paper" I said, so many times,

"Yes you were Ron," they would say,

"Ron?" I would think, "Who the hell is Ron?"

Unfortunately these people who had tried to vote for me had actually voted for RON, meaning Re Open Nominations.

Back