Mystery Thread

Another "receipt" (although I might have posted it before in this thread... :oops:)

Puff Pancake

1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
3 T. sugar or sugar substitute
1/8 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. flour
2 T. butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 425° F.

Mix the first five ingredients thoroughly. Melt butter in a 9" pan (I use a skillet) and pour the batter into pan. Bake for 18 minutes.

I have used pumpkin pie spice blend instead of cinnamon for another "sweet" pancake, and I've used chili powder, garam masala or Chinese five spice powder for a savory (reducing the sugar/"sugar" to 1 T.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Homemade Waffles

2 c. self-rising flour (can use roughly the same amount of all-purpose/plain flour mixed with 1 T. baking powder and 1 t. salt)
1 c. milk (can use buttermilk/sour milk if desired)
3 eggs
2 t. sugar or sugar substitute
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted

Preheat waffle iron.
Mix everything thoroughly. Pour on hot iron and cook until waffle reaches desired doneness (I use a soup ladle to measure out the batter.) Serve.

You can add chopped nuts, cocoa, cheese, crisped bacon, minced ham, herbs and/or spices if desired

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie

1 qt. pumpkin ice cream or pumpkin gelato
1 9" deep dish cookie crumb crust (using gingerbread, crisp spicy oatmeal or ginger snaps)

Soften the pumpkin ice cream, then carefully fill the cookie crumb crust. Freeze until firm, decorate (if desired) and serve.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Roasted Baby Carrots with Greek Seasoning
2 lbs. fresh baby carrots
3 T. olive oil
1 T. Greek seasoning

Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 13x9" pan with olive oil cooking spray; set aside.
Mix carrots with olive oil in a large bowl, then sprinkle with seasoning. Pour into prepared pan, then roast in the 425° oven for 25-30 minutes until tender. Serve.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I do the baby carrots with one seasoning, Brussels sprouts in garlic oil, pineapple with cayenne, potatoes with black pepper, and onions coated in Italian seasoning....layer them in starting with taters ending with pineapple each by its cooking time about every five - seven minutes something else goes in...mirroring the time it takes to.cut and season... Make an avacado, cranberry and walnut salad, and whip up avacodo and cocoa and honey into a pudding...during the last 10 minutes while the pineapples are cooking and that be my whole meal, pull that chocolate pudding out for desert and life is good.

I finished off an "experiment"/WiP: macaroni and cheese with the addition of salsa, chopped onion and chopped bell pepper.

Zesty Macaroni and Cheese
7 oz. macaroni or pasta
1 large onion, chopped
2 large bell peppers, chopped
2 T. oil
2 t. plain/all-purpose flour
dash black pepper
dash garlic powder
salt to taste
1/2 c. lowfat milk
1 c. grated Colby jack cheese
1/2 c. salsa (or to taste)

Cook pasta in 2 qts. water until al dente, adding the onion and bell peppers towards the end.
Heat oil; add flour and seasonings, stir constantly. Slowly add milk, stir until thickened, then add cheese. Fold/stir in salsa, then cooked pasta mixture. Eat. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Brown Rice and Cheese (WiP)
3 c. water
1/2 c. brown rice
Salt to taste
2 T. butter or margarine
2 T. all-purpose/plain flour
1/2 c. lowfat milk
Shredded cheese to taste (I use at least 1/2 c., sometimes more)
2 T. salsa or pico de gallo

Cook the rice in the water with a little salt until water's almost completely absorbed.

Melt butter and add flour, cook and stir for a few seconds. Add milk and cook until thickened. Add cheese and stir until thoroughly combined. Add salsa and rice, mixing everything until combined. Eat.

I just picked up a container of gochu-jang, which is a hot pepper paste from Korea. Now I've got to find some "receipts" that call for it...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

100% Whole Wheat Waffles

2 c. whole wheat flour
3 T. sugar/sugar substitute
1 1/2 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. milk
1/2 c. canola oil
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla/cinnamon to taste

Sift together dry ingredients. Thoroughly mix together wet ingredients. Mix everything together, let rest. Heat waffle iron, add ~1/4 c. batter and close. Bake for 5 minutes and serve.

You can add fruit, nuts, cheese or chocolate chips, if desired.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

A relatively quick and easy soup that can be vegan, if so desired:

Throwtogether Refried Bean Soup

1 small tin of refried beans
1 jar of salsa
1 quart of chicken or vegetable broth
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 each of green, red, orange and yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced like the onion
1 clove garlic, mashed (optional)
Chili powder, garam masala, Chinese five spice powder, optional

Mix everything together and bring to a boil. Turn stove down to low and simmer about 15 minutes. Serve.

jt3: Did you have matzo pizzas this year? If so, how did you like them? *meow*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

This seems tasty although it would cause a lot of gas . . . :p

"Vegans never run out of gas"

(vegan myself, moderate issues. Depends on a person's gut flora, apparently, how it deals with certain carbohydrates)

"Vegans never run out of gas"

(vegan myself, moderate issues. Depends on a person's gut flora, apparently, how it deals with certain carbohydrates)

I'm not a vegan myself, just don't eat meat except during Passover (and only chicken outside of my apartment.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

This was posted on my LiveJournal feed (haven't tried them yet myself):

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

¾ cup cold water or milk
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup ricotta cheese
1 T grated lemon zest (just the yellow part of the skin)
1 T vegetable oil
1 T white sugar
1 large egg
⅛ t vanilla extract
1 T melted butter
1 T lemon juice
1 cup self-rising flour
2 T self-rising flour

Directions:

Whisk water and baking soda together in a mixing bowl. Add ricotta cheese, lemon zest, vegetables oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth, breaking up lumps of cheese as you mix. Add melted butter, lemon juice, and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons self-rising flour. Whisk together, stirring until most of flour disappears into the batter.
Let batter sit at room temperature about 15 minutes. Heat lightly greased cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Portion out 1/4 cup scoops of batter onto skillet (cook in batches). When bubbles begin to form on the surface and the edges of the pancakes start to look dry (2 to 3 minutes), flip and cook other side until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a warm plate.

Per Serving:

554 calories; protein 16.8g; carbohydrates 62.8g; fat 26g; cholesterol 141.2mg; sodium 1399.4m

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Right now I eat low carb vegetarian auryvedic food. Made a good smoothie for my Vata Pitta dosha today. Really Good ♥️

One cup of almond milk
A few chunks of honeydew melon
A hint of limejuice

Lemon Pecan Bread (originally posted on my LiveJournal feed)

1/3 cup melted and cooled butter
1 cup sugar
3 T. lemon extract
2 large eggs
Rind of one lemon (reserve juice)
1 ½ cups flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
½ cup milk
½ cup pecans

Preheat oven to 350

Butter standard loaf pan and line bottom with waxed paper. Mix first five ingredients. Stir together ingredients and them add to sugar-butter mixture. Add milk and stir to combine. Fold in pecans. Do not over mix.

Pour into loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes

Topping ingredients:

Reserved juice
½ cup powdered sugar
Combine juice from lemon with powdered sugar. After removing the loaf from pan, pour lemon juice mixture over warm loaf slowly until all of it has soaked into the bread. Wrap loaf in plastic wrap.

Serves 12-15

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back