Hebrew names?

queenofsheba

Reaction score
What are the Hebrew names for Jesus, John the Baptist, Mary Magdaline, the 12 apostles, etc?
Also great would be if someone could give some Aramese names, because Jesus spoke Aramese.

you mean aramaic, right?

i don't know this, but i dare say someone on the christianity board could tell you.

the convention in certain circles of christianity is to render jesus' name as "yeshua", but frankly, this is usually only done to emphasise how it's really just "fulfilling judaism" and that, consequently, we should all convert - a notion which i hope i have already addressed in relation to the various questions about "jews for jesus". it was probably originally "yehoshua" (joshua) rather than "yeshua", though.

i'm not actually sure of the hebrew or aramaic version of "john" - i know it's "yahya" in arabic, though. "mary" is an anglicisation of the hebrew name "miriam".

simon = shim'on.
andrew and james i don't know.
philip is a greek name, so don't know.
bartholomew is apparently "bar-Talemai?" = "son of Talemai"
matthew is usually matityahu.
thomas, may be from the aramaic t'oma' = "twin".
judas iscariot probably means "judean assassin" if judas=judean and iscariot=sicarius, which is latin anyhoo.
thaddaeus i dunno either.

hope that helps.

b'shalom

bananabrain

queenofsheba said:
What are the Hebrew names for Jesus, John the Baptist, Mary Magdalene, the 12 apostles, etc?
queenofsheba said:
Also great would be if someone could give some Aramese names, because Jesus spoke Aramese.

I am no Christian I don’t know of the 12 apostles names but for these names I try to help you with

The J in English substitute the Y in Hebrew

Jesus is actually Joshua.

Joshua will be yehoshua

John will be Yony

Mary will be Miriam

bananabrain said:
judas iscariot probably means "judean assassin"
yehuda ish kariyot

ish = man,person
kariyot = city; suburb, district

I am not sure you can really say since the NT was not written in Hebrew, or Aramaic,
but in Greek.
I wonder if anyone can really say what the original names of the NT characters were?

Back