Peter Henderson and Church of Flying Spaghetti Monster

aquaris

Reaction score
In recent weeks, a satirical attack on the teaching of Creationism in American schools has become the world's fastest growing 'religion'. The Noodly Saviour looked at the furore He had created and pronounced it good, writes James Langton

t.gif
In the beginning there was the Flying Spaghetti Monster
(Filed: 11/09/2005)

In recent weeks, a satirical attack on the teaching of Creationism in American schools has become the world's fastest growing 'religion'. The Noodly Saviour looked at the furore He had created and pronounced it good, writes James Langton

wfsm11.jpg
For a growing band of devoted followers, He is the Supreme Being; creator of the universe and all living things. To the rest of us, the Flying Spaghetti Monster looks like a giant heap of pasta and meatballs topped with eyeballs on stalks. As it turns out, both interpretations are correct.

In the past few weeks, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has become perhaps the world's fastest-growing "religion" and maybe its most improbable. While no one can be sure of the exact numbers of "Pastafarians", as acolytes are called, they may number in the millions

source;http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...1.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/09/11/ixportal.html
In June 2005, Bobby Henderson submitted an open letter to the Kansas Board of Education in response to their scheduling a hearing debating whether to give intelligent design equal time with evolution by natural selection in biology classes. On his Web site, named venganza.org after the Spanish word for revenge, he formally requested that Flying Spaghetti Monsterism be given time in classrooms equal to that given to intelligent design and to "logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence" (evolution). He warned that if this was not done, "we will be forced to proceed with legal action." Shortly afterwards, he received responses from two sympathetic members of the board. A third response was also received in mid-August.

The site received worldwide attention when Boing Boing featured it in June 2005. Traffic exploded in August, when FSM was repeatedly featured on Boing Boing and other blogs and Internet news sites such as Something Awful and Fark.com. Articles in the mainstream media soon followed.

The "Latest News" section of Henderson's site notes that U.S. President George W. Bush [1] and U.S. Senator Bill Frist [2] have publicly supported the teaching of "different ideas" (Bush) and "a broad range of fact, of science, including faith" (Frist) on the origin of life, alongside evolutionary theory. Henderson infers that they support the teaching of Flying Spaghetti Monsterism — though neither has publicly stated a position on FSM.

Beliefs

Images depicting the creation of the universe typically show the Monster, a tree-covered mountain, and a "midgit".

Many of the "beliefs" proposed by Henderson were intentionally chosen to parody arguments commonly set forth by proponents of Intelligent Design.

• The Universe was created by an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster. All evidence pointing towards evolution was intentionally planted by this being.
  • According to the pastafarians, the monster created the world starting with a mountain, trees and a "midgit" and continues to guide human affairs with his "noodly appendage." Heaven is depicted as having a stripper factory and a beer volcano. Their prayers to "Him" are typically ended by "Ramen", instead of "Amen".
  • Global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct consequence of the decline in numbers of pirates since the 1800s. A graph showing the inverse correlation between the pirates and global temperatures was also provided. This component of the theory highlights the logical fallacy of correlation implying causation.
  • Bobby Henderson is the "prophet" of this religion.
  • Pastafarians believe every Friday is a religious holiday
source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monsterism

What are your views about this new Thing...... heard it has caught on like Fire.....and some even claim it to be the fastest growing religion/movement.

I'm a Christian and I don't believe in the SM, but as an objective observer I have to say that under the new definition of science being promoted in Kansas and other places by the ID crowd, we should be teaching this theory along with evolution and ID (after all, they even have pictures). I also think we should be including the creation stories of all known religions as they can't be disproven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

:D
lunamoth

Bandit said:
i always believed it was the fettucini monster.

And I the angelhair monster. Heretics, all of you. Only the thinnest is good enough for his noodly self!

:rolleyes:

brucegdc said:
And I the angelhair monster. Heretics, all of you. Only the thinnest is good enough for his noodly self!

:rolleyes:

the angelhair monster is a false doctrine.
spaghetti, angelhair, fettucini, raviloli & these four are one.:D

That's not a spaghetti monster - it's Cthulhu in disguise.

aquaris said:
Global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct consequence of the decline in numbers of pirates since the 1800s.

A graph showing the inverse correlation between the pirates and global temperatures was also provided. This component of the theory highlights the logical fallacy of correlation implying causation.

Logical fallacy? Are you saying its not true then? Y'swarthy dog!

I hope everyone supported the recent International Talk Like A Pirate day and joined the fight against global warming.

"And in the seventh minute it was complete."

Everyone knows that a true and worthy noodle sticks to the wall when tested. (And some want to remove St. Al Dente from the canon! Aarrr, mangy scalawags!)

ARRRRGGGHHHH ! And I, Long John Silver say, avast and cast off thy scalawag opinions regarding the sacred noodles, for everyone knoweth that a few flagons of good rum will cureth all optical and philosophical illusions about reality.

Now...mateys...I surely do wisheth for a real leg to walk on again, and I surely wisheth that I didn't have so much parrott guano on my shoulder. Sometime methinks the weight of it maketh me walk in a crooked manner. Now me hearties...where the devil did I put that flagon o' rum ! AARRRRGGGGHHH!

flow....:p

so, brian, you're saying cthulhu-speak is actually meant to sound like someone choking on spaghetti and meatballs? sounds plausible to me.

get thee to rl'y'eh or however it's spelt.

b'shalom

bananabrain

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH my hearties..............

I need a mouth as wide as the sky
to say the nature of a true person.

RUMI

Hmmm... I wonder what the Invisible Pink Unicorn (Blessed be her holy hooves) would say about this:D

I believe she'd say,

" Avast thar Long John. See how gracefully I prance upon these 'ere four lovely pink legs and dainty hooves. Ye'll not be needin' a new leg to walk on when ye can ride me on my back to anywhere ye wish.

Pass me the flagon 'o rum thar matey... or sure as the sun rises on t' larboard side of the vessel if we be sailin' south...I'll be runnin ye through and through with this 'ere gnarly single horn on me forehead... stomp...stomp...snort...snort...neigh...neigh !"

I just couldn't resist...flow....:cool:

There be nothin' this here Piratical personage be like'n more 'n a hearty plate of pasta an' meatballs. Praise the noodly appendage!

Back