New Conflict in Iran

T

Tao_Equus

The recent speech by the Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad calling for the state of Isreal to be wiped from the face of the map has met with widespread condemnation from the international community, including Irans most important ally Russia. Despite this condemnation Ahmadinejad has gone on today to confirm he meant every word he said.
My question is this; Imagine that you are leader of your country......what would your response be?....what would you be asking congress, parliament or your elected body to accept as a way to deal with this issue?

I would be quite careful, because the white men that drew lines in the sand breaking up Persia and Palestine....creating the likes of Iran and Israel...seperating the Kurds into three different nations...parting families all over the middle east and relegating three or four waring groups within the same boundaries....

and ever since then we sit back and wonder why they just can't all get along...

All I can say is that I am glad I am not the leader of any nation...

wil said:
I would be quite careful, because the white men that drew lines in the sand breaking up Persia and Palestine....creating the likes of Iran and Israel...seperating the Kurds into three different nations...parting families all over the middle east and relegating three or four waring groups within the same boundaries....

and ever since then we sit back and wonder why they just can't all get along...

All I can say is that I am glad I am not the leader of any nation...

Thank you Will, you make a pertinent point very well. And for the record I would rather be disembowlled and fed to a pack of wild dogs than be a leader of any nation.

It's really sad to see those sort of comments come up. Khatami was a moderate who could be held to some respect by the West, but for the new president make such dumb comments is pretty amazing.

Considering the worsening diplomative relations Iran has with the USA and UK, and the fact that there is something of a propaganda campaign to groom the populations of the USA and UK against Iran, the comments are a gift to the hawks.

What is it this Mahmoud Ahmadinejad really wants? I know he has said that Israel should be wiped from the face of the map, but does he mean he wants the land of Israel or the Jews gone?

If i was the leader of a country, I would station some form of force (with non-nuclear missiles and no ground troops) close to Iran and threaten to totally destroy Tehran and other major cities until this Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stepped down or Iran put a stop to its nuclear programs. If they didn't well i don't think i would have a choice but to wipe them from the face of the map... :rolleyes:

It seems to be that Ahmadinejad is rather embattled in that in the brief period of his presidency he has had many of his powers stripped away and given to the previous president Rafsanjani. Rumours abound that this now includes Irans nuclear portfolio. In this context his statements can be seen as a means to gain support within his own country and especially amongst the 'Jew-hating young men'. So Ahmadinejads' statements could be potentialy destabilising within the complex Iranian power structure.

Whatever the effects on Iran internaly it seems to me certain that The U.S. and U.K. are not going to permit Iran to get a nuclear capability. Both countries have made no secret in recent weeks that they are embarked on a strategy to deal with this issue bi-lateraly if the international community does not come on-board. This worries me greatly as I cannot see either country enter into another invasion scenario. Bombing of Irans known nuclear instalations with conventional weapons is not an effective option either as much of it has been designed against just such an event. The option of nuclear attack is political suicide, but suicide to two leaders whos political lives are at an end is perhaps not inconcievable. They may both want to go out with a bang. Whatever happens I see no obvious solutions and this issue is of great worry to me.

he's clearly a diplomatic incompetent. however, i am rather grateful to him for stating in so straightforward a fashion just exactly what the problem is; namely that this is official doctrine for many countries, whereas normally it is hidden behind evasiveness and doublespeak. in short, a lot of people in the middle east - and elsewhere - want exactly this, the elimination of israel. doesn't mean it's going to happen, but at least it can hardly be argued that this is ambiguous and therefore perhaps people will take it more seriously when considering why it's not a good idea for these genocidal nutters to have nuclear weapons, rather than bleating on about how the israelis have got them and it's only fair.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Mason said:
What is it this Mahmoud Ahmadinejad really wants? I know he has said that Israel should be wiped from the face of the map, but does he mean he wants the land of Israel or the Jews gone?

If i was the leader of a country, I would station some form of force (with non-nuclear missiles and no ground troops) close to Iran and threaten to totally destroy Tehran and other major cities until this Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stepped down or Iran put a stop to its nuclear programs. If they didn't well i don't think i would have a choice but to wipe them from the face of the map... :rolleyes:

I think one would have a hard time justifying an act of genocide by saying one did it to stop genocide.

You can't put such a force in place without putting security troops in to guard it. You can't wipe a nation off the face of the earth with conventional weapons either.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays, lol ^_^

I wasn't being serious, and ok, but i just didn't want any of the good guys to get hurt, :D lol.

^_^

well... you know... it isn't as if Israel is going to just sit back and let things happen.

i think we all are aware of the destruction of the last nuclear facility in Iraq, yes?

for those readers who may not have been aware of international events in 1980 :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/7/newsid_3014000/3014623.stm

quite frankly, if they chose to destroy the reactor in Iran, there isn't much that Iran could do to stop them.

one can only hope, of course, that reasonable beings can be pursuaded to exercise a great deal of wisdom and compassion when making these sorts of decisions.

metta,

~v

Back