prayer

Now the Lord helps those
that help themselves
And the Law says whatever you do
is going to come right back on you
(George Harrison, `The Lord Loves the One (That Loves the Lord)')
andrew

Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.

--Mohandas Gandhi

Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness... It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.

--Mohandas Gandhi

prayer is the key to heaven, but faith unlocks the door.

i spent most of my life believing the scriptures were more important, but have come to realize in the last few years, the scriptures and prayer are equally important.

i have known so many people in my life that just pray & pray, (literally without ceasing) that it & (they) have been a lesson & a blessing just knowing those folks:) .

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us ( 1 John 5;14)

(John 9:31) We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is God-fearing and does his will, he listens to this one.

Rejoice in the hope. Endure under tribulation. Persevere in prayer ( romans 12;12)

(Philippians 4:6) Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let YOUR petitions be made known to God;...........

(1 Thessalonians 5:17) Pray incessantly
O Hearer of prayer, even to you people of all flesh will come...psalm 65;2

(Psalm 145:18) Jehovah is near to all those calling upon him, To all those who call upon him in trueness

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus(1 timothy 2;5)

"A man does not serve God when he prays, for it is himself he is trying to serve."

-Thomas Paine

Prayer is like confiding one's hopes, fears and dreams to the closest of friends. And having the trust that that confidence will not be violated.

v/r

Q

The prayer given by Jesus to his disciples was evidently a model, or a basic pattern, because later prayers by Jesus himself, as well as by his disciples, did not rigidly adhere to the specific words of his model prayer. (Mt 6:9-13) In its initial words, this prayer concentrates on the prime issue, calling for the sanctification of God’s name, which began to be reproached by the rebellion in Eden, as well as for the realization of the divine will by means of the promised Kingdom, which government is headed by the prophesied Seed, the Messiah. (Ge 3:15;

Prayer is simply talking to God, and trusting that He is listening. The post office can't deliver a letter to Him, and the phone company can't give us His number, so we pray, and that gets to Him.

In any event it is a much faster form of communication between God and man than we have devised between ourselves...;)

v/r

Q

Faithfulservant said:
Prayer is climbing into Daddy's lap for a chat.

I'm afraid I'm too big to climb into anyone's lap, but not too big to bend my knee and bow my head...;)

v/r

Q

in my email...
Jody Jones from Cedar Park, Texas, asks:
I recently attended your three lectures in Austin, Texas. You are an important person in my growth. I was raised as a fundamentalist, and you allowed me to begin and continue my journey. You mentioned prayer, and defined the prayers of most as "adult letters to Santa Claus." I must admit that it is an excellent definition. My question is this: What does prayer look like you to today? Thank you for continuing to educate.

Dear Jody,
I don't like to use the word prayer, because it is culturally translated as one person approaching the theistic God above the sky with a request. The word itself has become bankrupt and not capable of redemption.
Instead, I think of prayer as communing with the holy, that which is transcendental, the power of life, the consciousness of the divine, the Ground of Being or perhaps the source of love. I do not commune with God in order to seek divine favor or to engage in religious flattery that people call praise. I commune to discover God within me and to be more open to that presence. I do not separate prayer from life. I do not think prayer is something I do, so much as it is something I am.
Public worship has elements of liturgical prayer in it and I engage in public worship every Sunday. I believe the purpose of liturgy is to open us to the presence of the holy in the gathered community. I resent having medieval patterns of liturgy imposed on me, as if somehow plainsong music and priestly chanting creates holiness. To me it only creates irrelevant liturgy. I have written on prayer many times. I experience more in prayer than I can describe in words. That is as far as I can go.
I hope this helps.
– John Shelby Spong

Back