Remembrance and Red Eggs

InLove

at peace
Reaction score
Hi Y'all--Shalom to all here--

I hope I have put enough thought into the question I am about to ask. It may seem strange--it certainly seemed strange to my Baptist family:eek:. But the more we discussed it, the more we did not know the answer. I told my parents that this is exactly why I joined this forum--so that I could ask things like this. So...

We were deep in discussion about Truth, and so I just threw it out there--something I have always wondered about. I realize that the answer to my question must necessarily come from more than this place (for me, anyway), but I would appreciate your input, if anyone cares to comment (I hate to always ask for BB, but if I am honest, that is who I am asking. I would love to hear from Dauer and others, too, if it is appropriate.)

I asked my Protestant, Bible-belt, Baptist, Christian parents this:

If, during the Passover, I were to place something of remembrance for Israel on my family table at a meal--say, some eggs dyed red--what would be wrong with that?

While I know you cannot answer from a Christian standpoint (I plan to ask something about this on the Christian board, as well), I am wondering if you will tell me--would that be offensive to you (say, you just stopped in by chance and found me doing this? I would not be trying, as a Christian, to host a Passover Feast, but only to remember Israel. I dunno--maybe even educate those who don't know and maybe do not care about the history of Israel?)

I know that this might be a rather touchy subject, but then that is why I came here to ask it. My parents say that not only is it wrong for me (and of course, I won't go into all that here) , but that a Jewish person would be offended.

Is that true? (LOL--even though they would not come near this website, they finally said, "Go on, then--ask your Jewish friend!) So I am.

I look forward to your answer, whether I am right or wrong in my thinking. And I hope that what I have asked about is not silly. It isn't to me.

And again--with all my heart, I certainly hope it is not offensive to you! I am only searching for real, honest answers that I may pass on to others or even unto myself. And I am thankful that I have a place I can go and ask....:)

InPeace,
InLove

I don't know about a red egg but, if you want to use an egg as a symbol, a roasted egg I think would be sufficient. Otherwise, a roasted lamb shank bone (which might "tickle" your family since Jesus is supposed to be the "Lamb of G!d" and he was Jewish.) Then, again, some Jewish people would be offended by any outsiders (those outside the Jewish religion) doing anything remotely associated with "our" holidays and festivals (since Passover is both [the first two and last two days are holidays and the days in between are festival days ].)

*amorphous voice*: That will be 2 cents, please.
*ka-CHING*
*amorphous voice*: Thank you and have a nice day.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
i don't disagree with phyllis, but actually i think there are more productive things you could do. for example, jesus, as a jew, would have celebrated the passover seder and perhaps you could try and connect with some of the themes of the seder in some of the ways he might have done. i don't mean the whole eucharist thing from the last supper, actually, but something more universal.

the message of passover is one of freedom. freedom FROM, as well as freedom TO. it is about understanding the meaning of slavery and constraint in order to appreciate freedom. understanding our "inner egypt" and our "inner pharaoh". there is absolutely no reason imho that you can't have your own seder night to approach and discuss these issues. certainly, it has become a custom recently for us to remember other episodes of slavery and liberation - you might talk about the oppression of tibetans, falun gong (and catholics) in china, child soldiers in africa or indeed black slavery, social exclusion and poverty in america - what you as christians must learn and what action you should take as a result of these lessons. take the structure of the seder and think about "what would jesus want me to learn from this? how would he address these issues?" i believe christianity is about helping the poor, the oppressed and the outcast - passover is about understanding that experience and living it for yourself, so you can appreciate what you have.

i don't think any jew could take offence at such things - i think it would be vastly preferable to anything that could be related to guilt ("is this red egg supposed to remind us about how horrible christians were to jews?")

go and do some research and if you want to come back to me for further suggestions, i'm happy to help. i personally think you could have a seder for your family, or people from your church - i think it would be some excellent stimulus for social action!

b'shalom

bananabrain

bananabrain said:
the message of passover is one of freedom. freedom FROM, as well as freedom TO. it is about understanding the meaning of slavery and constraint in order to appreciate freedom. understanding our "inner egypt" and our "inner pharaoh". i believe christianity is about helping the poor, the oppressed and the outcast - passover is about understanding that experience and living it for yourself, so you can appreciate what you have.

mahalo nui bb for this beautiful explanation of passover .... I also read once that the end of the seder is marked by the eating of the afikoman (which has been traced to etymology of the word to the Aramaic phrase "bring on the questioning" (Afik-nameh) .... I really love this aspect of Judaism, the dialogue that takes place .... unlike the other process of being told and "talked to" as opposed to "speaking with" ....

I still don't understand the "red egg" symbol InLove, did you hear of this or read about it? There are several prophecies (Native American and Hawaii at least that I know of) that speak of "the red night sky" and in the Hawaiian version I know that this is related to a super-nova that took place long ago and it was described as an "egg" in the sky because of its shape .... 3 months after the first appearance, the red night sky appeared and this was symbolically spoken of as the "blood of the egg when it broke open" .... and I belive there is a red egg in some asian rituals and ceremonies ....

I also understood the concept of the "roasted egg" at the seder also signified the sacrifice which was carried to each pilgrimage festivity as a symbol of the mourning for the destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem. But I appreciate BB's suggestion that the action of dialogue may be a better way to introduce these concepts as opposed to symbols .... the symbols are only there to remind us of who we are .... aloha nui, pohaikawahine

Thank you all for your responses. I really do not feel so insane now:). I see that I do need to do some research (and, as always, look up some new words). I do love this site because of just this.

As far as the red eggs go, I have a cookbook that I wound up with from a local synagogue--it was so old and falling apart that I will have to find where I have stored it so it would not suffer anymore damage. The red eggs were mentioned there, and I have also seen them on kosher cooking shows, if memory serves me (hey--and it may not)! Anyway, I thought they were associated with the Passover feast, but I could be wrong about that. Or perhaps it was some modern twist on an ancient recipe?

I can't help myself--I am really considering just passing on your answers verbatim to my folks! That should give us a good year or so to argue--or maybe no time at all.;) Anyway, I appreciate the answers.

Now I am off to read about stuff that I am sure will probably lead me right back here at some point to ask more questions.

Thanks so much,
InPeace,
InLove

InLove,

Traditions are difficult for people to overcome but I am pretty confident that Jesus would smile at it and I suppose He would respond also. That is what makes Fathers kingdom so dynamic. Everyone gets to participate... I think it is a wonderful thing you are wanting to do. Perhaps what you can do for now is place them there in your heart... Faith is the substance of things hoped for... amen.

Peace !

Thanks, Arizona--and everyone. I am constantly amazed at the wisdom that really does show through on this website at times. I know it is quite a balancing act, but well worth it.

InPeace,
InLove

Back