The Book of Zohar.

I saw something about that - but I think it is going to be VERY expensive and just reading it in English will not help to see its inner meaning. isn't that "sod". Interesting that you picked up this thread from 2005 and now it is 2012 (7 years, the completion of a circle or cycle). Something has happened to my computer and I frequently can't get into this site, but I was lucky this evening and I'm going to read as many posting as I can before I get kicked out again. My aloha to everyone. He Hawai'i Au, poh

Last edited:
For those who have not met BB and Poh" this is a good thread to read from the beginning
Ok, I'll kick off, although I don't have much to offer.

I first read the Zohar about 50+ years ago.(It was my father's).

The thing that stands out in my (failing!) memory is that the writer describes his experiences of the ayn-sof which can be thought of as the source of existence(see link below).
The experiences he describes, I did not understand at the time. However some years later, when I took up meditation, I had similar experiences(I do not claim I was experiencing ayn-sof, although I did initially think I had found God/Truth). Certainly the experiences can be described at transcendental.

Reactions: wil
Matt's The Essential Kabbalah from 1996 has many quotes from Zohar & other Kabbalah texts:

"Foreword

KABBALAH, the Jewish mystical tradition, is precious and well hidden. Its symbolism, allusions, and multiple layers of meaning have attracted and confounded readers for centuries. Having studied Kabbalah for some twenty-five years, my attraction has not abated; my confoundedness has not been eliminated, but seasoned by wonder.
In this book I offer a selection of what I consider to be essential teachings from the immense trove of Kabbalah. I have translated the passages from the original Hebrew and Aramaic texts, and supplied notes to guide you through the maze. The introduction traces the history of Kabbalah and explains its salient concepts and symbols. A brief bibliography suggests titles for further study. In rendering the passages from Kabbalah into English, I have at times omitted material. I have taken the liberty of not indicating these omissions with ellipses, so as not to interrupt the flow of the translation. Precise citations are provided in the notes, so that interested readers can refer back to the original.”

Back