Discerning Auras

InLove

at peace
Reaction score
Hi--

Peace to Everyone Here--

I am not quite sure where to post this. I thought it might work here. I am pretty sure I remember reading about this subject in CR somewhere before, but my keyword search did not pull anything up. So, I'd be glad to have information about past conversations, as well as any new responses.

I am quite close with a couple of people (one is a 10-year-old girl) who frequently discuss seeing auras. Recently, the little girl's grandpa passed out of this realm, and before he did, he became very ill. The family was at the hospital with him a lot, and the girl told her mother that his aura was becoming very dark and thin.

This does not make sense to me. This man was greatly at peace, as far as I know. I always thought that an aura had to do with the spiritual, not the physical. I realize not everyone divides the spiritual from the physical, and I very much understand why--to some extent, I don't always. But if one were about to pass into a place of renewal that one has anticipated, I wonder why the aura would not grow brighter and brighter?

So, do auras tell us mostly about well-being? Physical, spiriitual, or both?

InPeace,
InLove

From what I've read, some speculate that there are actually a number of different parts to the human aura. Some of those parts reflect one's physical state, others are more about emotional state, and yet other parts reflect spiritual state.

If the multipart aura theory is correct then the little girl might have been seeing just the part of the aura which displays the physical state, which we'd expect would grow weaker as a person dies. If she had been observing the emotional and spiritual parts of the aura as well she might have noted changes there like the ones you suggested.

Maybe people who see auras don't all see the same parts of the aura, or the whole thing. It's like some people can hear the low range of sounds and others can hear the high range of sounds better, and some people are lucky enough to have good hearing at the whole range.

InLove,

In my experience, and in learning from friends (including my own sister) and Teachers who are clairvoyant in varying degrees, here's what I've found:

Mostly likely this girl was/is able to see the etheric, or `health aura.' The name is telling in itself, as the condition of this aura can indicate much regarding our physical health. And this aura, though it will certainly interact with subtler layers of the aura (at the emotional, mental, & spiritual levels), is distinct.

As usually described, the etheric aura is anywhere from gray, to a light purple, or a vivid violet. It depends on the health of the person in question, their energy level, etc. Also, my understanding is that the aura appears to radiate, almost as through threads of energy (perhaps the nadis, or subtle channels of energy). Thus, in a sick or dying person, the aura may visibly appear to droop, whereas for a heathy person, these threads radiate all around.

The astral (or emotional) portions of the aura are more difficult to see than the etheric, because they require true clairvoyance, although even undeveloped astral sight is not that uncommon (esp. with some mediums). The truly trained clairvoyant is rare, but I could make several recommendations for you, if interested. Perhaps the best case I've ever encountered, is Dora Van Gelder Kunz, who spends most of her book writing about the aura, although she also commisioned an artist to illustrate perhaps 20 different cases of observation of the astral body & aura ... including both young people & old, sick people & healthy, and a few cases of extremely beautiful auras, such as one person who was an artist/architect. This book helped me understand the subject (of the personality levels of the aura immensely). Here's the book on Amazon, and you can "look inside" it. It's affordable, but I consider it by far, one of the most invaluable books in my collection.

As the cover of this book shows, the astral aura is much more vivid, or colorful, than the etheric. Alex Grey, as a clairvoyant observer of the etheric aura, has produced the most impressive paintings/drawings of what this little girl probably saw ... that I've ever seen. I don't dig his writings that much, but this image shows the etheric (with chakras, or energy centers), and here's a closeup. And no, I really don't think Alex made this stuff up, nor Dora V-G Kunz. ;)

~~~~~~~ Extra Stuff ~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are seven primary energy centers, shown fairly well in Alex Grey's artwork, as well as 21 lesser, or secondary centers (where many conduits of energy come together - psychic nerves, so to speak). These chakras, in the etheric body, move energy to & from the astral/emotion level, which is 4th dimensional (not something most of us can easily "picture"). So keep in mind, if viewing Dora Van Gelder Kunz's illustrations, that this is an attempt to render in 2D what really exists 4D and is highly fluidic, except when we are very emotionally calm. She says again & again in her book, that to truly represent the beauty, and constant changing conditions of the astral body & aura - would be impossible!

Now, just for fun, consider that the mind, or mental body & aura, is 5-dimensional. Geometric forms represent or symbolise, our thought, at that level. The body/aura is golden, or brilliant yellow, though also a much less pleasant orange, where we have pride - or a strong personal ego. There can also be an almost muddy brown, for extreme selfishness. By and large, however, the mental level is characterized by golden yellow, and varations thereof. At the subtler levels, where the "Soul vehicle" exists (pure aura, with no form - or `body' to speak of), there is only a beautiful, Golden Radiance, supposedly present even for someone who is as yet spiritually undeveloped. Biblically, this is the `Temple of Solomon,' not built with human hands. It is the true storehouse, wherein we are to lay up treasure. Thus it grows, gradually, into an expression much farther around us (inasmuch as it corresponds to the worlds of time & space) - than we can extend our arms in any direction.

The mental aura, on the other hand, would be about as far as you can extend your arms ... and the astral/emotional aura - well! That's the one which you become acutely aware of ("self-conscious-ness") when everybody gets into the elevator together, and suddenly everyone gets quiet. ;) Everybody's right there in each other's emotional aura - and that's exactly like putting your hand in someone's pocket, eh? lol (So what we all do, usually, is pull our focus inward, away from the periphery of the aura ... and into the double, and many of us also end up focussed within the brow, or Ajna center, until the door opens. It's that feeling of being very concentrated, and centered within the head. You know, so that you can quickly shift your eyes back & forth across your left & right shoulders, to make sure no one's looking at you funny - in the elevator. :p I'm exaggerating, to try and illustrate a point.)

The etheric aura, on the other hand, which the girl would have observed in the hospital, is usually just less than an inch around the dense body (visible physical body) - although this is really the `double,' or the portion of subtle physical matter which interpenetrates every single cell, and every atom, of the outer body. There is also a very faint portion of the aura that may extend a few inches, which would be violet in good health. By the way, to view the etheric, this little girl isn't using psychic abilities. You can see it too, and it's the physical eye that registers those vibrations. We're just unaccustomed. You can train your eye, but it's a very gradual thing, and I find that my eyes water very quickly as I'm not used to the strain of the faster vibrations. So you shouldn't "push it."

But if you observe the haze around streetlights at night - and notice the vibrations (pulsations) within the chroma - that's the etheric (or portions of it). Also, on a nice sunny day, with clear blue skies - as we're having here in January now - just observe the blue field ... and you may start to see movement. If you watch for awhile (and don't stress your eyes too much!), you'll start to pick out clear, swirly things. These are particles, and they'll look like they're "out there" for a long time, but if you learn to see these, you might suddenly realize that they're also right here! These are "vitality globules," or living energy - from the sun (prana, or chi). They seem colorless, but are in fact composed of 7 colored particles - which vivify the subtle body (etheric, in this case), as they are absorbed through the spleen (chakra). On cloudy days, or rainy days, they are still present (else we'd die!), but less plentiful, thus we often feel "low energy" (duh! these popular expressions are quite telling, actually). And as we know, a bright, sunny day can just perk us right up, most of the time. ;)

Hope something in all that helps ...

andrew

Funny, that - in my really stoned days, I used to really notice a violet glow very close around people. I considered that it could be either a spiritual phenomenon, or else a basic visual illusion (a sort of afterimage on the retina) - but reaching an Absolute conclusion was irrelevant, but playing with the perception was part of the learning experience.

I found I had to be pretty relaxed to see it - in a certain "empathic state" (often helped by cannabis) - but that the close violet aura tended to reflect "well-being" in a way that was spiritual, emotional, and health, together - if you feel sh!t, it doesn't matter how spiritual or healthy you otherwise think you are - the aura as much a sense of expression of person, with it much reduced by stress, anxiety, etc.

I had a sense of there being the overall "egg" aura as well, but it was something more "sensed" than seen.

Another pointer as well - I always used to equate the concept of "aura" as being an expression of the human body's natural electro-magnetic field - so the violet area in that regard could be regarded not as a pure spiritual phenomenon, but actually another way of perceiving tensions in the skin. I think it's been mentioned before that emotional states can be very well represented in the skin - not least by way of varying voltages according to mood.

The egg aura I interpreted as being the overall electromagnetic field of the human body, and chakra's as possible nodal points within this field. I was always hoping to be able to see research tested on this one day, but I don't believe I have.

It has actually been my long-standing belief that there's a big correlation between electromagnetism and events that may otherwise be deigned as mystical spiritual experiences - especially by way of so-called "psychic experiences".

2c.

I said:
I was always hoping to be able to see research tested on this one day, but I don't believe I have.

It has actually been my long-standing belief that there's a big correlation between electromagnetism and events that may otherwise be deigned as mystical spiritual experiences - especially by way of so-called "psychic experiences".

Hi Brian,

You may be quite interested in Dr. Valerie Hunt's research. I've read half of a book by her entitled Infinite Mind, which deals in part with human auras as electromagnetic fields.

Pathless said:
Hi Brian,

You may be quite interested in Dr. Valerie Hunt's research. I've read half of a book by her entitled Infinite Mind, which deals in part with human auras as electromagnetic fields.

Interesting material, but I somehow doubt Dr. Hunt's research would be considered valid science by other scientists. It comes across like a lot of "new age" stuff where elusive phenomenon are made to seem more real by the use of scientific jargon that is not always used in scientifically accurate ways.

Another more mainstream scientist who is doing research into paranormal experiences and electromagnetism is Dr. Michael Persinger of Laurentian university in Ontario, Canada. Here's a Wired magazine article about it from a while ago. You can also read the blurb about Persinger on the Laurentian university website.

Isn't it extraordinary how mind is so intent on filtering the difference between known science, as in electromagnetism, and mystical spiritual experience, when there is such incredible wonder in the acceptance of both being created by the same hand.
Amazing wonders can be seen in forces of colour constantly in attendance to both human and planet earth. Seasons painted as though by a great paintbrush before they are ushered into manifestation in the material world. Painted autumn colour washed hues before land and trees turn. Winter holds in amethyst mode. Green electromagnetic life sap rising through trees before spring bursts in all glory. Summer gold before golden fields.
Etherics and webs of hexagonal content stretching far and wide, everything interactive, vibrating, pulsing. We do not feel the earth move, yet it does.
Sun and moon and starlight seeded illumination. And each person their own universe of multidimensional containment.

bgruagach said:
Interesting material, but I somehow doubt Dr. Hunt's research would be considered valid science by other scientists. It comes across like a lot of "new age" stuff where elusive phenomenon are made to seem more real by the use of scientific jargon that is not always used in scientifically accurate ways.

Seems to be quite a conclusion to jump to after simply perusing a website. :cool: Or are you more familiar with her research and education? Personally, science doesn't appeal much to me, as I feel that researchers tend to get mired in their tiny, pedantic areas of research to the exclusion of all else. Academics peering into their microscopes, obsessed with publications and conferences often seem lost to the greater miracles and interconnections present everywhere that Ciel pointed at:

Ciel said:
Amazing wonders can be seen in forces of colour constantly in attendance to both human and planet earth. Seasons painted as though by a great paintbrush before they are ushered into manifestation in the material world. Painted autumn colour washed hues before land and trees turn. Winter holds in amethyst mode. Green electromagnetic life sap rising through trees before spring bursts in all glory. Summer gold before golden fields.
Etherics and webs of hexagonal content stretching far and wide, everything interactive, vibrating, pulsing. We do not feel the earth move, yet it does.
Sun and moon and starlight seeded illumination. And each person their own universe of multidimensional containment.

I prefer holistic, intuitive, creative, artistic, and linguistic approaches myself. Just thought Brian might be interested in Dr. Hunt's studies. :rolleyes:

Agreed, Pathless, that science can be a little too cold & calculating, and even in fields like astronomy I think scientists sometimes miss the bigger picture - although this is one of my personal favorite areas, and I do amateur observation from time to time.

However, I am convinced that much valuable insight has been gained by scientific research into the paranormal, such as by the great J.B. Rhine (who once had his shop at Duke University, just an hour from where I live), and Charles Tart. More recently, folks like Robert Monroe have approached, even as a layperson, the subject of out-of-body experiences objectively, and thus, scientifically. Though not trained as a scientist, the value of Monroe's testimony, and his legacy left in the form of The Monroe Institute (again, just north of me, in Virginia), cannot be overemphasized. I may not be particularly inclined or gung ho to rush out and have my very own OBE ("Fools rush in ... "), but I no longer even question, personally, that they exist, are experienced universally (worldwide), are of signficant import in our study of our super-physical nature & the phenomenon of death ... and should be studied scientifically.

I am interested in checking out Ben's link, and it reminds me of what may be similar research currently underway at the University of Arizona, conducted by Gary Schwartz. This research, called The Afterlife Experiments, has been featured in an HBO special, and can be found here, on Gary's site.

All of this deviates slightly from the question of discerning auras (where firsthand experiences are usually more exciting to me than scientific studies, or 2nd-hand accounts) ... but I think it's related in that science can play a useful role in helping to corroborate the experiences of thousands of people. Our western culture still tends to bow down before the great god, Science (Latin sciens = having knowledge, and scire = to know), but as any epistemologist worth his salt is aware ... there's more than one way to arrive at knowledge/understanding of a thing.

Measuring states of matter which are defined by clairvoyants as beyond the physical ... presents a tremendous challenge to modern, western, empirical science - because if we think carefully, it will be apparent this in order to measure a particular phenonmenon (vibration, etc.) ... we must have an instrument that is itself capable of registering the phenonmenon or vibration in question. Hmmmm. The scanning electron microscope, for example, is capable of measuring matter/energy at such a level (the sub-atomic), precisely because it includes a single atom at its tip, as part of its apparatus. I'm providing this from memory - forgive me if I've oversimplified something, or rendered the technical too non-technical ... but I think this is accurate. (Such a microscope can also manipulate matter at the sub-atomic level, btw, which is the very foundation of nanotechnology, as I understand it.)

Anyway, as estotericists sometimes point out, astral matter (or the realm of the emotions, where auras are more colorful) - much less the realm of mind, or spirit - can in part be defined as ... that world, or realm, where vibration is considerably more rapid than the subtlest portions of the physical. And in simplest terms, this means that if we break particles down beyond the level of proton, electron, and neutron ... we arrive at - quarks - or astral matter. Few scientists have likely considered the implications ... but I suspect they will become clear in time (and soon!).

Yes, that may be the realm of the very, very tiny ... but if esoteric chemistry is correct, then the applications (which is the practical value of science) may be immense! Unfathomable, actually. For example, if quarks (and sub-quarks) really are astral matter - which is, esoterically - by definition, emotional substance ... then to build an apparatus capable of "measuring" the quantum state/field of an entire human being ... is by definition, to be able to literally measure their emotions.

I am probably stating in very obscure terms what has been part & parcel of some kind of electromagnetic field theory (complete with application(s)) ... for years, or decades! :p Walter J. Kilner, in his groundbreaking research into the human aura (and Kirlian photography), was perhaps well ahead of his time 100 years ago when he wrote and published (The Human Aura).

Anyway, I have had the rare privilege of meeting someone, years ago, who is able to observe many levels of the human aura objectively, accurately, and with well-nigh more wisdom than anyone else I know. Only once was I able to observe this, but it was wonderful to be present for such an experience. My own ability is perhaps about 98.5% untapped!

andrew

Thanks for the links - I recall reading about Persinger's work in New Scientist, about using electromagnetic fields to stimulate feelings of spiritual experiences. I think Dr Susan Blackmore may have been working with him for a while, before treating it as a quick ride into Temporal Lobe Epilepsy - therefore "solving" all paranormal experiences. :)

Hi--Peace,All,

Hey, thanks all of you so much. The links and info and thoughts you have posted are very helpful to me! I have long been a believer in the wholistic approach to healing and frankly, to everyday living. Having had many a chance to observe the benefits of sound- and aromatherapy (which has involved some study of chakras, but not as much as I would like so far), I am thrilled to have some new reading material to check out. It seems that much of society is so conditioned to separate life into the scientific vs. spiritual that we miss what is right in front of us, literally speaking to us, around us, and from within us.

I hope the contributions to this conversation keep coming for a while, and I hope to post some more later on. I am facing certain health issues at the moment, and the responses here have awakened some medititations I had forgotten I had. We get bogged down sometimes....

Thanks again:)

InPeace,
InLove

I'm sorry that people have such a poor opinion of scientists. If you were to talk with actual scientists though you'd find that the stereotype of "small-minded people who are obsessed with staring in their microscopes" is just that -- a stereotype.

Some of the most inspirational and big-picture writers are scientists. Carl Sagan and David Suzuki are two that come to mind immediately.

I have friends who are scientists -- and they are more big-picture than a lot of the Pagans I know.

It's just a huge pet peeve of mine when people try to use the language of science to give their nonscientific claims a cloak of respectability. I get just as furious at scammers who try to sell spiritual miracles or spiritual advancement to gullible people -- as though you could just buy spiritual advancement or miracles for the right dollar amount.

Hi Ben--

I have a great respect for science. I believe it is a key factor in understanding what we call the spiritual. Our bud, lunamoth, is a scientist, and she has a great understanding of that connection.

I hope you did not think I was attacking science. Never!!:)

InPeace,
InLove

Hi Ben,

I apologize if I flew off the handle in my previous post. I've been a bit touchy in these forums lately, and think I overreacted, for what that's worth. I admit that I was irritated that you so glibly dismissed the link I had posted. In fact, Dr. Hunt, from what I can tell, is respected in her field. She is a physical therapist and a professor of Kinesiology at UCLA. I recognize that she is more willing than most scientists to associate herself with mysticism and what could be considered "new age" thinking, but to dismiss her scientific research simply becuase of that seems prejudiced.

I concede that science is important and does offer us new and exciting insights into our perceptions of reality; yet, I am not a very scientifically-inclined person. I seem to only be able to get excited about science when research is connected to either practical applications or imaginative and creative theories--quantum physics and its implications, for example.

bgruagach said:
...elusive phenomenon are made to seem more real by the use of scientific jargon that is not always used in scientifically accurate ways.

It's just a huge pet peeve of mine when people try to use the language of science to give their nonscientific claims a cloak of respectability.

In response to that, I would like to point out that certain 'scientific' fields of study--psychology comes to mind--adapt scientific methods and jargon to research some fairly intangible concepts, yet people generally respect them. If you pick up any psychological research journal, you will be flabbergasted by the convoluted terminology that these scientists come up with to get their theoretical points across. It's enough to make one's skin crawl! :eek: ;)

And you know what's wild? If you drop the 's,' you can get 286,000 (image) hits on aura!

I'm curious as to what Wiki might say ....

andrew

Hi all -

I agree with the broadbrush dismissal of science - it does none of us any good, and a lot of good scientists are out there looking.

I think the 'problem' is that such sciences are of a completely different order. I recall in a TV programme on the soul, many quantum physicists came to the conclusion that the next 'quantum leap' would be in the nature of comprehending 'being', or 'consciousness', but that we don't know where to look for the answer. For my part, on a purely amateur level I do not agree that auric energy is necesarily a mode of electromagnetism, as we would surely have been able to measure it by now - we can measure the tidal effect in a teacup, apparently, but again, I am a pure amateur in this regard.

I think Andrew has given plenty of data on the aura.

I could never see auras, but I can sense and touch them, and can sense presences generally. The reason why was explained to me in reference to astrology and physiology, which I have no reason to doubt, involving the balance and play of the chakras.

I did know a woman who saw them all the time. Jean Paul Satre, I believe, wrote about it, too.

In my Hermetic days we practiced aura work, plus healing by hands-on, crystals and flowers, chanting and dance. Astral travel, mental projection.

One thing I never fully sorted was whether two people see the 'same' aura - no two people ever see the same rainbow, but that's angle of incidence, I wonder if the same applies in an obscure way, as many people have different ways of describing and interpreting. I wonder whether the aura is interactive in a way quite unlike plain sight, which is passive.

One thing I believe was conclusive is that illness manifests in the aura before it manifests in the physical, and can be treated there.

What was quite funny was when, some twenty years later, I undertook Reiki attunement, I realised the energy was exactly the same as the studff we had been dealing with all those years ago.

Thomas

I see auras sometimes. I dont know much about them however having never studied them in any way. My eyes are not the greatest so I suppose for a large part of my life I put it down to some anomaly of vision in me. Its not just people I see with auras, the most impressive ones I have seen are around trees.
Science has progressed so phenomenaly over the past 200 years but every door that it opened has led to a corridor of infinitely more doors. Its only a shame that charlatans for one reason another have perpetrated so many hoaxes over the years with the result that finding funding for genuine research is almost impossible. I too believe we are not to far from the 'quantum leap' of understanding exactly what plain such things work on...and thus how to much more effectively harness the benefits to be gained.

TE

Hi, and Peace All--

It is good to see that this thread did not completely stall!

Thomas said:
One thing I never fully sorted was whether two people see the 'same' aura - no two people ever see the same rainbow, but that's angle of incidence, I wonder if the same applies in an obscure way, as many people have different ways of describing and interpreting. I wonder whether the aura is interactive in a way quite unlike plain sight, which is passive.

Tao_Equus said:
My eyes are not the greatest so I suppose for a large part of my life I put it down to some anomaly of vision in me. Its not just people I see with auras, the most impressive ones I have seen are around trees.

I agree--individual perception cannot be ruled out, no matter from which angle one approaches--be it purely scientific or exclusively spiritual, assuming the two can really be completely separated anyway. After all, science can testify that perception has an effect on the pain an individual "feels", and science can tell us what "perfect pitch" in music is, but that does not mean that each individual perceives it as such (ever see American Idol--now there is where pain and pitch often interact!:D).

Thomas said:
One thing I believe was conclusive is that illness manifests in the aura before it manifests in the physical, and can be treated there.

This is an encouraging thought--and I wanted to also address your comment above about the auras around trees. I have actually read somewhere along the way that there are real "tree doctors" who use this science and individual perceptivity (spirituality?) in their work.:)

Thanks for the comments--

InPeace,
InLove

Back